• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news for Lunar fans!

From rpg.net

Originally posted by The Demented One
    Originally posted by Jurgen Hubert
    AFAIK Exigents will come before Lunars anyway.
    That was the original plan, but for a number of reasons - like, "Lunars are really cool and people love them" - we've moved Lunars up ahead of Exigents. Eric Minton and I are currently working on the outline for their book.
    Yes, that means it's very possible Lunars could be out in 2018!

After DB, this is the book my playgroup most wants/needs, so having both of those would go a long way to making Exalted 3rd edition feel like a full game.

It might even make me want to run Exalted again!

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

I am so happy about this. As in... while my playgroup enjoys Solars, I think we all really, really want Lunars. So... yeah. Now, please excuse me while I go dance around the house.

Comment

Quite a reasonable reaction!

Yeah, my players are mostly (but not entirely) happy to play Solars, but a fair few prefer playing Lunars.
      Actually, in my 3rd ed game, there were 5 Solars and 2 Lunars (which, obviously, didn't work brilliantly, mechanics-wise) and in the game I play, we have 3 Solars, a Lunar and a Fair Folk. And I'm only playing a Solar because it's too much hassle to play anything else. I'd much rather play a Lunar (I did play one, but I retired him when we switched to 3rd ed).

Comment

Well that makes sense. Lunars are far more important to the setting in terms of impact, history and relationship dynamic with the already published exalts (they are the DBs number one foe officially and have the weird relationship dynamic with the Solars).

Comment

Very cool! I'm dying to see what the new Lunars can do in this edition - I'm really hoping they're better than in 1e and 2e, very excited!

On the other hand... Exigents was a tremendously important book, because it helped everyone create charms of any kind. As an ST, I'll need to be able to craft half-decent charms for my QCs and NPCs in general if I don't want every one of them to eventually start feeling a bit of the same (been there, done that). I really hope we get Exigents very soon after!

Comment

Originally posted by blackheartz View Post
            Well that makes sense. Lunars are far more important to the setting in terms of impact, history and relationship dynamic with the already published exalts (they are the DBs number one foe officially and have the weird relationship dynamic with the Solars).
            Yeah, definitely. They're a major part of the setting. Arguably more so than Solars, as they've been around for ages.
            Definitely more than Exigents, especially as it was said that there aren't actually that many Exigents around.

I think this is probably a good business decision as well, as it's probably easier to get back old players who played 1st or 2nd ed but haven't bought 3rd, with a fresh new vision of a fan-favourite splat rather than something entirely new.

Comment

I dunno, as someone who's attempting to flesh out a completely new exalt concept and simultaneously attempt to flesh out a playable/ usable alchemical charm set I kinda feel like those guidelines could have been really handy.

Comment

I am glad that they will be coming through with Lunar, though I hope that they do a better job than 2e.

Comment

Revised release order guess

Dragon-Blooded
                  Lunars
                  Exigents
                  Sidereals
                  Getimians
                  Abyssals
                  Liminals
                  Infernals
                  ???
                  Alchemicals
                  ???
                  ???

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I actually expect Abyssals before Sidereals, but honestly, it probably depends how inspired the Devs are feeling about one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      I actually expect Abyssals before Sidereals, but honestly, it probably depends how inspired the Devs are feeling about one or the other.
                      I hope not. Sidereals are more of a setting pillar involved in core conflicts of other major pillar splats. Abyssals (while no less awesome if done right) are a new X factor to the setting (in universe I mean, not that they're new to third edition) far less automatically entwined with the built in conflicts of Lunars, Solars, and Dragon-Blooded.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I hope not. Sidereals are more of a setting pillar involved in core conflicts of other major pillar splats. Abyssals (while no less awesome if done right) are a new X factor to the setting (in universe I mean, not that they're new to third edition) far less automatically entwined with the built in conflicts of Lunars, Solars, and Dragon-Blooded.
                        While a legitimate point, historically Abyssals have always come out before Sidereals, hence the expectation.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
                          Very cool! I'm dying to see what the new Lunars can do in this edition - I'm really hoping they're better than in 1e and 2e, very excited!

On the other hand... Exigents was a tremendously important book, because it helped everyone create charms of any kind. As an ST, I'll need to be able to craft half-decent charms for my QCs and NPCs in general if I don't want every one of them to eventually start feeling a bit of the same (been there, done that). I really hope we get Exigents very soon after!
                          Surely we have higher expectations than just "better than 1e and 2e", or even "better than 1e and 2e combined"...

Comment

I have to admit I'm quite happy about this. The material in the core and dev/writer discussions so far have suggested that Third Edition has a very strong and cohesive thesis for Lunars, and I can't wait to see that realized sooner rather than later.

Exigents should be a jewel to homebrew and provide a flood of content, but those objectives are what's likely to make it a very hard book to write. So it's understandable in terms of design that Lunars would be made first, contributing to a solid picture of exalted mechanics in Ex3 to build on with something as flexible and ambitious as a book on making your own exalts.
                            Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 08-11-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

This is a pretty good decsion-- as people have said, the fact is that the Lunars are, arguably as involved with the setting as the Dragonblooded are. Y ou may or may not meet abyssals or Getimen, but no matter where a solar is in creation, he or she is probably going to run into either a Lunar aligned faction or a Dragonblooded aligned faction.

Comment

Working...
                              X