Infernal Shintai as sorcery spell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infernal Shintai as sorcery spell

I recall another poster (sorry I've since forgotten who, and the search function is giving me no love) mentioning that Shintai sound somewhat like Sorcery spells that transform the caster, and could be modeled with that system. It does seem that the way such spells grant sub-powers and allow further Evocations to be purchased would be a way to jury-rig the customization feature of Shintai and how charm trees are supposed to branch off of them. In the interest of playing my Infernal character before the 2020s and being able to realize some of his higher essence powers upon advancement, I decided to see if I could work with that.

In this conception, Invulnerable Skin of Bronze would be sort of a baby step available at chargen that could lead to more powerful and overtly demonic transformation spells once one makes it to Celestial Circle Sorcery. I based my prototype Malfeas Shintai on Incomparable Body Arsenal, scaling back some of the offensive oomph and added resilience in favor of Flight, mobility, and a couple of weirder demonic-flavored powers (with a nod to Captain Howdy):

Brazen Hawklord Shintai
    Cost: 30sm, 2wp
    Keywords: None
    Duration: (Essence) hours

The sorcerer reshapes his body into the form of Pazuzu, demonic avatar of the southwestern wind, a raptor-headed figure with four eagle wings and feathers of Malfean brass. The spell grants him benefits equivalent to heavy artifact armor (p. 599) with no mobility penalty, while rendering him capable of functioning without air, completely immune to mundane poisons, and invulnerable to any environmental damage based on wind or air short of the Silent Wind of Hell. It automatically reduces any withering attacks made by air elementals, sorcerously-conjured weather, or similar to minimum damage. Decisive attacks from such sources can only ever deal bashing damage to him and can never fill his Incapacitated health level.

With his quartet of nine-foot wings he is able to fly at speeds of up to 120 miles per hour (200 when diving), doubling 9s on Movement rolls with 12 dice, and may use the Death Dive Special Attack and Eagle Wing Rush Merit (p. 563) in combat. He adds one success to all withering and decisive attack rolls.

A sorcerer who knows Brazen Hawklord Shintai as his control spell may create and master Evocations for it, which can only be used while this spell is active. These Evocations can enhance the armor-nature of this spell, its weapons, or a combination of both.

In addition, characters with an Essence pool gain access to the following powers while this spell is active:

Body Temple Invader (8m, 1wp; Simple; Indefinite): The sorcerer’s spirit may fly free from the stationary anchor of this form into the body of another, possessing them with a Wits + Occult roll against their Resolve. Success controls the target’s senses and motor functions as per Shadow Replacement Technique (p. 408), with the same options for resistance. Countermagic or Charms such as Burning Exorcism Technique may end this effect, but Thaumaturgy is insufficient to do so.

Gleaming Raptor Arsenal (8m; Reflexive; Indefinite): The sorcerer may use this Charm to grant the shintai’s natural armaments the traits of light artifact weapons with tags appropriate to their nature:
    Beak: Lethal, Brawl, Piercing
    Serpentine phallus: Lethal, Archery (Short), Flames
    Talons: Lethal, Brawl
    Wings: Lethal, Brawl, Disarming , Flexible, Reaching
    Locust Famine Exhalation (10m, 1wp; Simple; Instant): The sorcerer opens his beak and allows a swarm of metal-shelled locusts to pour forth, enveloping all nearby in a biting, chittering cloud that blinds and drives them to distraction. This is an environmental hazard to everyone but the sorcerer within short range, with a resistance difficulty equal to the sorcerer’s Intelligence (use [Wits + Resistance]) and Damage 3i/round (B in crash due to stumbling and collisions). Characters who fail the roll suffer a -2 penalty to all actions, while battle groups instead immediately check for rout.

On the next round the swarm expands out to medium range, then to long range on the third. Further than that the swarm is spread too thin to cause such effects, though they continue out to long range for a duration of 5 rounds within each range band, at which point the swarm has dispersed over a mile radius and begun to ravage any crops and leafy vegetation therein.

This power can only be used once during the spell’s duration.

Distortion (Goal Number: 15): Distorting the Brazen Hawklord Shintai forces the opposing sorcerer to feel the full burden of thousands of metal feathers and hollow brass bones, making flight impossible and imposing a -5 penalty to mobility and any action involving the dexterous use of arms for one scene. The caster may attempt to recover the distorted spell to full functionality by making an extended roll with (Wits + Occult), with a difficulty of 3, an interval of one action (which cannot be flurried) and a goal number of the total number of cumulative successes achieved on the distortion roll, rounded up. If she succeeds, the distortion is reversed.

So, thoughts? Suggestions? Thrown rotten fruit?
    Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 09-04-2017, 02:00 PM.

