Inspirational reading!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirational reading!

I just discovered "Drifting Among Rivers and Lakes," an ongoing blog series by Brian Clevinger (of Atomic Robo fame), wherein he translates a 16th century Chinese wuxia classic about a female Robin Hood figure named Sword Witch.

It's epic, action-packed, hilarious and just about the most gods damned Exalted thing I've ever read. Highly recommended!

http://www.superexplosive.com/series/drifting/

Anyone got any other recommendations?

Originally posted by mizzlfoshizzl View Post
    I just discovered "Drifting Among Rivers and Lakes," an ongoing blog series by Brian Clevinger (of Atomic Robo fame), wherein he translates a 16th century Chinese wuxia classic about a female Robin Hood figure named Sword Witch.

It's epic, action-packed, hilarious and just about the most gods damned Exalted thing I've ever read. Highly recommended!

http://www.superexplosive.com/series/drifting/

Anyone got any other recommendations?
    Looks to be a classic instance of presenting original fiction as a translation of a nonexistent historical work. It's a fun read so far, though! Thanks for sharing it.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

The Hour of the Dragon is old enough to have fallen into the public domain. Here's an audiobook of it, if you'd rather give it a listen.

Conan's pretty obviously comparable to a Solar, but I'd argue that Xaltotun of Python fits pretty solidly as well.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 10-06-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
        Looks to be a classic instance of presenting original fiction as a translation of a nonexistent historical work.
        Shhh! Don't spoil the surprise!

Comment

I'm going through some of the fictional inspiration for Exalted listed in books back in the day. Finsihed Shadow of the Torturer in the Book of New Sun series. It's pretty cool so far, and I can see quite clearly how it relates to elements of Exalted with the whole Dying Earth genre, scavenging on things so old what theyw were is hitned but forgotten and strange society things in a rough and poor world. Good stuff.

And stuff.
          Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

I realize he is a controversial sort, but I do find that Brandon Sanderson's works offer a great deal of inspiration for a variety of games. While Mistborn has some definite inspirations for realm politics, for Exalted proper I'd actually recommend the Stormlight Archives.
            <div id="spoiler" style="display:none"> The Spren are like sentient Exaltations; each allows someone to bind two specific powers, just as Exalts each have limited ranges of abilities. Stormlight drawing also is reminiscent of the new form of Sorcery, drawing motes in from the environment. If I wasn't hoping to adapt the Surgebinding to the Mistborn RPG so that I can do Cosmere crossovers, I'd seriously look into the Exigent book when it comes out to make ten Knights Radiant Exalt types. Combine this with political intrigue, exploration of a lost history, and a variety of other elements, and I think it's the most Exalted thing I've read in a while. </div> <button title="Click to show/hide content" type="button" onclick="if(document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=='none') {document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=''}else{document.getElementById('sp oiler') .style.display='none'}">Show/hide</button>

Comment

I'd suggest the Seven Deadly Sins (the cartoon is epic)

Though it's light hearted [edit : or not, spoke too soon it seems]
              Last edited by Refhi; 10-14-2017, 03:11 AM.

French Exalt & ST & ToolMaker [Website]
              Advanced Character Generator Thread, Excel Version & LibreOffice Version
              Familiar Generator Thread & Libreoffice Version

Comment

Tanith Lee is a great one for sorcerers and demons.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Refhi View Post
                  I'd suggest the Seven Deadly Sins (the cartoon is epic)

Though it's light hearted
                  You're talking the one on Netflix?

Did we watch the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    You're talking the one on Netflix?

Did we watch the same thing?
                    Uhhhhhhh, are you being sarcastic? (yes, Netflix stuff BTW)

Maybe I should be more precise. (I was a bit short on time) the universe and story are not really interesting in this matter (if you're looking for a political setup, you're not at the right place), but the fights really make me think of Exalted fights. And the characters (except that princess which makes absolutely no sense) makes nice examples of exalts (the chief being Solar, the fox a Lunar, some others enemies looking sometime like DragonBlooded).

I'm only through the firsts episodes so I can't say for sure for the rest of the story.
                    Last edited by Refhi; 10-14-2017, 01:38 AM.

French Exalt & ST & ToolMaker [Website]
                    Advanced Character Generator Thread, Excel Version & LibreOffice Version
                    Familiar Generator Thread & Libreoffice Version

Comment

Uhhhhhhh, are you being sarcastic?
                      No, I'm not being sarcastic. The show is hardly an example of what I'd call "light-hearted." I don't typically tune in to a "light-hearted" show to see people getting dismembered, entire cities being devastated, or otherwise-good people succumbing to demonic corruption.

Or casual sexual assault, for that matter.

I'm only through the firsts episodes so I can't say for sure for the rest of the story.
                      Ah, that explains it. I'll not discuss it any further, so as to avoid spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
                        I realize he is a controversial sort, but I do find that Brandon Sanderson's works offer a great deal of inspiration for a variety of games. While Mistborn has some definite inspirations for realm politics, for Exalted proper I'd actually recommend the Stormlight Archives.
                        <div id="spoiler" style="display:none"> The Spren are like sentient Exaltations; each allows someone to bind two specific powers, just as Exalts each have limited ranges of abilities. Stormlight drawing also is reminiscent of the new form of Sorcery, drawing motes in from the environment. If I wasn't hoping to adapt the Surgebinding to the Mistborn RPG so that I can do Cosmere crossovers, I'd seriously look into the Exigent book when it comes out to make ten Knights Radiant Exalt types. Combine this with political intrigue, exploration of a lost history, and a variety of other elements, and I think it's the most Exalted thing I've read in a while. </div> <button title="Click to show/hide content" type="button" onclick="if(document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=='none') {document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=''}else{document.getElementById('sp oiler') .style.display='none'}">Show/hide</button>
                        I saw the connection too. Especially for daiklaives and artefact armour.
                        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-14-2017, 05:10 AM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I'd recommend Outlaws of the Water Marsh and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, if you like reading classics.
                          (And I guess Journey to the West, but I didn't get into it as much as the other two, tbh. I really enjoyed Romance of the Three Kingdoms though).
                          Those are pretty obviously appropriate as Exalted influences.

If not... I'm not sure whether to recommend it or not (because it's just so... damn... long..., though there's a couple of other problems as well. The first and last books are reasonably enjoyable though) but the main character of the Wheel of Time is the reincarnation of ancient mad hero (who, with his mad hero friends, broke the world, leaving only remnants of their magitech society), who is hated and feared for his power (as it's tainted with madness, though not as seriously as most people think), and must fight the 13 Dreadlords, who are remnants of the First Age.
                          It's the closest I've read to a protagonist who's a Solar.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                          X