Musing and Theorizing about the New Exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musing and Theorizing about the New Exalts

The new Exalts are one of the features I am the most excited to see in the future supplements, but as it seems it would be awhile before we'll get something new about them. However, while what we know about those guys goes from "not a lot" to "practically nothing", it doesn't mean you can't make up your own theory in the meanwhile? Sure, the chances that some of those theories are even close to truth is slim at best (I mean, for 3 of them we only know have their picture and nothing more), but I believe it could still be an interesting experiment- and who knows? Perhaps if one theory seems really interesting, we could still homebrew it into another Exalt type (at least, when Exigents will be out).

Anyway, those are my theories about how the new Exalts may be in the setting- you are more than welcomed to share yours, of course!

Liminal Exalts- in fact, we know so much about those guys that I don't think we can call them "new" anymore. I mean, we have their "Patron Deity"'s name (even if not nature), how they are being Chosen, the thematic of their powers, Aspect names and more, all in their two page spread in the Core Book (not to mention their name, which is more than what we have for others). The only thing which is left to muse about is the exact nature of the Dark Mother- we know that she is a "relic from the First Age", and that the Chernzem first walked the earth during the Shogunate. Some has suggested her being connected to Gaia, or maybe even being her (meaning, Gaia has died in the First Age and fell to the Underworld), but as it was said once that there aren't any plans for Gaian Exalts, I think we can rule the "Dead Gaia" option out. We also know that she is interested in maintaining the boundary between life and death- so she is not on the side of the Neverborn and is not dedicated for the destruction of all Creation. My assumption is that the Dark Mother has existed in the Underworld before the fall of the First Age, and the darkness and death which followed the fall of the Solar majesty has "woken her up" (or at least, drew her attention), making her trying to balance the destruction with making her own Chosen. Perhaps she went into the Underworld in the first place in order to try and "keep it quite and clean"- maybe the Soul of one of the defeated Primordials which ease their sleep like a mother which sings lullaby to her children. Perhaps there is more to that "Mother" title than her birthing the souls of the Liminals.

Getimian Exalts- while we don't know about them as much as the Liminals, we still have plenty of information about them (when compared to the other Exalts). We know that they are Chosen from people carrying stillborn fates, individuals who had their whole life erased and replaced by something else. Each has their own Loom of Fate in their body, and that they have their own version of Getimian Alchemy which allows them to manipulate Yin and Yang Essence, not to mention their ability to learn Sidereal Martial Arts. Also, we know that Rakan Thulio has found them (by "found" I assume discovered a phenomenon which already existed, and harnessed the outcome, the Getimian, to his own needs), and now organized them into an army in a war against Heaven. Oh, and they are not the Chosen of Nox, as it was defined. So, they are Chosen with power over time and fate, which can perhaps separate their own universe from the rest of creation? Assuming that the Exaltation itself is the process by which their reality in edited away from Fate and not that some of those individuals who get their life erased are being Chosen, we can understand that the divinity which makes the choice is the editor- so maybe Asna Firstborn? That would explain the Pattern Spiders in their spine, i think.

Vocal Exalts- here is we getting to a lot less defined territory. The Spoken are one of the two new Exalt types which are meant to be presented in a future Niobaran War supplement. They are the Chosen of the Voice of the Trench, from which they believe whole of Creation was formed. They have the power to call upon the forces of the world to their help, from beings such the gods of the ocean and abyssal horrors to natural disasters as storms of brimstone and burning isles. Their connection to voices makes me think that they may be Exalted's version of Sirens, which sing sailors to their doom. While a Spoken which sits in the middle of the sea and sings disasters into existence sounds really cool, I assume that they could also "just" speak things into existence and call upon the world for their help. Perhaps the Trench is an hole in the fabric of Creation, from which one of the Neverborn may whisper it mad dreams. Perhaps it is a bound god chained by the Primordials, or perhaps the Incarna. Perhaps it is exactly what it claims to be- an ancient voice which has created the world with a word. If it is a Neverborn, I would appoint Mardukth (He Who Holds in Thrall) as a potential patron.

