Collected Homebrew =

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collected Homebrew =

Welp, make that 11 Martial arts and 3 demons. I figured it was time I organized all this.

For the curious, here's the list of MA's I'm currently working through(Crossed out has been done, italics is currently being done. Savage Witch is not one I intend to distribute to the public, as it hurts me to look at.). https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uQ...CSaAU76-BJeH3E

Tyrant Lizard Style (Greatsword, Any Armor, Alternate Charms):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YM...u0FnD8LGhSfDPg

Obsidian Chains of Torment(Heavy and medium Figthing Chain, Light Armor):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VD...ZIq53XN3hVxC8o

Thunder on the Precipice Style(Bird/Unarmed, Light Armor):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WU...ryZ9euPFcFsS9E

Red Locust Swarm Style (Grenades, Light Armor):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sh...7qDkgeUzDZHDH0

Graceful Hummingbird Style(Fencing):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oE...92fo4ys23g0m_Q

Emerald Wasp Style(Mostly Unarmed Pressure Point Shennigans): https://drive.google.com/open?id=13b...6T-ZbuZ-ZrudfM

Serpent Tongue Style(Scorpion from Mortal Combat/Rope Dart): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PZ...V38bchZDJX8VOo

Dancing Devil Style:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m6...NY73kd6PXXGFS8

Blood Riot Style(Public Rage Assassin): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Arms of the Unconquered Sun Style(2nd Newest): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yg...11fc89kWmHfaQo

Quicksilver Limbus Style(Throwing Darts, Daggers, Chopping): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H9...OhfIwOoDkk_FeY4

Sky Tamer Style(Whip It): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

DEMONS
    2nd CIRLCE
    Paimon, Banished Sultan:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ec...qmYJmqw1WpJhiM

Aigokeros, the Demon Jester: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qr...VvCaJ8ScTKKXjM

1st Circle
    Hushpaarsu, the Red Men: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FU...GM0xcyCZ8ZvNR0
    Last edited by Epee102; Yesterday, 03:03 PM.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

edited away, yay
    Last edited by Epee102; 10-01-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff!

I suggest storing it on google documents or something similar, so they're linked rather than living in forum spoilers.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        Cool stuff!

I suggest storing it on google documents or something similar, so they're linked rather than living in forum spoilers.
        to be honest, I didn't realize there was a character limit when I did that, so google drive it is once I get the 7th style done (Dancing Devil style).

Comment

It's all links now!
          And we have a new demon and a new martial art style!

Comment

New MA! Serpent Tongue Style added!

Next is probably another demon based on a special someone 3)
            Then either an MA of my own thinking or Blood Riot Style.

Comment

Who did the paimon one?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                Who did the paimon one?
                I am responsible for all the homebrew here

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  I am responsible for all the homebrew here
                  You have a mistake when talking about principle of motion.

Its not octavian. Its paimon

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

You have a mistake when talking about principle of motion.

Its not octavian. Its paimon
                    Whoops! Thanks!

Comment

"This Glyph is a place of weakness, place of absence where the Red Men's most famous trait fails."

It should be 'a place'.

"Red men are notorious also"

It should be 'Red Men are also notorious for their long lifespan'.

"Will reform on Mondauk's monastery"

Should be 'Reform in'. Its a location, a building.

"They are also famed for martial arts and war instructors"

Better to have it as 'famed as martial artists and war instructors". Both are jobs.

That's about it.

Comment

Alright, we've got 2 new martial arts, and a new demon!

Blood Riot Style is an aggressive style, about sublimated combat techniques and rage. I have yet to check, but I can imagine it going well with Tiger and White Reaper.

Arms of the Unconquered Sun is me porting the style almost straight from 2e. However, I added a new charm (Meditation on the Hidden Hand), and cut Crowned Sun's Form mirror ability because that seemed...I don't know, terrifyingly broken at times? If you think it would work I'm fine porting it back in. I also cut Heaven and Earth Stairway, though on re-read, I might add it back in.

