Kickstarter Update #113 - House Tepet preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case.
    I have a model of the four likeliest power blocs and initial Civil War outcomes in a document somewhere. If the ST Guide comes to fruition, maybe I'll get to show it off.

Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      ... Now, for the idea that such ranks and titles of Threshold kingdoms being held in contempt is part of the biased perspective of the Dynasty, that's something that I can get behind.
      Mind, that's the TL;DR thing. There's a big difference between what the Realm says puts things in charge and not. But taking on fancy royal titles when you already have a whole damned House named after you seems like something that'd get you mocked for in the Realm rather than actually stating anything that implies your confidence.

One of the cooler historical fantasy settings I have seen was the one for the game Arena Rex, where it runs on an alt. timeline where Octavian's rise to emperor ultimatley fails as a part of it. When he ends up being exiled up to Britainia and all that, the Senate "honors" him with the title Octavian Rex. In this case, it's meant to be "Nice try buddy" and mock him more than anything. I kind of see the Realm having that view on local titles in general, but I admit in that vibe it's purely headcanon for me.

And stuff.
      Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

I have a model of the four likeliest power blocs and initial Civil War outcomes in a document somewhere. If the ST Guide comes to fruition, maybe I'll get to show it off.
        LEDAAL-LED DELIBERATIVE-REFORM! Leave the Throne vacant (in the name of the eternal Empress "for her eventual return") and reform the bureaucracy and Deliberative to actually function!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

I'd love to see that. I hope you get to put it in a book someday.

Placeholder

Comment

So I've got one question about this preview, which will hopefully be clarified in the actual release, namely what exactly does it mean when it states that a portion of House Tepet 'forswears gender'? Do they destroy their genitalia? Is it a oath of chastity? Or are they forswearing allowing other people to easily converse with them?

I strongly doubt it's the third as it's presented as a sacrifice rather than an inconvenience on the part of others, especially since for Exalted there are not very many differences in the ways men and women are treated, aside from different fashions.

I mean this could be cool, odd details to flesh out the world often are. The pirates who have to behave and dress like men in exchange for power are for instance a slightly interesting detail. But I don't know what this detail means.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Burn View Post
              So I've got one question about this preview, which will hopefully be clarified in the actual release, namely what exactly does it mean when it states that a portion of House Tepet 'forswears gender'?
              Not a portion. One person, Tepet Niruz, who is agender.

Comment

So I've got one question about this preview, which will hopefully be clarified in the actual release, namely what exactly does it mean when it states that a portion of House Tepet 'forswears gender'? Do they destroy their genitalia? Is it a oath of chastity? Or are they forswearing allowing other people to easily converse with them?

I strongly doubt it's the third as it's presented as a sacrifice rather than an inconvenience on the part of others, especially since for Exalted there are not very many differences in the ways men and women are treated, aside from different fashions.

I mean this could be cool, odd details to flesh out the world often are. The pirates who have to behave and dress like men in exchange for power are for instance a slightly interesting detail. But I don't know what this detail means.
                Tepet Niruz foreswears gender, not the house as a whole. It means they (Tepet Niruz) do not identify as a man or a woman, and that the means by which this is legitimated in the eyes of House Tepet is through Niruz's personal code of honor, which members of House Tepet consider to be a sacred thing that is above reproach.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Tepet Niruz is a nonbinary person who has no gender. That's their identity, independent of any code of honor - they didn't sacrifice anything. They specifically chose to swear a code of warrior honor that emphasizes truth to one's self as a way to legitimize this identity beyond question in the eyes of House Tepet and navigate the Realm's society (which very much subscribes to notions of binary gender).

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Do they destroy their genitalia?
                    I imagine that unless one wishes to marry them, that's quite none of anybody's business.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Sure,in real life it's no-one's business, but in the game it's no-one's business aside from the ST who would need context to determine who freaked out other people are by this person. I rather doubt that dynasts would feel anything more than smug condescension towards someone who just insists on being called an 'it' and dresses in concealing clothing but otherwise is normal. You know seeing this person as a harmless ecentric and diminishing the scope of their acomplishments.

However if this person turned themselves into a Ken/Barbie doll then I'm betting the response from people will be revulsion and horror rather than smug condecencion.

Like I said I read the words but they don't actually tell me what's going on in the setting.

Comment

• ... Nope.

​something is different in the editing

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I think you're confusing "agendered" and "eunuch". They don't refer to the same thing. Agendered has a specific meaning (and I can't think of another word to use), that probably doesn't involve surgery (and, if it does, observers won't know) and I understood it straight away. I don't think the writers can be really expected to explain what an actually quite complicated English word means if you don't know, when they're trying to write a book about Exalted.

In short, I don't feel the need for writers to tell me who in the setting does or not have a penis, thankyou very much.
                          (Except where eunuchs fulfill a specific socio-cultural role. But now I come to think of it, I can't think of any Exalted societies who do make great use of eunuchs.)

I suppose it might matter what gender this person resembles, if other dynasts don't accept Tepet's ideas, and mock Tepet Niruz for not accepting that, as they see it, he's a boy/she's a girl.
                          But in a small paragraph, I don't really expect (or want) tons of explanation.
                          One thing I like about 3rd ed's writing is they give you lots of characters and places with a small amount of detail, which inspires you to fill in the blanks and build the character yourself. Whereas 2nd ed gave tons of information about a small amount of characters and places (making it difficult to change) and nothing about most characters/settings (meaning it doesn't give you ideas).
                          I mean, sometimes you want it. I could see that it'd be worth giving a lot of info about the Realm's society (because so players need a firm and shared background), and some of its most important characters (like the Empress and Mnemon. Though they might be deliberately mysterious). But not every minor NPC, like the Satrap of Medo, thanks.
                          If I run a game in Medo, I think I'm capable of coming up with all the details about Tepet Niruz myself.
                          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-04-2017, 03:53 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold Burn View Post
                            Like I said I read the words but they don't actually tell me what's going on in the setting.
                            They tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold Burn View Post

Even if you aren't intending to be inconsiderate this post is loaded with toxic misconceptions about non-binary people and is deeply offensive. Please observe Rule #1. This forum has a considerable non-binary user base.

Also, for your edification, non-binary people are just as easy to converse with as anyone else. Just treat them like people. If you have legitimate questions as to what that means there is a great thread in the off topic area for this discussion.

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*
                              *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                              Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

• Also, agender people aren't necessarily asexual and vice-versa.

Comment

Working...
                                X