No announcement yet.

Kickstarter Update #113 - House Tepet preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that in 1e, Cathak Cainan was noted for the brutality with which he put down satrapial rebellions -- for all that he was personable when dealing with equals and sexy when illustrated by Melissa Uran, he was ruthless as fuck when looking out for his family's interests. 2e took a lot of the edge off him.

(While simultaneously making Mnemon much more explicitly horrible.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

It's a quote from a TV show, dude.
      Technically, a movie first, thank you very much SAO Abridged...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
        I haven't read the associated background from previous editions, but isn't it a really big thing that just five solars in the hinterlands are able to amass enough military power to gut an entire great house? It seems to me that would be enough of a threat to stifle inter-house rivalries even in the Empress' absence, at least until the Bull's forces could be scattered.
        How many men did King's Landing send to the Wall to defend it from the Wildlings when Mance Rayder welded together a hundred tribes?

Comment

I'd have to look back at the description again to get some specifics, but my read on this insight into House Cathak, as I recall it, would be that their contribution to betraying House Tepet was kind of stoically watching their trouble from afar and then turning their backs on them, and thereafter having a stance of respecting Tepet as an enemy enough to not want them to have any assets they might use to restore their strength.

​That being said, I would also wonder if each House write-up might be intended as coloured somewhat by the perspective of the House in question. I would be interested to see what a new write-up of Cathak has to say about Tepet, and if that might offer a more complete picture of the House.

That in addition to Lea's point about moves that sanitised the House a bit.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

This was fantastic. The houses appear to be getting the Octet treatment from CoCD:A, which IIRC Eric had a big part in?

This was like getting to read the Estasia write up all over again.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

please........let Tepet be happy........I'm begging you.................................

Of all the stuff in this preview I think the warrior code stuff is honestly what grabs me the most. It's so powerful in understanding motives, and so promising for PC concepts.

But sexually.

Comment

There are a lot of changes to the setting and House Tepet in 3E. I figured I would piece together as much of it that I could spot including some commentary and speculation.

- On the founding of House Tepet: In 1E lord Tepet becomes Imperial Consort in RY362, over a century after the Empress had consolidated the Blessed Isle and much of the Threshold. In 3E he's heir to a major Shogunate power, heavily implied basing from Lord's Crossing, that marched on the Imperial City itself just prior to her taking him as consort. I suspect we're going to see their courtship moved up in the timeline to match the period it best fits in, perhaps even replacing consort Jeresh entirely, though it might also imply a major domestic rebellion in the middle of the reign of the Scarlet Empress. Given that the Iselsi attempt their assassination plot in RY303, Tepet's war might even be related to that?

- House Tepet openly referred to as "Melaist" in their traditions is new, even adding the yamabushi (mountainous warrior monks) to their ranks to emphasize it. Their new religious additions seem to mirror how Lookshy operates, integrated their monks into Seventh Legion structure, relating to Tepet heritage calling back to the Shogunate.

- The structure of the House is nominally the same, yet the reasons for it are drastically changed. In 1E the children and grandchildren of Tepet have been running the House for centuries with their bickering and contradictory aims keeping them weaker than they would otherwise have been; now in 3E we have a single matriach Tepet Usala who fell against the Bull, with the elder council hastily formed recently. The preview skips mention for any of the various households and their leaders (Marek, Vergus, Berel, Nerigus, Tilis and Deramol) and the differing economic situations between them. The end result is that House Tepet's prospects now mirror what only the Marek family faced in 1E after the Tepet merchant interests have been erased from the presentation.

- I'm uncertain why Ejava would have to retire from the Imperial Legions to command the Red-Piss, an Imperial Legion, unless the nature of the Houses seizing control has changed. That one line is either an error or it carries implications. In 1E the Imperial Legions had their funding stripped by the Thousand Scales so that the Houses could assert control, yet the institutions of the remaining 31 Legions are still nominally part of the Imperial Service. Perhaps in 3E all the legions were completely disbanded and reformed under House banners?

- There was some ambiguity before over whether the legions lost against the Bull were Imperial Legions sponsored by House Tepet or actual troops belonging to the House, mostly because several of the officers named from the conflict serve in Imperial Legions. This ambiguity has been cleared up for 3E thankfully.

- New ambiguity has been introduced, however, on why Tepet Arada is a black sheep of the family. The introduction of Tepet Usala as "commander of the Tepet Legions and house matriarch" is an enormous change, but a minor aspect of it is rewriting Tepet Arada's backstory. He's no longer in charge of the war against the Bull and no longer directly responsible for the loss. Is it a "come back with your shield or on it?" scenario perhaps?