Aigokeros is a 2nd circle demon of good disposition who wants to share his miracles.

As always, PEACH!

Comment

As always, PEACH!

Let's go over all of this stuff, starting with Tyrant Lizard Style because I'm a sucker for oversized swords.

Jaws of Steel: This is incredibly damn thin for a Charm purchase. Spend 3m for +3 damage? Snake Style's Striking Cobra Technique can add up to 5 for the same cost, which might even go post-soak, and it still has a Mastery rider (granted, it's also more restricted in application and much stricter about armor). White Reaper's Falling Scythe Flash - a much better comparison, given that the same armor restrictions apply - is up to 5 damage for the same number of motes (so far so good, if I remember the dev ruling about ISE correctly), but it also adds up to 3 damage on a decisive, which is much more valuable than the ability to ignore 2 points of Hardness, even taking into account the fact that the style does a lot of multi-attacking. Being outclassed in terms of single-target damage dealing capabilities by the dedicated army-killer style is... less than ideal. I'd probably lower the cost to 2m and add a Mastery benefit of some sorts.

Twin Jaws of Steel: ...well that's an interesting one. On its own, it's worthless unless you happen to have two grand daiklaves lying around, but the next Charm completely negates the drawback, so... yay? I don't know, I'm not that enthused by the prospect of getting two non-Charm dice on Clashes for a Charm purchase in a style that neither utilizes Clashes as a part of its strategy, nor can be combined with styles that do.

Army-Deflecting Tail: ...I'm comfortable calling this one badly designed. It's a boring numerical bonus, it's twice as mote-efficient as the excellency with an Indefinite duration, it allows a grand daiklave to have better defensive stats than a medium weapon (and frankly, I think even the potential to have a static parry of 7 is pushing it, if you ever want to run Dragon-Blooded antagonists without fully maxed pools and have them be relevant), and you don't even have to give up a meaningful benefit for it! If you're hell-bent on keeping it, I'd amend the duration to One scene, rephrase the text to say "...the weapon's Parry value is set to 1" instead, and probably double the cost. But I think a complete redesign would be better.

Jade Claws Beneath Steel Jaws: not sure why this needs to be E2. Also, "this attack may benefit from the Smashing tag at +3 increase" - increase of what? Mote cost? Initiative cost? Damage?

Tyrant Lizard Form: this... actually looks okay. There's a lot of benefits, but it's an E2 Form Charm without a reflexive activation clause, so unless you playtest it and it turns out to be overperforming, I'd say it's good. "[I]ncrease the damage die rolled by one" is very awkward phrasing though, I assume you meant "increase the raw damage by one".

Butcher of Men: it's a supplemental multiattack Charm with a crapton of drawbacks. You probably want to make this Simple, shift most of those drawbacks into a Terrestrial keyword, and buff the baseline effect, because this is pretty thin for a Celestial and downright laughable for a Solar compared to other styles or native Charms they have access to.

Thrashing Blade: unclear about the cost - the 3m is probably supposed to be a surcharge, but when do you pay it? When you make the decisive followup? When you expend fangs? The text doesn't say anything. The Terrestrial effect needs to be expanded, because breaking the action economy so blatantly is a big no-no when it comes to them. But ignoring that, it still feels... off. It's costly and risky, but freely spammable without a reset condition. I have the feeling that it probably wouldn't work out very well in actual play.

Body-Catching Teeth: I'm struggling to think why I would use this when I already have a much more mote-efficient counterattack with far fewer restrictions on the activation and a considerably higher accuracy.

Wreathed in Terror: yeah, this one is pretty good. I'd swap the previous one for this in a heartbeat. Note that you wrote Indefinite again when you probably meant One scene - at least I assume you didn't intend people to run around with a massive soak bonus forever.

The Predator Lunges Forward: okay, this is hilarious. But also unclear. Am I supposed to activate the Charm, roll for a rush, hope that I succeed, then roll the decisive if I do, wasting the motes I spent otherwise? Or do I successfully rush my target, then activate this Charm and fly at them? Also, this is a Simple Charm which, accordingly, can't be placed in a flurry - am I supposed to have successfully rushed in the previous turn, then activate the Charm in the next, or do I activate the Charm, which creates a rush and an attack if the rush succeeds?

