Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Setting weirdness] ​The Tumbled Towers of Mattas-Doon

(I have weird dreams sometimes)

There is a town in the South, situated on the banks of a fertile river. It would be unremarkable, save for the many fine brick ruins a few miles inland, and the needle-like tower, reaching towards the Heavens.

During the Age of Dreams, the sorcerer Mattas-Doon dreamt of ascending a tower to the heavens, and usurping the power of the moon and stars. To this end, she summoned forth five-score demon laborers, ordering them to work ceaselessly on crafting a tower which would reach the lunar surface.

It was a task of centuries, but time has less meaning for immortal spirits, and so they set about their task.
    Demon-apes mucked clay and mix straw and bone and sinew for strength.
    Hunched and squat men with animal faces bake bricks ceaselessly in ovens so hot the red clay is seared a reflective black.
    Three figures, both man and woman, with purple skin and with neither hair nor fur nor clothing, conjure houses of shell in which they mix mortar out of blood and brazen dust.
    But the most common are the three score creatures, a mix of wet fur and walking entrail. They gather the finished bricks and mortar, carrying them to the heights of the tower, adding to it's height.

The demons have no care should common men wish to walk the tower's heights. Few do; the interior is baking hot, prone to sudden updrafts of wind during the day. Cunning gaps in the supporting walls and stairs transform the upsweeping winds into weird and haunted piping, which can be heard at nearly a quarter mile away at the height of the day's heat during the height of summer. An enclave of Varangian star-priests maintain homes in the village. They prepare for journies up the tower as sherpas in the far north do those treacherous mountains- for the view of the Heavens from the ever ascending top is remarkable and is said to assist in diving the will of Heaven.

They do not care should men walk the tower's height, but it is not the tower's height that men covet and the demons do jealously guard; the brick and tile and mortar of the demon craftsmen are of quality better than found anywhere save the Blessed Isle. Alchemists will pay dearly for the brazen mortar; men of a military mind dream of even a small fortress built of those black bricks, and watching their enemy's siege weapons shatter against stone baked harder than iron.

But the bricks are purchased at only prices dear. A slave for a brick, to furnish the needful blood and bone and sinew. Ingots of tin and zinc and copper, to feed the brazen crucibles.

Better still to steal the bricks. Youngsters will sometimes climb the tower, for the builders are amazed and beguiled by human children- and while so distracted, their friends may pilfer a brick that can feed their family for a month, or a small glass pot of false-gold mortar.

The demons do not take kindly to these thieves; those that are caught will be made into the tower they sought to steal from.

And so does the Tower of Mattas-Doon rise, long since the sorcerer fell beneath treacherous blades. Others have tumbled before; felled by storm or assault. But the loyalty of the demons to their task is unbroken.

My Storyteller Vault releases!
    Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
    These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

I mean this in the most complimentary way possible...

YYYYOINK!

Comment

My goodness could I repost this on SV?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        My goodness could I repost this on SV?

Soitenly

Comment

Oh my, I think that evokes the Flat Earth stories better than most of the background info in the actual core.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
            Oh my, I think that evokes the Flat Earth stories better than most of the background info in the actual core.
            That's exactly what I was thinking.

This is awesome stuff!

Ultimate Jade-Screened Exalted Scholar, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar
            THDR : Future Dragon-Blooded campaign, and other links.
            If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!

Comment

(Seems like it would be cool to have your dreams)

Fine example of a Weird Tale (where discomforting, existentially troubling beings are unsettlingly inclined to tasks for no clear comprehensible purpose, and the hubris of men schemes at taming them!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                (Seems like it would be cool to have your dreams)

Fine example of a Weird Tale (where discomforting, existentially troubling beings are unsettlingly inclined to tasks for no clear comprehensible purpose, and the hubris of men schemes at taming them!)

I mean, the dream was more just of me and some friends bullshiting about Exalted, and joking about task binding demons to some technically possible but functionally endless task.

The others were counting the number of grains of sand in the South, doubling the size of the Eastern Forest via careful planting and cultivation, and building homes for every man, woman and child in Creation.

Comment

Wait. How so?

Comment

It has the same strange fairy-tale feel to it.

Comment

Also, reads almost identical to the opening tower in Delusions Master.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                      Many Limbed Manual
                      Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                      San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                      My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Let's be honest here: Baybhelu was a far more monstrous thing than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Also, reads almost identical to the opening tower in Delusions Master.

Huh. Haven't actually read Delusion's Master yet. Should probably get on that.

(I was aiming a bit more for the Gods of Pegana in sound, but I mean, Flat Earth is good company to be in )

Comment

Working...
                          X