Kickstarter Update #113 - House Tepet preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
    I'd imagine his recent example of what a handful of Solars can stir up when not immediately stomped out by the Wyld Hunt would have the remaining Dynasts going to Defcon Minus Eleventy-One when they find out that all 300+ are back in play,
    How many men did King's Landing send to the Wall to defend it from the Others after a wight attacked Lord Commander Jeor Mormont in his bedchamber?

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Who?
      Princess V'neef, founder of House V'neef and daughter of the Empress.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjo View Post
        Oh, okay, you mean just V'neef. They don't get called "Prince" or "Princess." Doing so would probably put weird ideas in people's heads about succession in a way that neither the writers nor the Empress would be too keen on.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-29-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

This is good stuff and removes my apprehensions about how the worldbuilding would play out. There is a lot of stuff in here, but none of it seems amenable to the canon-mining-and-hollow-out method of thinking as previous edition setting stuff did. This allows for more stories to be told. I am *thrilled* with this approach.

Now the only thing which can potentially disappoint me is the mechanics. Let's wait and see....

Comment

So are we talking Yurgen's victory having been so severe that it sapped his momentum and he's got to take a moment to slow down and rebuild his forces, or that it results in all of his prior victories being rendered moot?
            False dichotomy. The Bull has suffered significant losses and reverses, but he still retains some adherents and controls some territory.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjo View Post

The Realm don't do princesses.

And stuff.
              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                Oh, okay, you mean just V'neef. They don't get called "Prince" or "Princess." Doing so would probably put weird ideas in people's heads about succession in a way that neither the writers nor the Empress would be too keen on.

I could have sworn that the books used Prince Ragara and Princess Mnemon but I think that's something from our own long-running DB game that I assumed was canon. Thanks for pointing it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                  False dichotomy.
                  ​A false dichotomy would be if I assert that if not X, then Y.

​I wasn't saying those were the only two options, I was just making a point about not jumping straight from "other Houses view the result with Kaneko as a victory" to "winning depleted his armies enough that he lost control of the regions he'd consolidated".

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

I think the real world provides ample counterexamples.
                    Hell, not just the real world, the setting itself.

The Realm's ability to deal with Anathema who have consolidated power as opposed to being a lone hero still figuring out this whole "Exalted" thing has always been severely curtailed by their infighting in all prior editions, and has never really provided sufficient incentive on them to stop that infighting. It's a collective action problem, exacerbated by the "let's you and him fight" social structure the Empress promoted.

Example #1 of this is Thorns. Mask of Winters seized an actual Realm satrapy that's less than a week by ship from the Imperial City itself, on the shore of the inland sea, killing a whole mess of Dynasts to do it... and they have jack shit as a response. They didn't unify for one second.

In 3e, you've got Perfect Soul, who did the same exact thing while glowing gold instead of black and has a circle backing her up. Realm... has not reacted strongly. Hell, in 3e there are Solars with big enough balls to operate openly on the Blessed Isle and not instantly be vaporized; that's in the chapter fiction.

And the Dynasts may or may not in fact already know that all of the Solars are back, or at least some of them. In 3e, the Sidereals are no longer a kind of Anathema; they're a rare and mysterious kind of Exalt who have done their best to erase themselves from history but they're still known to some and they're known to be friends and allies to the Realm. I'd be surprised if they hadn't informed a bunch of important Dynasts they consider allies that the Solars are back in huge numbers and they should really get their shit together. Said Dynasts may be all "sure, I'd love to. Get Sesus off my back and tell Ragara to stop buying up my debt and I'll happily give the Wyld Hunt a couple legions. So long as a member of my House is in command, of course."

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      I could well imagine that V'neef might, now the Empress is gone, start calling herself Princess V'neef.
                      Probably not (because it'd enrage Mnemon) but possibly.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                        Ah, I see. You were referring specifically to Dragon-Blooded losses, yes?
                        We knew that the Dragon-Blooded officers were almost entirely wiped out with little to suggest that the mortal legions were being spared. Quite the contrary.
                        Originally posted by Blessed Isle page 118
                        The economy of Lord’s Crossing Dominion has been cast into some chaos with the destruction of the Tepet Legions at the hands of the Bull of the North. Nearly every citizen of Lord’s Crossing (and the dominion as a whole) lost a parent, sibling or child in that destruction, and morale is at an all-time low.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

I could well imagine that V'neef might, now the Empress is gone, start calling herself Princess V'neef.
                          ​But why? Why assume that such titles are even part of their cultural perspective?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

It's actually especially odd in the context of the Realm in part because:
                            1) The Realm doesn't really do royal titles. Never has, save for Empress. Everyone else gets the title for their office or rank, but it kind of is notable in the setting how Dynasts don't go around flautning a dozen useless titles like in a lot of fantasy dyansties. Butyou're...a Senator because you'r ein teh Senate. You're a General because you lead troops. You're the Treasurer because you run the god damned Treasury. There just never has been a vibe for the setting where titels that don't do anything are anything but nicknames. Someone si the Wind-Dnacer because he earned that as a nickname, not because soem ceremonial title called Wind-Dancer existed.

2) For the Great Houses and the Empress' children this is more the case. The big thing there is you get basically to be your name and nothing else adorning it. That you are V'Neef and every motherfucker in your house has your name as a stamp on them is the power there. You need nothing else, you stand alone there. You are the title.

3) The Realm, being kind of Roman-inspired there, probably also tends to treat foreign royal titles as something weaker/lesser states do. Princess especailly since it implies someone who is not in power, which the heads of Hosues are very much are with each House being almost a megacorp in itself. To me taking on a title like Prince or whatnot in the Realm is like a Roman going and declaring themselves Rex. It's something barbarians do, not peoplew ho already rule the damned world.

And stuff.
                            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

​But why? Why assume that such titles are even part of their cultural perspective?
                              Actually, I don't.

But rather, with the Empress missing, everyone's wondering... who inherits? If she never comes back, does someone else become Empress? Do her belongings get split amongst her DB children like they would with a normal DB family, and does that include the Realm? Is a new Empress elected? The oldest kid? The most popular kid? The most popular DB generally?
                              It's an unprecedented problem, so dynastic scholars are likely busily looking for legal precedents.

So, I can see that some would hark back to the ancient Shogunate (which was in theory based on inheritance, with princes/princesses set to inherit from the Shogun, even if coups and wars sometimes messed around with that), and argue that it ought to be inherited. Most likely scholars from House Ragara (who'd likely argue the oldest one should inherit), House Mnemon (who'd likely argue the oldest one who's not senile should inherit) and House V'neef (who'd likely argue the new Empress should be one of the Empress's children, but not necessarily the oldest).

Of course, they'd likely have other arguments as well (such as Mnemon being the most powerful and experienced sorcerer, or V'neef being groomed by the Empress).

And so I could imagine (and I don't mean I think it would be likely to happen, just that I think it'd be possible) that Mnemon or V'neef might start referring to themselves in public as the ancient Shogunate word for Princess (which may not be the same as the current High Realm word used to translate princess from foreign countries) in order to reinforce this idea.

Of course, other houses would not at all be looking back to the Shogunate for inspiration, and would be arguing for completely different means of succession or even reform.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

I like to imagine we all don't think so little of V'Neef that we expect her to dangerously declare herself an unprecedented heir without actually securing the Scarlet Throne!

At which point, she'd probably have a more preferred title: Empress.
                                Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-29-2017, 02:56 PM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Working...
                                X