Legion-Devouring Maw: the word is "prerequisite", as in, something you're required to take before you can take the current Charm. Also, the terminology is unclear - for every double on the attack roll, you can increase the damage. Double what? The same number coming up twice? The same number, but only if it's a success? Dice that came up as a number that counts as double successes? But the style doesn't have anything that can grant doubles on an attack roll, save for the reflexive decisive created by Thrashing Blade, which you probably shouldn't be able to enhance with Butcher of Men, otherwise you can do hilarious things like combine Butcher of Men with Thrashing Blade, making a withering attack against up to 5 targets in close range, then reactivating Butcher of Men on all the decisives that trigger from Thrashing Blade, which... might not even be particularly effective but it sure as hell is a massive pain in the ass to resolve (it also allows for up to 25 decisives, which can all benefit from up to +5 damage bonus from ISE, effectively generating 125 points of free initiative). So you should just write "for every 10 on the attack roll...".

Tyrant of the Battlefield: why is this a Supplemental. What action could this possibly supplement. Otherwise, it's... weird. All of its benefits are kind of mild - the willpower regain is pretty nice but the style doesn't actually use WP all that much -, except for the mote discount, which is a benefit I'd be very leery of handing out even as a capstone. (Because then you have to balance the entire style around this effect, either making Charms overpriced as a baseline, too cheap with the capstone, or have all of them do big things for big costs where a 1 mote discount is a nice benefit but doesn't affect the Charm's overall balance all that much. The problem with the latter is that without low-level bread-and-butter effects that can be used on most attacks, a stylist won't really feel like an X Stylist in the moment-to-moment flow of combat, just once or twice per fight when they pull out the big guns.) I suggest a redesign.

Apex Predator Devours the Sun: yeah this one looks okay mechanically and definitely capstone-worthy. My only problem with it is that the reactivation gets harder the more enlightened you are, which... bwuh?
                          Last edited by aluminiumtrioxid; 10-22-2017, 06:51 AM.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                          Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

Let's go over all of this stuff, starting with Tyrant Lizard Style because I'm a sucker for oversized swords.

Jaws of Steel: This is incredibly damn thin for a Charm purchase. Spend 3m for +3 damage? Snake Style's Striking Cobra Technique can add up to 5 for the same cost, which might even go post-soak, and it still has a Mastery rider (granted, it's also more restricted in application and much stricter about armor). White Reaper's Falling Scythe Flash - a much better comparison, given that the same armor restrictions apply - is up to 5 damage for the same number of motes (so far so good, if I remember the dev ruling about ISE correctly), but it also adds up to 3 damage on a decisive, which is much more valuable than the ability to ignore 2 points of Hardness, even taking into account the fact that the style does a lot of multi-attacking. Being outclassed in terms of single-target damage dealing capabilities by the dedicated army-killer style is... less than ideal. I'd probably lower the cost to 2m and add a Mastery benefit of some sorts.
                            Noted. Editing the motes, and for a mastery...hm...Might allow adding Strength to raw damage, given the visual. Also, I think chopping only helps withering, so fixing the "uniform" tag.
                            Twin Jaws of Steel: ...well that's an interesting one. On its own, it's worthless unless you happen to have two grand daiklaves lying around, but the next Charm completely negates the drawback, so... yay? I don't know, I'm not that enthused by the prospect of getting two non-Charm dice on Clashes for a Charm purchase in a style that neither utilizes Clashes as a part of its strategy, nor can be combined with styles that do.
                            This one on it's own was because of a comment I got in an earlier draft, suggesting that because this style talks about jaws so much, it seems weird to only have 1 of the Tyrant lizards jaws.