- The Enemies And Alliances section has an extremely strange section on House Sesus deliberately cheating the other Houses on a sworn deal where they would take on Tepet debts in exchange for taking the lion's eagle's share of their satrapies. I'm uncertain what to make of it, honestly. It's a dumb move that means none of the other powers can trust your word any longer committed by one of the major players in the race for the Throne. Possibly new House Sesus thinks they're in a make-or-break situation to win? Or that the Ragara and other betrayed powers will soon no longer be a factor? I can't see how tribute from northern states is possibly worth the ruination of your credit and reputation, but have to see how it fits in with the rest of the House write-ups.

- House Cathak have always been enormous jackasses, no change there! But absent from this section is House V'neef, who had multiple notable interactions with the Tepets in previous editions. There used to be marriage proposals from V'neef to Tepet families prior to the disasters of the northern wars against the Bull; now the power relationship was reversed, with Tepets pursing negotiations and V'neef demurring. There was Tepet Vergus stressing his friendship with Princess V'neef with attempts to enter her wine monopoly. There was even a fist-fight in the Deliberative between Tepet and V'neef senators that saw two deaths! The potential Iselsi alliance is new and strange... previously this offer was one tendered from Iselsi to Sesus and framed in terms of ensuring survival over revenge,so I'm wondering if we see a very different Iselsi come their reveal in 3E.

- Both the Major Holdings and House Economics sections heavily downplay the strengths of Lord's Crossing Dominion compared to before. It's to the point I'm wondering if the geographic changes of the map and the introduction of the yamabushi are going to emphasize Tepet holdings as mountainous strongholds and edit out their inland trade hub and fertile farmland, thus explaining the two missing merchant households.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjo View Post
                  - House Cathak have always been enormous jackasses, no change there! But absent from this section is House V'neef, who had multiple notable interactions with the Tepets in previous editions. There used to be marriage proposals from V'neef to Tepet families prior to the disasters of the northern wars against the Bull; now the power relationship was reversed, with Tepets pursing negotiations and V'neef demurring. There was Tepet Vergus stressing his friendship with Princess V'neef with attempts to enter her wine monopoly. There was even a fist-fight in the Deliberative between Tepet and V'neef senators that saw two deaths! The potential Iselsi alliance is new and strange... previously this offer was one tendered from Iselsi to Sesus and framed in terms of ensuring survival over revenge,so I'm wondering if we see a very different Iselsi come their reveal in 3E.

- Both the Major Holdings and House Economics sections heavily downplay the strengths of Lord's Crossing Dominion compared to before. It's to the point I'm wondering if the geographic changes of the map and the introduction of the yamabushi are going to emphasize Tepet holdings as mountainous strongholds and edit out their inland trade hub and fertile farmland, thus explaining the two missing merchant households.
                  Perhaps on a related note, in Ex2, Tepet was treading on Nellens' toes by directing these households to explore new business opportunities to make up for their losses, while Nellens was trying to stand on their own. In the preview, Nellens is angling to form a military coalition with Tepet by offering troops and financial aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjo View Post
                    Princess V'neef
                    ​Who?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Now, *this* is how you setting. Great work. Makes the old new in an amazing way, and adds to the setting. Shade, colour, suggestion, life. Probably my favourite Third setting prose, pound for pound (and compares very favourably to much of First to boot).

Comment

A preview that really inspired me. I think it eliminates House Tepet as resource for the game, other works didnt manage. Just a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                          I think it eliminates House Tepet as resource for the game, other works didnt manage.
                          What? Not sure what you mean, here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                            The Bull's victory was sufficiently pyrrhic that the rest of the Dynasty has largely been able to view the campaign as a Realm victory.
                            Ah, that makes more sense then. Between the preview and what I recall from the 3e core, I'd been left with the impression that the Bull was a growing threat rather than one largely spent on the bloodbath. If winning depleted his armies enough that he lost control of the regions he'd consolidated, it is effectively a Realm victory, albeit a costly one.

I'd imagine his recent example of what a handful of Solars can stir up when not immediately stomped out by the Wyld Hunt would have the remaining Dynasts going to Defcon Minus Eleventy-One when they find out that all 300+ are back in play,

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                              I'd imagine his recent example of what a handful of Solars can stir up when not immediately stomped out by the Wyld Hunt would have the remaining Dynasts going to Defcon Minus Eleventy-One when they find out that all 300+ are back in play,
                              I think the real world provides ample counterexamples.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

So are we talking Yurgen's victory having been so severe that it sapped his momentum and he's got to take a moment to slow down and rebuild his forces, or that it results in all of his prior victories being rendered moot?

Comment

Working...
                                X