Thalassan Exalts- the Chosen of the Depths are a lot less detailed than their counterparts. All we know about them is that their abilities are based about both the physical and metaphorical aspects of the depths of the sea- things like coldness, darkness, pressure and their like. As it was mentioned that the Niobaran War would include Exalts who are equal to the Solar in power, I have always thought about those Chosen as a potential candidates for Solar Tier Exalts- the Sea is one of the most powerful and terrifying powers in our world, being a brother to Sky and Death in the Classical Mythology. The Sea is also a frighting creation, being connected to death and chaos- and as the death connection was explored with the Spoken, I assume that it leaves chaos for those guys. I imagine that their patron is known as Thalassa, the Drowned Queen. She may be a "neutral Primordial", just as Oceanus took a neutral stance in the Titanomachy. Living in exile in the depths of the West, unwelcome in the courts of the gods from one side and seeing as betrayer from the other, Thalassa has powered her Chosen to guide the people of the seas, invoking the chill of the depths and darkness of the abyss. Perhaps being Exalted by her requires going to the depths of the ocean, surviving the the world were no living being has ever walked, and show themselves worthy for Thalassa's gift. Their powers of chaos of destruction can cause the sea to rage, call the pressure of the ocean and devour the mind with eternal. cold darkness.

Tartarian Exalts- and now we are officially down the rabbit hole. We know nothing about the Ones Bitten Soul Deep other than their poetic nickname, the fact that they hate the Solars for banishing them from the "light of the First Age" and that their picture is one of the three which show up in the book. I have suspected them to be the corrupted Dragon Blooded of Gloam, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, examining the three unknown Exalts, my bet is on the practically naked and mundane looking guy, as he radiates me a "dark feeling"- something in the style of hiding some terrible truth behind a plain look, wearing a ragged outfit of past glory. I imagine them to be Chosen of Tartarus, the Ancient Darkness. Tartarus is a Forbidden God, a powerful divinity who chose to serve the Primordial in the War- only to switch sides in the last moment. Knowing that the gods would see him as traitor, Tartarus has hid itself in the Bellow, and by using the stolen secrets of Exaltation he created his own Chosen to serve him. Finding people who were worthy to his service, he gnawed in their souls and made them his, with the ancient darkness hiding in their heart. Using their gifts, they created a magnificent kingdom of horrors, where darkness roams free while masquerading as faithful servants of the Solars. However, the Chosen of the Sun has discovered the truth and destroyed their kingdom, forcing the Tartarians to escape to the depths of earth where they clang to their former glory, blaming the Solars for their lose and creating a pale reflection of their former kingdom in the Bellow, in the darkness of their god. The ruins of their kingdom, however, were eventually found and rebuilt- the city of Dajaz is has started its eternal celebration, growing upon the dark magic of the land, and as Tartarus demands sacrifices and his Chosen vengeance, many vanish into their underground realm, never to be seen again.

Morphean Exalts- together with the Bitten Soul Deep, we have got another nickname for one of the new Exalts, those who are Derived From Sleep. We know nothing more about those guys, but looking at the unknown three Chosen, I place my bet on the screaming guy with a dark, vicious looking cloud which flies over his head. I think of them as the Chosen of Morpheus, the Lord of Sleep and Nightmare. Not truly a god or a fae, Morpheus was created from a mass of the Wyld which penetrated Creation's border and took life of its own. Shaped into life, Morpheus has lurked into the dreams of sleeping people and took residents in them, learning about the world to which it was birthed. The dreamers gave life to Morpheus, and Morpheus gave gifts to his dreamers. Because of that, Morpheus does not exist as a single entity- but as the collective of all minds and thought united through its Essence. Thanks to his unshaped nature, the Morpheans can call upon the Wyld to create all kinds of wonders and horrors birthed from their own dreams, summoning parts of their patron into the world- in the price of their own sanity. They may also communicate with each other through their dreams, or mix illusion and reality together by twisting the senses. Killing all of Morpheus's dreamers would end the dream, and as such end the Lord himself, but the dream in an infection entity, luring others to its endless nightmares. Those who are devoured in their dreams become nothing more than puppets in the service of the dream. Those who survive, however, become Exalted by him.

Auroral Exalts- now, that's the least accurate theory which I can muse, for not only we know nothing about the third Exalt, it also assumes that I connected the other two to the right images in the book! However, this all thing is as accurate as throwing a dart, blindfolded while the target spins all around you, so we can live with that. Judging by the last, glowing woman, I have long decided that the last Exalt type are called as the Aurorals, the Chosen of Omens. Their patron is Aurora, the Shimmering Light. She is the strange light which shows up at the poles, near the edge of Creation, where the Wyld clash against Creation and creates a potential to change and evolution. She was originally meant to overseer those wild outburst which disrupts both Fate and Destiny, but she ended up enchanted by that burning, cold light. Searching for a way to harness those beautiful phenomena where existence and chaos annihilate each other, Aurora has became touched by the Wyld, carrying the cold light in her soul. She is the goddess of Omens, now, who signals the coming changes which even Fate can't predict, disrupting the natural state of Creation and giving birth to weird and unexpected events. Some individuals find themselves drawn to her light, searching after the nomad shimmering which burns with ice and fire. Those who mange to catch her are said to have a wish granted to them- but in truth it is no mere wish, but an Exaltation itself, for she bestows the light of the Wyld upon her Chosen, granting them power over Omens and forcing Fate to change according to their will.