Army-Deflecting Tail: ...I'm comfortable calling this one badly designed. It's a boring numerical bonus, it's twice as mote-efficient as the excellency with an Indefinite duration, it allows a grand daiklave to have better defensive stats than a medium weapon (and frankly, I think even the potential to have a static parry of 7 is pushing it, if you ever want to run Dragon-Blooded antagonists without fully maxed pools and have them be relevant), and you don't even have to give up a meaningful benefit for it! If you're hell-bent on keeping it, I'd amend the duration to One scene, rephrase the text to say "...the weapon's Parry value is set to 1" instead, and probably double the cost. But I think a complete redesign would be better.
                            My use of indefinete was so that you'd have to keep the motes commited to maintain the effect. Isn't what it means? As for the effect itself, yeah a resting parry of 7 is high. Setting the weapons parry to 1 is more inline with what I meant (it's +2 parry, but a Heavy weapon subtracts 1 from the parry, resulting in a net +1).

Jade Claws Beneath Steel Jaws: not sure why this needs to be E2. Also, "this attack may benefit from the Smashing tag at +3 increase" - increase of what? Mote cost? Initiative cost? Damage?
                            Meant to be motes, clarifying.

Butcher of Men: it's a supplemental multiattack Charm with a crapton of drawbacks. You probably want to make this Simple, shift most of those drawbacks into a Terrestrial keyword, and buff the baseline effect, because this is pretty thin for a Celestial and downright laughable for a Solar compared to other styles or native Charms they have access to.
                            At the time, I had forgotten that multiattack is Simple, not supplementing a normal attack. Mea culpa.
                            As for a buff, would something like "the stylist only needs to pay once to supplement both attacks with tags and charms" be suffiecient?

Thrashing Blade: unclear about the cost - the 3m is probably supposed to be a surcharge, but when do you pay it? When you make the decisive followup? When you expend fangs? The text doesn't say anything. The Terrestrial effect needs to be expanded, because breaking the action economy so blatantly is a big no-no when it comes to them. But ignoring that, it still feels... off. It's costly and risky, but freely spammable without a reset condition. I have the feeling that it probably wouldn't work out very well in actual play.
                            dropping the 3m surcharge, because I honestly don't remember. Noting to add a reset condition.

Wreathed in Terror: yeah, this one is pretty good. I'd swap the previous one for this in a heartbeat. Note that you wrote Indefinite again when you probably meant One scene - at least I assume you didn't intend people to run around with a massive soak bonus forever.
                            See my note on indefinite above. I'll probably end up swapping it in.

The Predator Lunges Forward: okay, this is hilarious. But also unclear. Am I supposed to activate the Charm, roll for a rush, hope that I succeed, then roll the decisive if I do, wasting the motes I spent otherwise? Or do I successfully rush my target, then activate this Charm and fly at them? Also, this is a Simple Charm which, accordingly, can't be placed in a flurry - am I supposed to have successfully rushed in the previous turn, then activate the Charm in the next, or do I activate the Charm, which creates a rush and an attack if the rush succeeds?
                            The assumed order of operations was:
                            activate charm.
                            Attempt rush. If Rush succeeds, attack.
                            To avoid a waste of motes, I'm think I could add a movement effect?

Legion-Devouring Maw: the word is "prerequisite", as in, something you're required to take before you can take the current Charm. Also, the terminology is unclear - for every double on the attack roll, you can increase the damage. Double what? The same number coming up twice? The same number, but only if it's a success? Dice that came up as a number that counts as double successes? But the style doesn't have anything that can grant doubles on an attack roll, save for the reflexive decisive created by Thrashing Blade, which you probably shouldn't be able to enhance with Butcher of Men, otherwise you can do hilarious things like combine Butcher of Men with Thrashing Blade, making a withering attack against up to 5 targets in close range, then reactivating Butcher of Men on all the decisives that trigger from Thrashing Blade, which... might not even be particularly effective but it sure as hell is a massive pain in the ass to resolve (it also allows for up to 25 decisives, which can all benefit from up to +5 damage bonus from ISE, effectively generating 125 points of free initiative). So you should just write "for every 10 on the attack roll...".
                            Fixed. The more insane interpertation was the one I intend, which will be fixed with Butcher of Men getting a reset condition as well as fixing the Legion Devouring Maw charm.

