No announcement yet.

Musing and Theorizing about the New Exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the big irony of infernals and to a lesser extent abyssals. The Immaculate Order has been painting solars as this thing for years and now, suddenly, it's true.

It's the ultimate "now choke on it".

Comment

Originally posted by VioletDreamer View Post

Like people might just point to them and call them Solar Anathema and not be able to parse that they're like, actually kinda demonic instead of being metaphorically demonic?
      ​I can't quite remember what I was thinking at the time... I think it was something along the lines of their feats and personas being generally regarded as Solar ilk from afar, and that even if you're in an encounter with them they might do some things that externally seem indistinguishable as puissant feats (even if they might be mechanically distinguished in some ways, including the personality of the Charms, so to speak; what they're for, and how they reset), and that when they actually do distinguishable things like turn into a cloud of psychic glass snakes, it's somewhere between creating sudden extreme confusion about what they are and an immediate removal of all witnesses.

​I might be overthinking it, though. My base idea might just have been that the other Solars coming back creates a distraction and a cover, and they otherwise benefit from Creation being filled with strangeness.

​Still, now that I've laid all of that out, I still have some issues with it. One of my bigger concerns with Infernals is how to prevent their relative newness (both in and out of character) from giving them excessive weight in the setting. I'm thinking, if I put a lot of effort into thinking of ways for them to be secret, is that not playing into an idea that there's something very important and dangerous abut them, that overshadows the general return of the Solar Exalted?

​On the other hand... it might have just been a notion of how there are fewer of them, and a bit of initial obscurity might simply be an advantage that should be capitalised upon, rather than a necessary shield to keep them from being top priority. Abyssals might be in a similar boat, were it not for their game having been given away by Mask of Winters from the outset.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So, the ask the devs thread got an interesting post:

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        The former.

So, that actually touches on a deeper issue. Since we took over as developers, the unrevealed types of new Exalted are something we've been working on and discussing with writers. We've nailed down solid concepts that I'm happy with for all three of them. But, at the same time, there's a trade-off incurred for introducing new types of Exalted into the gameline—both in terms of the time and effort that would need to be devoted to writing their books instead of the "classic" Exalted, and in terms of complicating the setting through their interactions with the other Exalted. Lunars don't particularly need the introduction of any foils when they already have compelling dynamics with literally every other one of the classic Exalted bar Alchemicals, and the Sidereals don't need an additional foil on top of the new opportunities that adding Getimians and Exigents to the setting adds for them.

So, what's that mean? The three unrevealed Exalt types—which, I might as well go ahead and name as the Hearteaters, the Umbral Exalted, and the Dream-Souled—are going to be optional canon. Individual Storytellers are going to be free to include them in their games, and get pointers on how to do so, but the rest of the line isn't going to be written around the assumption that they exist. Right now, we aren't planning to release dedicated splatbooks for them. Instead, since Exigents is already going to double as the homebrew-your-own-splat book, the plan is to include them in an appendix, laying out their overarching themes and concepts, describing their Charmsets with enough detail for individuals to homebrew their own takes, laying out their backstories, and giving some advice on how to integrate them into your game. Depending on the response to them, we might revise whether or not they get a splatbook later down the line.
        The woman with the aurora-like anima banner is a Hearteater.

The tormented-look guy with a shadow looming over him is one of the Umbral Exalted.

The brawny guy in a toga is one of the Dream-Souled.
        Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Do heart-eaters literally eat hearts? Since that's what Lunars do. Or is it something more metaphorical?

And does the Dream in Dream-Souled refer to actual dreams, is it a reference to Raksha and/or the Wyld, or something else entirely?
        It's metaphorical.

It refers to both actual dreams and to the mythopoeic nature of the Wyld.

(they've got no ties to the raksha)
        The Hearteaters and the Umbral Exalted were the Lunar foils. The Dream-Souled were an additional Sidereal foil.
        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 02-11-2018, 02:22 AM.