Chthonic Exalts- so, as it was confirmed by the devs, there are currently no plans from Gloam's Dragon Blooded to gain an official writeup, but it doesn't mean we can't muse about one ourselves! Ironically, we know about those guys more than we know about some of the new Exalts which we are going to get sometime in the future. They are Dragon Blooded which has their Exaltation corrupted by the Thing Bellow, a being older than time which was locked in a crypt sealed by the seal of Anathema. The worms in its breath gnawed upon the souls of the Dragon Blooded, making them into its servants and puppets. They are breath eaters, drinking the life of those who stumble upon their way to sate the hunger of their patron. It seems like the Chthonic are this edition's answer to the Dragon of Different Colour, creating alternative Dragon Blooded in a way which is more interested than "DBs with Necromancy, ghost blood and emo aesthetics". Inspired by some fan made Exalt idea I read somewhere, I see the Chthonic as what the Abyssals are to Solar, even though the exact terms and conditions are different. The Thing Bellow may be a butchered soul of a Primordial, summoned and bound by the Solars in the first age. It can also be some other Underworld horror, like a powerful ghost or any other kind of monster. As in this vision the Chthonic are playable, they are not completely puppets of the Thing, but the hunger they feel overwhelms them, and they must constantly feed the worms in their soul. Their Charms would be based around corruption and rot, and their Aspects are the decomposed version of Creation's elements, with Earth being ground to Dust and Water sinking into Mud. Where the Dragon Blooded gain power from working together, the Chthonic discover that their hunger works against them- they drink each other's breath and Essence, and when their hunger is not sated it disrupts and attempts of teamwork they may have. They are all scavengers, and even int he Age of Sorrows there is a limited amount of prey they can feed upon. Drinking someone who holds the blood of the Dragons until their death is destined to create more of their kinds, as the worms fall from their mouths and feed upon the newly risen Chthonic.

Well, that's what I got! What do you think, and what are you wild ideas and theories about the new Exalts?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Must admit i haven't really thought as much about what the canon new exalts will be as much as the possibility of "weird" antagonists by riffing or mixing & matching from existing mechanics - so-called demigods that access evocation-like powers trees from hearthstones instead of artifacts, peculiar enlightened mystics that find sorcerous-esque ways to channel the essence of Creation in awakening and powering martial charms no mortal should be able to access, control spells that gain so much of their master's character with evocation evolution they "crystalize" as actual artifacts possessed of some of their maker's personality and a bunch of other stuff.

All of that said, though i have yet to really give it a try, i have a very strong urge to tinker with adapting some of Burn Legend's peculiar "Chosen" and particular cosmology, along with maybe some elements of other shards.

If they would be beings from places beyond Creation or mostly forgotten remnants of forgotten eras, i have yet to see. There's much yet to play cluttering the way (Ephemeral Induction Technique, why must thou tempt me so...) before that, i guess.

Comment

where'd the Bitten Soul Deep and Derprived From Sleep come from?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        where'd the Bitten Soul Deep and Derprived From Sleep come from?
        both were mentioned by one of the previous devs in his Twitter account. The thread where it was discussed can be found in here

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Are those their real names? Thalassan? Morphean? Or are you just making those up?

Join the Strife

Comment

Pretty sure the cloud guy is a Tartarian. Someone pretty damn similar showed up in Vance’s “Doom and Gloam” campaign saying something like “I am my own Hell...” Sounds pretty “Bitten Soul Deep” to me.

As far as The Dark Mother... since Liminals are basically a mash up of Promethean and Orpheus, I’m inclined to think she’s largely a port of Grandmother from Orpheus AKA The Grand Maw. Something older than the Neverborn and Malfeans/Yozi (which were also in Orpheus), that wants to eventually consume everything (Underworld, Creation, Wyld, Malfeas, all of it) and birth a new reality — a World of Darkness, if you will — fulfilling the original premise of Exalted as the Secret (Animated) History of WoD.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Are those their real names? Thalassan? Morphean? Or are you just making those up?
              made them up. In fact, one of the new Exalts is going to have their name starting in R according to the previous dev, but I've decided to ignore that fact as it doesn't actually give my anything

I now blog in here

Comment

Wow I didn't know they revealed so much so far! Cool Light!

So Which is the type that was supposed to be the Nemesis of the Lunars? The Dreaming ones or possibly the Tartareans?

I always figured we have an equivalent of Primordial Exigents, basically one offs or small handful batches of Potent and assorted champions of the Primordials.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                  Wow I didn't know they revealed so much so far! Cool Light!

