No announcement yet.

Great news for Lunar fans!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing the Lunar Exalted is more important, since it gives the Dragon-Blooded their Usual Suspects.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I personally would have probably preferred Exigents first, but the rationale for printing Lunars first makes total sense to me. Plus it'll make several of my usual players extremely happy, which is always a bonus.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Well I am quite pleased Dragon Blooded and Lunars are must haves I need as soon as possible. I can homebrew Exigents till they arrive, as they are just... canon homebrews.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

That's nice. But I won't dance or anything until I have Arms of the Chosen. It is already late, and I'm worried that will carry on to the hardbacks.

Join the Strife

Comment

They could really push back Infernal to the end because there are only 50 Infernal Exalted. I really wish that they had progressed by population in 3e, though I know that would have been unpopular on this forum. In an ideal world, I would have preferred DB and Lunar before Solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              They could really push back Infernal to the end because there are only 50 Infernal Exalted. I really wish that they had progressed by population in 3e, though I know that would have been unpopular on this forum. In an ideal world, I would have preferred DB and Lunar before Solar.
              I think it wouldn't have been unpopular just on these forums. DBs before Solars would feel so weird and leave the core protagonists of the game in the cold for so long, I really don't think it would be a viable decision.

Comment

The story of the Solar Exalted as the returning rightful kings wouldn't ring as true for the player base if they were anything but the first splat of each Edition.

Otherwise, there would have been great merit in printing the Exalted in descending order of rarity.

Comment

The Lunars, DBs, and Solars are kind of the most important exalted in the world currently, frankly all three could make a case for initial release rights based on how much they define the setting.

As much as I want the exigent charm guidelines, if i was determining release order those would be the first three books with arms of the chosen and exigents being on the second priority tier.
                  Last edited by A Not Quite Simple Soul; 08-13-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I disagree about the Lunar Exalted. They should always be second or third, and never the first. The first should always be the Solars or the Dragon-Blooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      I honestly would rather Exigents first. I need this homebrew juice. Like, Lunars are cool, but pushing back the exigents seems...off to me. It's like, here's the thing that lets a determined homebrew make any exalted they need in playable form. I was kinda annoyed that Exigents were behind Dragonblooded, because I could homebrew dragonblooded easier with exigents.. Same with Lunars, Infernals, Siderals, or even weird one off stuff. Exigents, as a book, just seem infintely more valuable.
                      The problem is, a part of the player base doesn't homebrew, or uses homebrew from other people, or cannot use homebrew, but still want to play DB, Lunars, Abyssals. I would guess, that this part of the player base is pretty big, even the majority of players. On the other side, even people, who do use homebrew seldom go all the way to build themself a whole splat from scratch. I know I cannot even bring myself to homebrew my own evocation set. No time, no motivation, no idea. And that is for a set in the range of 4-6 charms. Not 10, not 20 and certainly not 150 and more. And every charm needs some balance, something interesting, some flavor. This is a task, where only a small group of players will be able to achive it.

Comment

People severely overstate how easy it'd be to homebrew the big splats using the Exigents book. It's going to have guidelines for creating your own Exigents. unique, or semi-Unique, Exalted bound to a particular god. It's a completely different scale from the Celestials and Dragon-Blooded. It's likely going to be helpful in terms of setting expectations and such, but it's not going to magically make it any less of a huge undertaking. By treating it as a "make anything you want" toolkit, people are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.
                        Last edited by Morty; 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Homebrewing your one single character's charm set* based on the guidelines would be much easier than homebrewing an entire charmset suitable for many different character types.

*Which, quite likely, you wouldn't do all at once: I mean, you don't really need to design the Essence 5 charms when you make the character.

To be honest, I think Exigents sounds like the hardest book to write, so it's probably good for the writers to have already done more than DBs+a bit of the core by the time they get to it.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                            The story of the Solar Exalted as the returning rightful kings wouldn't ring as true for the player base if they were anything but the first splat of each Edition.
                            ​I'd say that depends a bit on how that story is framed; more emphasis on the idea that ancient reincarnated kings is something sinister and disruptive, in other words where the primary story is not being those kings, and it would be serviceable to put them later, if at all.

But that's really the question for a different game with a different tone; perhaps not quite World of Darkness, but showing those roots a bit more.

Hmm, now I want to check the Making Of book again and see if Grabowski said that the decision to refocus the game on the Solars came before or after the realisation that there would be several practical difficulties with effectively realising the idea of them as the strongest if they weren't also the yardstick.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I think that if the game started with the Dragon-Blooded, everyone would fully accept the idea that the Dragon-Blooded are the rightful rulers of the world. After all, they successfully killed the last guys and have been ruling the world for the last thousand years or so. Most of humanity doesn't remember a time when the Dragon-Blooded didn't rule.

If the Solar Exalted were released after the Lunar Exalted, they would FEEL less like kings returning to take back their kingdoms, and more like the old Deathlords -- sore loser ghosts rising from the grave to destroy the world again.

I think the Solar Exalted being the first gives them a legitimacy in the eyes of most players.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                                People severely overstate how easy it'd be to homebrew the big splats using the Exigents book. It's going to have guidelines for creating your own Exigents. unique, or semi-Unique, Exalted bound to a particular god. It's a completely different scale from the Celestials and Dragon-Blooded. It's likely going to be helpful in terms of setting expectations and such, but it's not going to magically make it any less of a huge undertaking. By treating it as a "make anything you want" toolkit, people are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

I mean, I meant for making my own versions of exalted that are far, far away. If I have a player that wants to play an Infernal/Nocturnal/Whatever, the Exigent book would still be helpful. A guide line like that, that helps me understanding mechanics, deisgn philosphy, scaling, etc would make my life infintely easier, because my alternative is working from scratch. Charm guidlines are going to be useful for either, especially since we've been told some exigents do run all the way up to Solar levels in their area.

I'm colored also by having only had 2 players intreasted in lunars, and myself not finding them that intreasting compared to other splats (Abyssals are next to them on the 'eh' scale). That and Exigents is the single book I'm most excited for and would have pushed to 'right after solars'. Dragonblooded I got because they are the most common exalted, and I understand from a lore perspective why to include lunars next.
                                I just was hoping them and sids would wait till after exigents.
                                Edit:
                                I'm also an ST that relies heavily on and is rather comfortable using homebrew.

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

Working...
                                X