Placeholder

Comment

I meant IS the armored guy... damn, the lack of sleep and too much tests do really ruin the brain :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            So, the ask the devs thread got an interesting post:
            I must say that I don't know how I feel about those news. I, personally, was really excited to see the new Exalts in the settings, especially after all of the build up which was made toward them- and now it feels like a bit "meh" to me. I assume that it is a safe path, and in the case the new guys would be much more popular than expected they may get a bigger role in future books, and they are not removed from the setting or anything, but still- I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Still, it is funny how I got everything wrong- toga guy being derived from sleep and Sidereal foil, while Umbral probably being bitten soul deep. I am interested in seeing what the Umbral and Hearteaters actually are.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Tbh, we'll get to find out about them next year, rather than in 5 years, so if you're big into them I think it's a net gain.

Thing is, I think new Exalt types were a good idea to invigorate the line, but the previous Devs had very optimistic ideas of how quickly they could produce books compared to what they actually managed. Also, Exalted already has a lot of Exalt types, and two more (Getimians and Liminals) are being introduced with as much weight as the old ones.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the previous developers weren't going to give them full splat treatment either.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that the previous developers weren't going to give them full splat treatment either.
                  In the sense of their own hardcover splats, anyway. They were hinting about softcover splats, possibly books with more than one Exalted type.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Armored man is an Infernal. The others in the pic were all identified in the ask thread.
                    Thanks for clearing it up. Who is who then?

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    I meant IS the armored guy... damn, the lack of sleep and too much tests do really ruin the brain :P
                    It happens, nobody is perfect without charm use - beside the Sun, that is.
                    Last edited by Baaldam; 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

In the sense of their own hardcover splats, anyway. They were hinting about softcover splats, possibly books with more than one Exalted type.
                      They'd still likely have what has been described as a bit simplified presentation compared to the classical Exalts, likely lacking Castes or Aspects, and having Essence-based Charmsets built around thier themes and such. They'd be more ST-facing and their mechancis for PCs would have been pretty bare bones as I understand it.

My interpreation on that then is that in War Against Heaven, we'd of gotten a chapter on Getimians, but again, no Castes, no Attribute-based Charms, all that. They'd be there to push the narrative of the book, but htey themselve slikely wouldn't have been very deep for PC options. The current devs are shifting them to full splat treatment in part because they think they have the thematic weight to jusitfy it, but the other three look like while interesting, probably just don't have the thematic weight at this time to justify more than pseudo-canonical stats.

That being said, remember that Alchemicals getting a book at all in 1e was a matter that folks thought htey were intriguing early on. So I would say Never Say Never, but also probably remember Alchemicals, Infernals and Getimians are in front of the line.

And stuff.
                      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Craft Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Thanks for clearing it up. Who is who then?
                        per the thread

The woman with the aurora-like anima banner is a Hearteater.

The tormented-look guy with a shadow looming over him is one of the Umbral Exalted.

The brawny guy in a toga is one of the Dream-Souled.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I'm curious about the Dream-Souled and Hearteaters, but I'll wait until we see the blurbs in Exigents before I officially say "Aw, I want more"

Granted, given this forum, I'm sure it'll just be time before someone comes up with Homebrew Expanded Dream-Souled, with castes referring to types of dreams.

(There is a LOT of tension between those empowered by Dreams-Of-Falling and those empowered by Dreams-Of-Being-In-Front-Of-Everyone-You-Know-And-You're-Not-Wearing-Pants)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                            I'm curious about the Dream-Souled and Hearteaters, but I'll wait until we see the blurbs in Exigents before I officially say "Aw, I want more"

Granted, given this forum, I'm sure it'll just be time before someone comes up with Homebrew Expanded Dream-Souled, with castes referring to types of dreams.

(There is a LOT of tension between those empowered by Dreams-Of-Falling and those empowered by Dreams-Of-Being-In-Front-Of-Everyone-You-Know-And-You're-Not-Wearing-Pants)
                            But... Dace never wears pants anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

But... Dace never wears pants anyway.
                              I mean, he's going for this Roman legionaire look. Pants were a sign of barbarism back in the day, remember. Skirts are for civilized gentlemen.

And stuff.
                              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Craft Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

I mean, he's going for this Roman legionaire look. Pants were a sign of barbarism back in the day, remember. Skirts are for civilized gentlemen.
                                How about thongs?

Placeholder

Comment

Working...
                                X