So Which is the type that was supposed to be the Nemesis of the Lunars? The Dreaming ones or possibly the Tartareans?

I always figured we have an equivalent of Primordial Exigents, basically one offs or small handful batches of Potent and assorted champions of the Primordials.
                  according to my crazy theories, the Morphean would be Lunar foil, the Tartarian Solar foil and the Auroral the Sidereal foil. Again, it is built on so many assumption that even if I'll be half correct I'll feel like a genius, but at worst case scenario I hope I'll homebrew them when we'll get Exigents.

as for a Primordial Exigents, I also have a similar concept, based around the 2E version of the Infernals, called Akuma. The exact circumstance of their creations deeply depend on how 3E's Infernals would turn out, but I may post the concept for them (and few other homebrew Exalts concepts) in this thread.

I now blog in here

Comment

We know that the Getimian are the Sidereal Foil. They're all about fate and have a small loom in their ribcage. They're stillborn fates. People who should not exist but do anyway.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                      We know that the Getimian are the Sidereal Foil. They're all about fate and have a small loom in their ribcage. They're stillborn fates. People who should not exist but do anyway.
                      if I remember correctly, there are two Sidereal foils- one which is the Getimian, and one which is yet unknown.

I now blog in here

Comment

So, am I the only one who thinks they're going way overboard with new types of Exalt? In the OP, I count six (SIX!) different types of Exalt I hadn't heard of before. Come on, guys. Exigents, I can see. A god needs a champion, and petitions the UCS to allow the creation of a one-off Exalt. But what archetype/role to Liminals fill that can't be done with a Chosen of Endings? Why create Getimians rather than recruiting other Sidereals? I'm worried that Exaltation-creep is diluting the power and the awesomeness of Exalts in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
                          So, am I the only one who thinks they're going way overboard with new types of Exalt? In the OP, I count six (SIX!) different types of Exalt I hadn't heard of before. Come on, guys. Exigents, I can see. A god needs a champion, and petitions the UCS to allow the creation of a one-off Exalt. But what archetype/role to Liminals fill that can't be done with a Chosen of Endings? Why create Getimians rather than recruiting other Sidereals? I'm worried that Exaltation-creep is diluting the power and the awesomeness of Exalts in general.

Liminals? Problems of Identity, of seeking purpose. Of being deemed monstrous by those you protect. Memories, especially not your own.
                          Getimians are a bit more opaque, given their not spelled out in the core, but given their Taoist leanings, I'm thinking Identity again. Probably notions of reistance against authorities and self generation (Given their from people that shouldn't have been). Power of will maybe, with the whole make your own fate (literally).

The rest are ???? because their not fully described in the core, so we can only guess.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I don't know- for me, it is the other way around. The concept of the new Exalts makes me think about Exaltation as more of a true miracle than a mass produced weapon which the gods created for some reason, and than forgot how to turn off, so left them to be. If anything, Exigence interests me the least because it lacks some higher myth- but I'll wait for the actual book before I make any judgement. Having Exaltation as a general term for the act where a god empowers an heroic soul instead of something which was done once, and only once, because only some of the gods could thanks to a special technique given by a primordial has a special charm in my eyes- it is not some weird sorcery known by the the Incarna, but an integral part of the setting. It is not some artifact, spell or any other kind of mechanical and soulless magic. It is a miracle, something which happen when the Powers That Be are willing to diminish their own might, and in exchange raise a champion in their own, divine image.

Also, it helps to focus the other splats- Lunars can be primal shapeshifters without having to become silver Solars or the Exalts of the Wyld. Sidereals gain something new and strange to deal with other than murdering babies. The new Exalts take concepts which help the old ones to become more focused, presenting them a foil which makes them shine brighter. They aren't there only to make Exaltation more awesome, they are there to make the old Exalts more awesome. Besides, as their numbers are going to be, more or less, on the scale of the Infernals, I don't think you should have a lot of problems at running an whole game without even mentioning them, in case you won't like them.

However, you are not the only one who dislike the concept of the new Exalts- which makes sense. It is a game you know and love, and you have a strong view of how the setting should be and who goes against whom, and you are afraid that those radical changes in the setting may ruin it forever. My only suggestion is to wait for the new Exalts and see how they turn out. Who knows? they may even make the setting into better than before.

I now blog in here

Comment

I'm worried that Exaltation-creep is diluting the power and the awesomeness of Exalts in general.
                              That strikes me as a pretty silly worry, considering that Exalt numbers are practically negligible compared to the general population, so there is literally no good in-setting reason for you not to be free to ignore the new types.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                              Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...
                              X