Searching for a bunch of quotes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a bunch of quotes.

I'm looking for some quotes by the devs that sounded really interesting, but I can't find.

1. One made by Stephen Lea Sheppard. It was a quote based on Exalted meeting a high tech setting. He said that the Second breathe gave them the capacity to excel at whatever they put their minds to, and so they would naturally evolve new charms to fit with the technology.

2. Another one is a one about oblivion and exaltations. It is said that Celestial Exaltations are indestructible. Even to oblivion. Thus, at the end, when existence ends, there will still be the Celestial exaltations, 700 shining stars circling the mouth of oblivion in a sea of nothingness.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    Stephen Lea Sheppard… said that the Second breathe gave them the capacity to excel at whatever they put their minds to.
    That really doesn't sound like his usual position; in fact, I found a quote of his that more or less says the opposite.

Here's another, even.

And a third…
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

1. Grabowski, not Sheppard said http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/Thus_Sp...owerCommentary - "Have the Exalted adapted to the modern world? Their gift is that they excel at everything they do. From an Exalted-centric point of view (which I obviously favor, go figure) they won't be "outpaced" or "left behind" by technology because their power is their ability to drag their anime action genre along with them, regardless of setting. In that genre, technology is nothing more than a prop. If exposed to the modern world, their attacks, defenses and Abilities list should shift to reflect their setting. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll increase in power, just that they'll become modern mythic heroes -- Chow Yun-Fat as the god of two-gun killers, rather than as an invincible monk -- and that will increase their power, because eventually you'll get Magical Material-enhanced bioVARGs or something."

(This doesn't really have much to do with the idea of individuals having infinite potential from Exaltation so much as the general not-as-much-fun-ness of positing that Exaltations arrive in a present day world and are then useless modern action genre stuff).

(Though for Stephen I think I remember some argument about Exalted v "The Culture" where Stephen *may* have come down on the side of the Exalted one upping "Culture Minds" at doing what they do by something like the above... before everyone involved in the thread rapidly came to the conclusion that this was a ridiculous argument and that it was particularly ridiculous on anything like respecting the ideas of what Banks established "The Culture" and "Minds" to actually be (and thereby ended the thread)).

2. Nephilpal something somewhen and probably within here -
      http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/Thus_Spake_Zaranephilpal (but I honestly don't care enough about the quote to chase it down).

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
        [COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif](Though for Stephen I think I remember some argument about Exalted v "The Culture" where Stephen *may* have come down on the side of the Exalted one upping "Culture Minds" at doing what they do by something like the above...
        I was looking for that one.

Comment

I was looking for that one.
          Good luck; Stephen Lea Sheppard stayed out of that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            It was supposedly on the whitewolf forum

Comment

It was supposedly on the whitewolf forum
              Again, good luck. I have my doubts that it even exists.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                That doesn't necessarily contradict Grabowski's premise. There are totally Solars who would excel at gunplay, or car chases, or hacking, if they were in a venue where gunplay, car chases, or hacking were a thing. Solar magic would not be stuck at Creation's tech level if you dropped a bunch of Solars into modern Earth. Just, not every Solar is guaranteed to have the capacity to excel at all of gunplay, car chases, hacking, and everything else it is possible for a person to do on modern Earth.

(Also the vast majority of Solars aren't stupid. Leonardo da Vinci would get Photoshop in a couple of days at most, and so would Solar Leonardo da Vinci.)

For the 700 lights shining eternally in oblivion, I think that's something Neph said and I was just repeating it? I'm not super-interested in that assertion one way or the other, though.

This is like the second time someone has tried to ask about that Culture discussion and I still genuinely don't remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                  That doesn't necessarily contradict Grabowski's premise.
                  I didn't say it did; the quote Accelerator attributed to you (at the time) involved the Exaltation giving them the potential for that. Which is obviously something you wouldn't say.
                  Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-20-2017, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X