No announcement yet.

Kickstarter Update #113 - House Tepet preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've read through it properly, the things I really like that the old book didn't really do:

Clear examples of satrapies and places held by the House (you had to go hunting through the Compass books to find them before, and it seemed like some Houses didn't even have any)

Lots of small references to different places and groups (rather than focusing on the same places, like 2nd ed did: it makes the setting feel bigger, without actually filling it up, and it makes it very easy to inspire STs: you could, for example, run a game in the Devil Quag marsh, with a few details to build it on, but plenty of freedom to make things up*)

*This is something done a lot in this edition, that was really only done in 2nd ed in Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the North. Which was the best compass for that reason. Keep it up!

More references to history (The 2nd ed Realm always seemed to have very little history), including ancient heroes and houses (so it doesn't feel like the Realm's history is just the Empress, Mnemon and Ragara), especially references to the Shogunate and how things led from that to the Realm. It often seemed like 2nd ed just ignored the Shogunate, whereas for Dragonblood that should be the history they know most about, not the High First Age.

A bit of philosophy/ideology

A slightly scaled back disaster for Tepet, while still clearly showing how they're weak. It also makes it clear that it was partly due to other Houses (one of my friend feels like the Dragonblood always seem to be made to look incredibly weak compared to Solars or whatever: this kind of makes them seem like an irrelevant threat, when they should be very scary. Of course, the story of Tepet is a story of Dragonblood's losing, and that's what they're doing here, but at least it's not as bad as before).

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
      ...So who's Jochim? I don't remember him at all.
      He was a Solar warlord (presumably Dawn) that was defeated like 100 years before the canon starting date, by Tepet Arada (well, by the Realm, but Arada was maybe the general? That's what made him a famous hero).

Possibly he was the Bull of the North's previous incarnation, as there was only a handful of Dawns.

Of course, it'd be easy to retcon him to be a Lunar or something if they want. But anyway, he was an Anathema warlord.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

He was a Solar warlord (presumably Dawn) that was defeated like 100 years before the canon starting date, by Tepet Arada (well, by the Realm, but Arada was maybe the general? That's what made him a famous hero).

Possibly he was the Bull of the North's previous incarnation, as there was only a handful of Dawns.

Of course, it'd be easy to retcon him to be a Lunar or something if they want. But anyway, he was an Anathema warlord.
        He features in Arada's narrative in Aspect Book: Air.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I'm curious about Niruz - is their "warrior's code" something unique to them? Or is it common for Tepet archers to forswear gender?

I'm also curious about Ejava - she isn't mentioned at all, here or in the corebook. I'm starting to wonder if she'll have any relevance at all in 3rd edition.
          Last edited by semicasual; 09-28-2017, 10:47 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
            I'm also curious about Eljava - she isn't mentioned at all, here or in the corebook. I'm starting to wonder if she'll have any relevance at all in 3rd edition.
            She is - the writeup mentions her being given command of the Red-Piss Legion.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
              She is - the writeup mentions her being given command of the Red-Piss Legion.
              My eyes and Ctrl+F both failed me.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

I'm curious about Niruz - is their "warrior's code" something unique to them? Or is it common for Tepet archers to forswear gender?.
                In context the code in question commands they live honestly as themselves. It doesn't specifically command the forswearing of gender, that's just what honestly living as oneself means in Niruz's case.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

That was the impression I got.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Well "Brotherhood" didn't make any sense for them to use as though it was gender-neutral. And trying to use Sisterhood to be gender neutral and inclusive of men, which would make more sense for the Realm, wouldn't translate to real-world readers.
                    They were both better terms than Hearth, though, and Brotherhood is still the correct form for male+different genders/sexes groups in the current English. I was always quite happy to see a different take on pronouns by the WW staff, but it's starting to feel... eh, dunno, odd? Like if they were somehow scared of people talking about genders at all.

Comment

I'm curious about Niruz - is their "warrior's code" something unique to them? Or is it common for Tepet archers to forswear gender?
                      Niruz is is a nonbinary, agender person. They swore their particular warrior's code to legitimize their identity above reproach with their fellow Tepets - questioning another Tepet's code is just something that is not done. They're meant, among other things, to illustrate one way in which a gender nonconforming Dynast might navigate the Realm's cultural and social mores relating to gender.