Tyrant of the Battlefield: why is this a Supplemental. What action could this possibly supplement. Otherwise, it's... weird. All of its benefits are kind of mild - the willpower regain is pretty nice but the style doesn't actually use WP all that much -, except for the mote discount, which is a benefit I'd be very leery of handing out even as a capstone. (Because then you have to balance the entire style around this effect, either making Charms overpriced as a baseline, too cheap with the capstone, or have all of them do big things for big costs where a 1 mote discount is a nice benefit but doesn't affect the Charm's overall balance all that much. The problem with the latter is that without low-level bread-and-butter effects that can be used on most attacks, a stylist won't really feel like an X Stylist in the moment-to-moment flow of combat, just once or twice per fight when they pull out the big guns.) I suggest a redesign.
                            I'll probably just swap it out with Apex Predator Devour's the Sun.

Apex Predator Devours the Sun: yeah this one looks okay mechanically and definitely capstone-worthy. My only problem with it is that the reactivation gets harder the more enlightened you are, which... bwuh?
                            Given the overall damage(More fangs) increases the more enlightened you are, I figured a longer cool down time would be better. Might flip it to allow for more powerful users to use it more often, which also makes more sense.

Comment

Noted. Editing the motes, and for a mastery...hm...Might allow adding Strength to raw damage, given the visual. Also, I think chopping only helps withering, so fixing the "uniform" tag.
                              Actually, Chopping allows the user to ignore 2 Hardness, which is actually pretty useful on multiattack Charms, you definitely want to keep it. I don't recommend adding Strength to raw damage, because getting +8 damage for 2 motes is a bit much.

This one on it's own was because of a comment I got in an earlier draft, suggesting that because this style talks about jaws so much, it seems weird to only have 1 of the Tyrant lizards jaws.
                              That's a pretty silly reason to make a dual-wielding Charm in a non-dual wielding style.

My use of indefinete was so that you'd have to keep the motes commited to maintain the effect. Isn't what it means? As for the effect itself, yeah a resting parry of 7 is high. Setting the weapons parry to 1 is more inline with what I meant (it's +2 parry, but a Heavy weapon subtracts 1 from the parry, resulting in a net +1).
                              An Indefinite duration means exactly what it says - the effect persists indefinitely, as long the motes are committed. The Charm ends when the user un-commits the motes. However, the mote cost of any Charm with a duration other than Instant is always committed, so a scenelong effect has its cost committed just like an indefinite one would.

Heavy weapons don't carry an inherent defense penalty. Mortal heavy weapons have a -1 parry modifier, artifact heavies have +0. Consequently, by setting a weapon's parry modifier to +1, you allow the stylist to have a resting parry of 7, but that ship has sailed long ago when the devs decided that medium weapons will have a +1 parry mod - so I see nothing wrong with it.

At the time, I had forgotten that multiattack is Simple, not supplementing a normal attack. Mea culpa.
                              (...)
                              Fixed. The more insane interpertation was the one I intend, which will be fixed with Butcher of Men getting a reset condition as well as fixing the Legion Devouring Maw charm.
                              Keep in mind that if you make Butcher of Men Simple, you won't be able to keep the insane interpretation (since Thrashing Blade doesn't give an extra action, it allows the stylist to make an additional attack reflexively).

As for a buff, would something like "the stylist only needs to pay once to supplement both attacks with tags and charms" be suffiecient?
                              I'm not sure, that's a pretty big buff. At the very least, you want to make the excellency an exception.

The assumed order of operations was:
                              activate charm.
                              Attempt rush. If Rush succeeds, attack.
                              To avoid a waste of motes, I'm think I could add a movement effect?
                              Honestly, I think you can just say "the stylist rolls to rush the target; if the rush succeeds, the attack counts as a surprise attack, otherwise resolve attack normally".

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                              Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...
                              X