Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's footing the bill for the dragonblooded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's footing the bill for the dragonblooded?

So with the law of diminishment the various gods of creation are much reduced or even destroyed when they use the exigence. Since the yozi are terrified of it and won't exalt their own champions (as far as we know in 3E but this could change I suppose), we can presume that beings of that caliber are not immune to this effect. Presumably even the sun, moon and stars are actually somewhat diminished from what they once were. So following this line of reasoning... who's power is being used to empower the dragonblood? Were the elemental dragons diminished once and never need to buy in to the cycle again? or are they being constantly drained to fuel the DB empire's expansion. Or is it coming from somewhere else?

Keep in mind that even if the incarnae are immune to diminishment, the yozi aren't and as the devas of a titan, the elemental dragons are not immune to this effect either.

Well, uh... The Elemental Dragons used to be super active...but now they spend most of their time slumbering beneath the Poles or pervading Creation's let lines in a disembodied sorta way. There's lots of lore from previous editions about prehistoric Creation being chaotic and primal and the Dragons choosing to soften up the volcanoes and earthquakes and hurricanes and tsunamis for humanity's sake. That sounds like a consciously chosen diminishment to me.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
    -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Presumably, the investment was all up front, and Gaia imbued lineages of heroes, rather than individuals. Each new Dragon-Blooded doesn't cost Gaia or any component of her any more, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
        Were the elemental dragons diminished once and never need to buy in to the cycle again?
        Assuming this is all still a thing, I would say it works on a principle of having needed that power to first make them, after which they can rely on their own capacity to multiply.

Originally posted by armyofwhispers
        as the devas of a titan
        Not gods or demons, nor mere elementals rising from Creation’s Essence, the Five Elemental Dragons are Gaia’s children.

Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
        The Elemental Dragons used to be super active...but now they spend most of their time slumbering beneath the Poles or pervading Creation's let lines in a disembodied sorta way.
        Hmmm...

​I'm thinking about the time that Lea said that he wrote that part of the Elemental Dragons as a stopgap measure to deal with how a prior freelancer with less familiarity with the game added the idea of them being active in contravention of everything previously written about them, and with little idea about what they were actually doing...

​But also suddenly finding myself slightly less willing to write it off solely because of that, considering other things that have come from running with the implications of impromptu changes, such as Marvel's Phoenix turning out to be a planet-killing monster that needed to be dealt with as such because an artist took it upon himself to add a planet full of intelligent life to the star that she ate.

​(Something that I think I also learned of from Lea)

Originally posted by Ren9077 View Post
        Presumably, the investment was all up front, and Gaia imbued lineages of heroes, rather than individuals. Each new Dragon-Blooded doesn't cost Gaia or any component of her any more, I would think.
        ​Gaia has no significance to the Dragon Blooded.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

The Dragon-Blooded are the Chosen of the Five Elemental Dragons. Their creation was a singular event. Construe accordingly.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            The Dragon-Blooded are the Chosen of the Five Elemental Dragons. Their creation was a singular event. Construe accordingly.
            Can I just say I love how interactive you guys are with the fan base? I love that.

Comment

Yeah; I'd certainly say that "Diminishment happens at the creation of the Exalted, and the 'cost' of the creation of the Terrestrial Exalted takes into account the Exaltation's capacity to multiply."

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

That makes sense. I mean, it's not like the Unconquered Sun is diminished every time he Chooses a new Solar Exalt. It was just the creation of the Solar Exalted as a host that did it as a big one-time payment.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                -Roger Zelazny

Comment

Well honestly I kind of figured that the Dragonblooded don't have an exaltation the way the celestials or the exigents do. My thinking is that due to their bloodline, i.e. descendants of a primordial mixing with a ... whatever the hell Luna is/was at that point, and then those kids mixing with mortals, you end up with a similar three-component soul simply occurring as a sort of emergent process. So I'm not certain that diminishment applies in this case... at least not to creating dragon blooded exaltations, because the exaltations don't exist separately from the people who make up the bloodline.

Comment

Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
                    My thinking is that due to their bloodline, i.e. descendants of a primordial mixing with a ... whatever the hell Luna is/was at that point…
                    Luna has about as much to do with the genesis of the Dragon-Blooded as the Unconquered Sun does. Or John Cena.

Comment

I thought it went Luna + Gaia = Elemental Dragons

Elemental Dragons + Mortals = Dragonblooded families

Comment

The Dragonblood aren't descended from the Dragons. The originals were empowered by the Dragons. It's not like they were half-mortal, half-dragon.

As to the patrimony of the Elemental Dragons... it's never been mentioned. Presumably, they don't have a father: Gaia's a primordial, I'd think she'd hardly require a father for her kids (also, kids might be a metaphor for sub-souls. Or not. That discussion seems to make people irate).

But I can definitely see theologians (the gossipy kind) arguing over who the father of Gaia's children is (after all, human theologians probably over-anthropomorphise the primordials), and Luna's likely the first suggestion, followed by other gods (other primordials would be a more sensible guess, like Cytherea or someone, but most human theologians probably don't know what a primordial is, let alone any of their names beyond Gaia).

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Well then if it was an empowerment then obviously the dragons are footing the bill and got diminished.

Comment

Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
                            Well honestly I kind of figured that the Dragonblooded don't have an exaltation the way the celestials or the exigents do. My thinking is that due to their bloodline, i.e. descendants of a primordial mixing with a ... whatever the hell Luna is/was at that point, and then those kids mixing with mortals, you end up with a similar three-component soul simply occurring as a sort of emergent process. So I'm not certain that diminishment applies in this case... at least not to creating dragon blooded exaltations, because the exaltations don't exist separately from the people who make up the bloodline.
                            I think it's less that they don't exist separately and more that, much like an exalt can't survive without an exaltation, a terrestrial exaltation can't survive without an exalt.

Comment

Gaia did not create the Dragon-Blooded. The Five Elemental Dragons did. They are her children, not her souls (that was 2E which did not have the Law of Diminishment).

If Gaian Exalted are a thing, they do not look like Dragon-Blooded.

But I agree, they paid the price for creating the Bloodlines up front. The ability to increase in number through reproduction is already balanced against them being the least powerful of the Exalted. They shouldn't be a continuous drain on the Dragons.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X