I'm also curious about Ejava - she isn't mentioned at all, here or in the corebook. I'm starting to wonder if she'll have any relevance at all in 3rd edition.
                      Ejava gets a write-up in the chapter of Dragon-Blooded NPCs. Because she got that full write-up, we cut her from the Tepet scions of note to free up wordcount.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Ejava gets a write-up in the chapter of Dragon-Blooded NPCs.
                        That's an intriguing proposition.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post

They were both better terms than Hearth, though, and Brotherhood is still the correct form for male+different genders/sexes groups in the current English. I was always quite happy to see a different take on pronouns by the WW staff, but it's starting to feel... eh, dunno, odd? Like if they were somehow scared of people talking about genders at all.
                          I don't really like Hearth (Sworn Kinship is fine though), but Brotherhood honestly feels very odd for groups that aren't all-male. I mean, even in current English. If someone says they're a member of a brotherhood, I'd probably assume they were part of some all-male society (for example, Catholic monks or lay brothers). I wouldn't assume it would include women.

Comment

So I do like that 3rd ed seems to have a clearer picture of how the Realm works. The previous editions often contradicted themselves on House Legions and Imperial Legions. Here though it sounds like Imperial legions were divided up by the houses? Could it be more then 3 Tepet legions were lost to the Bull in this edition? It sounds like the house as a whole doesn't have two obols to rub together. While I know the Tepet Legions have high standards, and expect elite tools and equipment, even a dying house one would think would be able to raise up a full legion, I mean aren't Realm Legions 5k soldiers? Is it purely because they don't have enough Scions fill out enough officer positions? It sounds like the House as a whole doesn't have or barely has resource 5, but I get the impression even a dying house should have access to more then a single resource five worth of income. So if the players play a Brotherhood of Tepet Scions and they have resources 4, 5, 4, 5, and 2 that sounds like they are richer then the rest of their house combined.

But very interesting! I love the format, if the other houses are as good I will be pleased.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

So, I've been burned out on Exalted a long time by now; I was introduced in First Edition, when one of my best friends ran Exalted for me and later gave me Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded as a birthday present. I instantly fell in love and they have been my favourite Exalted ever since, during Second Edition I somewhat drifted out because I was increasingly tired of how they were treated and around the announcement of Third Edition I was hyped again for a few months before I started losing interest again, I genuinely planned to quit playing in a few months.

Then this was released.

I don't like Third Edition, I think it's okay at best, I think it's full of flaws.

This made me feel like 16-year-old me back in First Edition with eyes full of stars upon seeing something wholly new. It was excellent; the writing was the perfect blend of epic mythology and politics that I do so adore about Exalted, it paints the Tepet (one of my favourite Houses) in a light that makes me want to engage with them, want to play with them and investigate them and dream up the ancient annals of Tepet history and their Shogunate predecessors who laid the groundwork of what would come. It makes me want to see the famed siege of the Imperial City, led by Tepet himself, it makes me want to read about the turbulent romances and dramatic battles between the Melaist Tepet and the other Houses among this clutch of Scarlet dragons.

So I want to extend a huge thanks to the developers Robert Vance and Eric Minton for this. It was everything I could have asked for and more; if the rest of the book is painted with a brush even half as detailed and mythical as this, I will officially declare it one of the best Exalted books ever, to sit with Scavenger Sons, Games of Divinity, Manacle and Coin and Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded on my shelf as a cherished possession.

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

"The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post
                                So, I've been burned out on Exalted a long time by now; I was introduced in First Edition, when one of my best friends ran Exalted for me and later gave me Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded as a birthday present. I instantly fell in love and they have been my favourite Exalted ever since, during Second Edition I somewhat drifted out because I was increasingly tired of how they were treated and around the announcement of Third Edition I was hyped again for a few months before I started losing interest again, I genuinely planned to quit playing in a few months.

Then this was released.

I don't like Third Edition, I think it's okay at best, I think it's full of flaws.

This made me feel like 16-year-old me back in First Edition with eyes full of stars upon seeing something wholly new. It was excellent; the writing was the perfect blend of epic mythology and politics that I do so adore about Exalted, it paints the Tepet (one of my favourite Houses) in a light that makes me want to engage with them, want to play with them and investigate them and dream up the ancient annals of Tepet history and their Shogunate predecessors who laid the groundwork of what would come. It makes me want to see the famed siege of the Imperial City, led by Tepet himself, it makes me want to read about the turbulent romances and dramatic battles between the Melaist Tepet and the other Houses among this clutch of Scarlet dragons.

So I want to extend a huge thanks to the developers Robert Vance and Eric Minton for this. It was everything I could have asked for and more; if the rest of the book is painted with a brush even half as detailed and mythical as this, I will officially declare it one of the best Exalted books ever, to sit with Scavenger Sons, Games of Divinity, Manacle and Coin and Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded on my shelf as a cherished possession.
                                ^____________^

^that is the size of the smile on my face right now.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X