No announcement yet.

Increasing the number of Lunar Exalted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the Law of Diminishment has to be something that affects every single deity on some perfectly proportional system.
    It's fine to say "Luna was a bit less powerful than the UCS, he made 300 Solars, he/she/they made 400 Lunars, and today she's a bit less powerful than where he's ended up."

Maybe the difference before was smaller than it is now. Maybe making Solars took out far more from him than Lunars did her.

I don't really think it's a big problem.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

The principle of diminishment is dumb and does nothing good for anything and can safely be ignored. Which is not to say divinities being diminished is inherently a bad thing, just making arbitrary rules about it.

Comment

It works for Exigents. I think for the Incarnae, it's the sort of thing that's best just said "yeah, they used to be more powerful than they are now I guess" and left, because doing too much with it wouldn't work well.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
          The principle of diminishment is dumb and does nothing good for anything and can safely be ignored. Which is not to say divinities being diminished is inherently a bad thing, just making arbitrary rules about it.
          I disagree. Its a method to explain why Exalted are the center of attention rather then the Celestines, same with how they made the Yozis consigned to Hell.

It explains why we don't have infinite Solars ruled over by Infinite Sun God.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I don't think that really needs an explanation tbh, but I don't mind the idea that Sol could only make 300 Solars, or only would make 300 Solars for whatever reason.

"Because it made him weaker" just seems a bit dull to me. And the whole thing where there has to be a solid principle of it... like it doesn't need a rule. You could just say "the process of creating an Exigent requires a sacrifice from the God, some are weakened by this, some emboldened by it, some neither, and others are affected in yet more strange ways." Like I said, the idea of a God diminishing in some way to create something is fine, just as an arbitrary "this always must happen" rule I don't like it.

Comment

They don't give us real crunch for it, it is already just an ambiguous facet of reality. I have no problem for it. It makes sense to me if you want to make an omnipotent shard of empowerment much less a few hundred it feels very fine it takes a toll. How is this different then just saying he could only Create 300 because reasons. Seems more satisfying to me.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

The way I see the Law of Diminishment working for the Incarna is that the law only mentions that the users are weakened 'somewhat'. That doesn't mean that they lost mystical power, perhaps they lost their potential to make more exalted? This much, and no more.

Anyway, going to the main thread: in the same way that lunars could not rule the world with being in a 3:1 proportion to sidereals in all this time, I don't see any inherent problem in lunars not automatically ruling the world 3:1 to solars in the Deliberative Age. Following Creation's history, there seem to be many things that work in the 'rule creation' equation other than personal exalted might, with influence over dragon-blooded, yu-shan (temporal power) and the loom (physical infrastructure) being some of them.

Comment

Apologies if I've offended with thread necromancy. My home table is considering our next game-to-be, and since my choice is leaning toward Ex3, I was scrolling through recent-ish threads looking for ideas and news. I thought this one was interesting, so I commented!

Since the topic has picked back up (thanks!) - and since I'm coming to Ex3 with a clean slate - I think I'd like to see the non-Sidereal Celestials as arising when Destiny and need cross through the same mortal. Maybe (rarely) a new Exaltation. More often a veteran Exaltation sympathetic to that mortal. The total number might be an uncountable mystery, with more and older Exaltations drawn back to Creation during a time of great trouble. Where have they been? Was the Jade Prison actually a prison holding Exaltations inside, or was it a repellent, pushing them away? Couple of ideas to chew on!

Comment

Law of Diminishment is a non-sequitor in this discussion anyhow. Luna making 400-some-odd Lunar Exaltations is probably less to do with whether she could make more or less or make them more powerful and more that 400-some-odd was waht she amde, probably what she could make and probably how she made them resulted in there being 400-some-odd.

Law of Diminishment is kind of just an extra bit not needed in this particular case, as the Incarna are indivdiually powerful enough that any diminishment is still irrelevant to how powerful they are as beings, and it mostly serves as a plot point on why everyone who can make powerful beings doesn't, and also to add flavor to Exigence more than it really matter sfor other Exalts. Mostly since the Incarna and Dragons are non-actors at this point in teh setting.

And stuff.
                    Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

At my own table there are 425 Lunars and 425 Solars/Abyssals/Infernals - one for each day and night of the year.

(I considered not counting the 5 days of Calibration, but I don't want to deal with the thousands of "blaze it!" jokes from players)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I completely forgot about the Calibration caste Sidereals!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          At my own table there are 425 Lunars and 425 Solars/Abyssals/Infernals - one for each day and night of the year.

(I considered not counting the 5 days of Calibration, but I don't want to deal with the thousands of "blaze it!" jokes from players)
                          I had a similar thought, but I only had 365 of each

Things were different before the War

Comment

Working...
                          X