Kickstarter Update #113 - House Tepet preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it very much!

Since I do have a strong opinion on the matter I would like to add that I am not someone who agrees with the "nonbinary, agender" stuff being real. It is, to me, an ideology-based belief just like caste systems are.
    But inserted this way, as an example that allows those who want to play characters like that, have npcs like it or simply as a lonely anomaly I really don't see why one should object.
    Or put another way, I'd usually object, but this is done in a manner I find easy to ignore or use, even if one has a dislike for such things. It is simply a part of the setting, and the basic idea behind those oaths being so highly honored that it is beyond questioning. It is something that is easy to use as the basis for characters and stories.
    (Should one wish to discuss this topic with me, feel free to send me a message, I am open to discussion.)

Having said that, I love the imagery Ithen and the Vale of Reverie conjure up in my mind. The other two I found somewhat bland, on their own. I'd still like to once again congratulate the writers on giving out just enough to spark the imagination and set the stage.
    I also like the Scions of Note a lot, without exception, very much. Again, thank you dear writers. I am certain to use all of them, which isn't something I believe I've ever said about any block of provided npcs in any game ever before.

3EX Martial Arts basic overview (Weapons, Armor, Attributes & Abilities)

Comment

I demand more Tepet Elana! Surely a powerful and independent magistrate who enjoyed the favor of the Empress before she vanished would face pressure from her House to aid them in its time of need.

Seriously tho, this was pretty great. It's precisely what the House writeups should be. Could maybe stand to be a bit more history in there, a bit more "this is how the ebb and flow of power has run over the centuries, the Houses we were friends with which became enemies which became friends again," that sort of thing, but the focus on the politics, the economy, the weaknesses, strengths, and resources of the House are going to be of immense aid to both players and GMs.

Other thoughts... I'm now very, very curious as to what's up with House Cathak, as the behavior described of them seems somewhat out-of-character to how the Cathak's and especially Cathak Cainan have been portrayed in the past. That's not a complaint! That's me being curious.

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
      First impressions.
      I like that the casualty figures have been dialed back considerably so that the main threat they face is a damage to their brand rather than a need to replenish their numbers asap. Also curiously light on Ejava (in a good way) rather than her being their great white hope.
      Really? Because the impression I'm getting is the precise opposite; it seems like Futile Blood was even more devastating to House Tepet than it was in previous editions. Indeed, I would say that in prior editions their main problem was "brand damage" and in this one the main problem is "holy fuck, everyone died." Half a legions worth of rank-and-file soldiers is what that had left over, and that's what, 2500 men? That's pathetically few in the context of the Realm. There are probably Dragon-Blooded ruling vest-pocket petty kingdoms in the hinterlands of Creation who can muster more bodies.

This is not to say they don't have a brand problem, but they do kinda also have a massive manpower problem as well.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Oh hells! Tepet Orino... such an unfortunate name for a character when you say it in spanish.

It literally says "Tepet I pee".

Well I'll obviouly rename the guy for my games.

Join the Strife

Comment

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
          the behavior described of them seems somewhat out-of-character to how the Cathak's and especially Cathak Cainan have been portrayed in the past.
          ​I am interested in exploring this. What would be your assessment of these people from previous Editions?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            Oh hells! Tepet Orino... such an unfortunate name for a character when you say it in spanish.

The gal.

You can try for an "american way" of saying it, like ourainou, or something. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Niruz is is a nonbinary, agender person. They swore their particular warrior's code to legitimize their identity above reproach with their fellow Tepets - questioning another Tepet's code is just something that is not done. They're meant, among other things, to illustrate one way in which a gender nonconforming Dynast might navigate the Realm's cultural and social mores relating to gender.
              I'm really glad it was done this way. It's won over some of the people in my group who were concerned that the long and short of the character would be "is gender non-binary". Well done.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Um. Whoops!

We'll see about changing that in editing.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Really? Because the impression I'm getting is the precise opposite; it seems like Futile Blood was even more devastating to House Tepet than it was in previous editions. Indeed, I would say that in prior editions their main problem was "brand damage" and in this one the main problem is "holy fuck, everyone died." Half a legions worth of rank-and-file soldiers is what that had left over, and that's what, 2500 men? That's pathetically few in the context of the Realm. There are probably Dragon-Blooded ruling vest-pocket petty kingdoms in the hinterlands of Creation who can muster more bodies.

This is not to say they don't have a brand problem, but they do kinda also have a massive manpower problem as well.
                  Then you appear to have been rejecting 2e's reality and substituting it with your own.
                  Originally posted by MoEP:Dragon-Blooded page 47
                  The Dragon-Blooded of House Tepet were reduced to just over a third of their previous numbers, most of whom were retired elders in teaching positions or students in the academies.

Assorted homebrew goes here.
                  Please help the Ex3 wiki grow. Even if it's just posting existing homebrew there so there's less chance of losing it.