I like it! As a concept it's neat, and most of the mechanics look fine to me, but I'm not good at seeing the full use of them. I'd love to see more!

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Seems like a pretty elegent solution, given what we currently have available.

Given the scale of the transformation I'd consider the Legendary Size merit, balanced by some of the dangers inherit in a "Beware my Ultimate Form!" Sorta power. Definitely a mod to intimacies, maybe limit costs (though 3rd seems to have moved away from those in charm mechs, so maybe not) and the Perilous keyword to keep it sane...

Would these spells be available to anyone capable casts for any spellcaster with Sapphire Circle sorcery?

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

I wanted this one to be basically human-sized so it could still interact with other PCs on their scale, but for Solar Circle I was thinking of something along the lines of Garuda or another roc/giant eagle with feathers of obsidian and verdigrised brass and crowned by a halo of green fire, whose shrieks could shatter mountains and whose shadow spreads terror and ruin where it falls. That would probably have Legendary Size, its own separate (much bigger) Health track, and perhaps its own mote pool distinct from the Infernal's.

I suppose since they're spells in theory they could be cast by anyone with access to the appropriate Circle, though they'd have to be taught by the Yozi or an Infernal who knows them. There'd probably be major psychological repercussions to turning oneself into a Yozi avatar for someone who's not already one of the Chosen of Hell.
        Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, do you have plans for other such spells?

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

I like it! I feel the need to specifically point out (because no one else has; how that happened boggles me) that a spell that can give one a fire-spitting wang is awesomesauce in my book.

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

Thanks, it's nice to see one's work being appreciated!

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              Out of curiosity, do you have plans for other such spells?
              I'll probably work up something for the Solar Circle shintai I mentioned above—I want to see more info on the Evocation system and perhaps fire aspect Terrestrial charms before I go in-depth on the spell build. My character is a Dawn-equivalent that hews fairly close to Malfeas themes, so I probably won't be homebrewing shintai beholden to other Yozis on his behalf unless he develops in unexpected directions during play. But you never know when inspiration might strike...
              Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 09-10-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

And now a couple of Evocations for the shintai:

Devil Scorpion Sting
                Cost: —; Mins: Essence 3
                Type: Permanent
                Duration: Permanent
                Prerequisite Charms: None

This Evocation allows the sorcerer to grow a venomous scorpion tail while in shintai form, one which has the traits of a medium artifact weapon with the tags Lethal, Brawl, Flexible, Piercing, and Reaching. On a successful decisive attack, the sting injects the target with Yozi Venom.

Feathered Chimes Aegis
                Cost: 5m, 3i; Mins: Essence 3
                Type: Simple
                Duration: Indefinite
                Prerequisite Charms: None

The sorcerer may wrap his fourfold wings around himself (and one other human-sized being as a flurried Defend Other action), forming a protective shell of ringing brass feathers which provides heavy cover and adds the sorcerer’s Essence to his soak and Hardness values.

Comment

Glad to see work continuing on this project.

https://exalted-golden-shackles-iron...dianportal.com Visit Golden Shackles, Iron Crowns; a 3rd Edition Exalted Campaign ongoing since 2014

Comment

It's been quite a while thanks to life intruding, but here's the writeup for the idea I mentioned for a second, more powerful shintai. It's based on a dark god from the Roger Zelazny novel Madwand, and after rereading I realized that it should have elements of the Ebon Dragon and possibly other Yozi rather than being Malfeas-only. I wanted its base traits to be a bit more formidable than a second circle demon, so I looked to warstriders (particularly Karvara) for inspiration. One thing I'm not at all sure about is the shintai having a separate mote pool; that was mentioned as a possibility in the Infernals preview but I don't know that it's appropriate, let alone necessary. What do you think?

page 1

page 2

Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                      It's been quite a while thanks to life intruding, but here's the writeup for the idea I mentioned for a second, more powerful shintai. It's based on a dark god from the Roger Zelazny novel Madwand, and after rereading I realized that it should have elements of the Ebon Dragon and possibly other Yozi rather than being Malfeas-only. I wanted its base traits to be a bit more formidable than a second circle demon, so I looked to warstriders (particularly Karvara) for inspiration. One thing I'm not at all sure about is the shintai having a separate mote pool; that was mentioned as a possibility in the Infernals preview but I don't know that it's appropriate, let alone necessary. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_649_1561224333456_496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_650_1561224129343_255[/ATTACH]

The uh. THe image isn't coming through.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Thanks, they were showing up for me but something must have messed up. Hopefully the links I just added will work.

Comment

Came through and looks really cool. I don’t know about the bonus mote pool—will have to see how it actually plays.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Working...
                          X