Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Exalted Online - Tools, tips, tricks

Hey Exalted forum;

I'm starting an online game of Ex3, and I'm looking for just what the title says. I generally run on Roll20 with a separate voice chat on Skype or Google Hangouts.

My biggest problems are:
    1) Having a dice roller that's robust and easy to use, simple and quick, and displays results for all to see.
    2) Keeping track of initiative.

Roll20's got a good set of dice roller tricks, but unfortunately /roll Xd10>7 is going to get wonky quickly, especially with rerolls. I could build an Excel macro in a Google Sheet (which...I'm pretty sure will work), but that seems a little inelegant. Initiative also presents a problem without everyone grasping on to a table in Roll20 and moving tokens around, though I suppose that could work.

Ideas? Tips? Tricks? Ways you did it?

Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Well, this might require more trust from your players than you're willing to invest (for which I would not condemn you!) but many of the times my group has played online, whoever was making the roll just rolled their actual dice, and the other players accepted the results.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

http://www.miketilly.com/exalted/diceroller.html Is a great diceroller, though it doesn't have an easy way to prove that you really rolled the thing you say you rolled. Though you can take a screenshot and show the result history under it, I suppose.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
      Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
      Some Lintha QCs
      A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

My group uses the native dice roller in roll20 to roll our dice, which isn't the most elegant solution, but it works. So you roll by typing /roll {6d10}>7 to give them a target number of seven. This does not double 10s, but the 10s are green and highly visible in roll20, which makes counting double 10s really easy.

For tracking initiative, I used to use a numerical counter, but on a digital setup that turns into a total slog. Then I found this amazing visual initiative ladder, and it became a really simple easy thing. Here's a screenshot of the 'battle page' I've set up where we use it:

Battle Tracker

We found that visually tracking a character's initiative by moving their token up and down this ladder was easier to remember and more satisfying.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Going off of what Alu said, like even when my group plays in person we just roll our own dice and count our own results and no one checks to see if the other people counted correctly, i don't think being able to see other peoples rolls is terribly neccesary.

But if you want to use a dice chat room my group always used rolz.org it's pretty good
          Allows for logging into a private chat room for your group where you can roll any combination of dice and have it be seen by everyone.
          Haven't used it in a few years though.

Second CIrcle Demon: C'al Siphar The Benevolent Flame; Sorcerous Initiation: Symbiosis Of The Burning Heart; First Circle Demons: Rijal Al'Ghurban & Sharar Al'Najm First Draft Complete!!
          Merit Representing Control Of An Organization: Executive Leadership

Comment

Obviously I'm biased towards my own tools, but I created a Combat Tracker in Google Sheets (nice because everyone can view it at once), which lets you update initiative AND it shuffles the order for combat. Make a copy and give it a whirl.

As for general tools, I like to point people towards that "Exalted 3rd edition useful links and topics" thread stickied at the top of the forums. Lots of people's Exalted tools are linked there, though it's overlooked by people pretty often.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

When using the roll20 dice roller, you can add 'sb' so the end of the command and it'll sort your dice into numbers from highest to lowest. Makes it really easy for the dice tricks.

Eg; /roll Xd10>7sd
              Last edited by Elkovash; 08-19-2017, 07:39 PM.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                Obviously I'm biased towards my own tools, but I created a Combat Tracker in Google Sheets (nice because everyone can view it at once), which lets you update initiative AND it shuffles the order for combat. Make a copy and give it a whirl.

As for general tools, I like to point people towards that "Exalted 3rd edition useful links and topics" thread stickied at the top of the forums. Lots of people's Exalted tools are linked there, though it's overlooked by people pretty often.

I didn't realized you created the combat tracker. I use it, however It keeps breaking during game. Do you have a version that works natively in excel?

Craft rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudova View Post

I didn't realized you created the combat tracker. I use it, however It keeps breaking during game. Do you have a version that works natively in excel?
                  Since my job doesn't utilize Excel, I don't have such a version. But if you want to PM me, I might be able to help you find out what keeps breaking it.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                  I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                    Echoing this. This combat tracker is a GODSEND.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

As someone who uses it regularly for voice chat, I can recommend Discord (https://discordapp.com/) which has the benefit of being free, not even requiring an installed app (there's a browser based version) and fairly simple to set up a text channel attached to your voice channel that can support dice-roller add-ons (list of bots and what features they have can be found at https://www.carbonitex.net/discord/bots).

And Unsung Hero's combat tracker has universally saved us a ton of time in our EX3 games, so thirding that.

Comment

Depends on your r20 subscription level, but my ST has API access and he built a rollable table that displays individual die results (for dice tricks) as well as summarizing the total successes. Then we were able to easily build macros for Join Battle, Withering Attack, Withering Damage, etc. so you just hit a button and the chat shows your results for everyone.

Also, Discord is infinitely superior for voice chat to either Skype or Hangouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                          My group uses the native dice roller in roll20 to roll our dice, which isn't the most elegant solution, but it works. So you roll by typing /roll {6d10}>7 to give them a target number of seven. This does not double 10s, but the 10s are green and highly visible in roll20, which makes counting double 10s really easy.

For tracking initiative, I used to use a numerical counter, but on a digital setup that turns into a total slog. Then I found this amazing visual initiative ladder, and it became a really simple easy thing. Here's a screenshot of the 'battle page' I've set up where we use it:

Battle Tracker

We found that visually tracking a character's initiative by moving their token up and down this ladder was easier to remember and more satisfying.

Could you post a link to the initiative ladder itself somewhere? It sounds very useful.

Originally posted by mizzlfoshizzl View Post
                          Depends on your r20 subscription level, but my ST has API access and he built a rollable table that displays individual die results (for dice tricks) as well as summarizing the total successes. Then we were able to easily build macros for Join Battle, Withering Attack, Withering Damage, etc. so you just hit a button and the chat shows your results for everyone.

Also, Discord is infinitely superior for voice chat to either Skype or Hangouts.

Ooh. Could you post some of this stuff? It sounds extremely handy.

My group uses Roll20 with either the built-in voice chat or Google Hangouts; we haven't tried Discord yet, but maybe we should.

Roll20 lets you set up macros & share them with your players; you can even have a little button in a macro bar on the lower left. We have a Roll macro (/roll ?{Pool|0}d10>7sd), which asks how many dice to roll, then rolls them, displays them sorted highest to lowest, and highlights 10s and 1s -- which makes keeping track of double 10s and dice tricks pretty easy.

We've been using the built-in Roll20 initiative tracker, which has mostly been... okay. That initiative ladder looks like it might be way better, though; you could just keep it hidden in the GM layer and bring it in as needed. Roll20 does let you put all kinds of icons, counters, glows, bars and stuff on tokens, which has been great for tracking stuff like motes, wound and onslaught penalties, special effects, etc.

Comment

back in the old days, when Skype owned itself - I had a 3rd party addon for it that allowed you to resolve dice-rolls in the skype chat. You know /roll7d10 and that kind of stuff. Those were the days

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                              back in the old days, when Skype owned itself - I had a 3rd party addon for it that allowed you to resolve dice-rolls in the skype chat. You know /roll7d10 and that kind of stuff. Those were the days
                              Your stories of a time that Skype was good fascinate me. Please, tell me more, honorable elder.

(Also, uh, if anyone has tips on finding an online game, I have a post up in "Ask a question, get an answer" about that.)

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

Working...
                              X