Comment

Then you appear to have been rejecting 2e's reality and substituting it with your own.
                    In fairness, that reality never made a lot of sense, since it always read as a total ROFLstomp of the Legions, rather than a combination of losses with some wins at terrible cost and betrayal. This at least makes more sense when you think of it as something they would have won had they gotten the support they needed and should have had.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Eldritch View Post
                      Since I do have a strong opinion on the matter I would like to add that I am not someone who agrees with the "nonbinary, agender" stuff being real. It is, to me, an ideology-based belief just like caste systems are.
                      You don't have to like nonbinary and agender people, but you do not have the right to invalidate their identities on these forums. Rule 1 is respect other people, and this is disrespectful of the many queer members of these forums, as well as genderqueer and agender people in general.
                      Last edited by Charlaquin; 09-28-2017, 05:11 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I haven't read the associated background from previous editions, but isn't it a really big thing that just five solars in the hinterlands are able to amass enough military power to gut an entire great house? It seems to me that would be enough of a threat to stifle inter-house rivalries even in the Empress' absence, at least until the Bull's forces could be scattered.

Comment

With respect, Lionness, even if I was completely and utterly wrong I don't think my statements rise to the level of being so bad that they warrant this level of direct insult. You can tell me you think I'm wrong without moving all the way to "you are delusional and denying reality."

The Dragon-Blooded of House Tepet were reduced to just over a third of their previous numbers, most of whom were retired elders in teaching positions or students in the academies.
                          Ah, I see. You were referring specifically to Dragon-Blooded losses, yes? Which are indeed far less severe in this edition than in previous ones.

I thought you were referring to overall loses, which I think are still more severe in this one. I don't think Tepet was wiped all the way down to two and a half thousand men in prior ones. I could be wrong, tho!

EDITED TO ADD: Now that I have had a chance to go through and look at things, it would appear that information on this subject in prior editions is somewhat contradictory, but I believe that Lioness is in fact more right than I am; a number of sources, including the MoEP, seem to assume that the Tepets just got completely wiped out at futile blood, that they lost literally everything but a tiny handful of survivors, including Arada. That makes salvaging half a legion a big upgrade in 3e. Other peripheral sources seem to act like House Tepet still has some military might, but that's the main one, so... yeah. That's on me.
                          Although thinking about it further, some of the logistical stuff is unclear from this preview document. Part of it refers to Tepet making a play for the throne with "House legions," which at this point it has one and a half of if you count the Vermillion Legion. It talks about Ejava resigning her Imperial commission to serve her House... but weren't all the Imperial legions chopped up among the various houses anyway? That sort of takes the decision out of her hands, you can't "resign" your commission if the army it was part of vanishes out from underneath.
                          Last edited by Murcushio; 09-28-2017, 08:19 PM.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                            I haven't read the associated background from previous editions, but isn't it a really big thing that just five solars in the hinterlands are able to amass enough military power to gut an entire great house? It seems to me that would be enough of a threat to stifle inter-house rivalries even in the Empress' absence, at least until the Bull's forces could be scattered.
                            The Bull's victory was sufficiently pyrrhic that the rest of the Dynasty has largely been able to view the campaign as a Realm victory.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

With respect, Lionness, even if I was completely and utterly wrong I don't think my statements rise to the level of being so bad that they warrant this level of direct insult. You can tell me you think I'm wrong without moving all the way to "you are delusional and denying reality."
                              It's a quote from a TV show, dude.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                                ​I am interested in exploring this. What would be your assessment of these people from previous Editions?
                                Glad to oblige, Isator.

In 2e, Cathak Cainan is described as a "truly pious soul" with a history of "vigorous participation in the Wyld Hunt." He is an "honest man" and he "he respects alliances and partnerships and eschews the paranoia that plagues many of the other Dynastic Houses."

House Cathak and Cainan, in general, are portrayed as generally upright, honorable people. They aren't above playing politics; they were just as quick to start carving up the Realm once the other Great Houses started playing that game and it was obvious that they could either play it themselves or be left out in the cold. But they're very big on family, duty, honor, and will generally act with an eye towards the good of the Realm when they possibly can.

Now, it should go without saying that this is 2e, and things change. Indeed, House Tepet itself has changed a lot; it used to have a thing where it brutally pitted its scions against each other in order to drive them to excellence, and that's been gone for awhile.

But I find it hard to reconcile the super-pious, deeply honest and honorable military man portrayed in 2e not only failing to march to the aid of House Tepet when it was hip-deep in a brutal, knifes-edge war against the most dangerous Anathema warlord to come out of the north in centuries, but afterwards repeatedly kicking the Tepets while they're down. This seems out-of-character for the previous incarnations of Cainan, who, as a devout Immaculate and military man with a long association with the Wyld Hunt, would take threats like the Bull very seriously.

So I'm guessing that things regarding House Cathak and Cainan have changed a bit. Either that or we're not getting the full story behind their actions re: Arada's campaign against the Bull. One of the two.

Comment

Working...
                                X