No announcement yet.

Musing and Theorizing about the New Exalts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a playable fair-folk-esque splat leaves more room for Raksha to be more like spirits, I suppose.

Comment

• In what way? I don't really see that Raksha need to be more like spirits.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• I highly doubt the Raksha would become more spirit like, as it would mean they would be less of a player material, and that the Dream souls are only optional and have been stated to have no connection to Fair Folk.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• That's the thing. The raksha aren't really player material. And having an actual exalt type that covers the same themes means there's less pressure to make the weird alien dream vampires a full splat.

Comment

• Oh, I kind of agree with that.

I mean, admittedly, we have a Raksha in the party and the player enjoys playing it. But cramming faeries spawned from chaos into the systemic rules of a splat is probably not a great thing.

I just don't see why you'd want to make them more like spirits. Unless, by "more like spirits", you mean "have non-standardised charms".

Comment

• Yeah, that was the sort of thing I meant. There has to be some structure, obviously, because otherwise all the wyld stuff just ends up an undifferentiated blob.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Okay, so it seems to me that the Hearteaters seem to have been a kind of Exalt who were somehow corrupted in their entirety, and so the Solars drove them out.
                But was this during the High First Age? Shortly after the Primordial War? Or even before the end of the Primordial War?

I'm interested that the Dream-Souled, the ones with some kind of connection to the Wyld, were conceived as foils for the Sidereals, rather than the Lunars. So I'd guess they're not allied with the Raksha, not trying to invade Creation. But perhaps being connected to the Wyld, they damage causality with their mythic powers (I don't mean that's what they're about; but maybe their powers relate to the mythic nature of the Wyld, and this is in opposition to the mere reality fought for by the Sidereals).
                Hmmm.... Maybe that's what the Sidereal triptych is about. Sids, Getimians, and Dream Souled fighting over the nature and definition of reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  That's the thing. The raksha aren't really player material. And having an actual exalt type that covers the same themes means there's less pressure to make the weird alien dream vampires a full splat.
                  This I agree with. But will have to wait and look at the implemention of course. Once I thought the lunars actually did this, but that is another story which does not need to enter here.

Also it lets the fair folk have a distance such as spirits making them mysterious and they are certainly the one splat in Exalted the relies on that, more than anybody else.

Comment

• Well, it was mentioned once that the Raksha would use a different system than the Exalted for their powers to emphasis that they are different monsters, but that was during the time of the previous devs, so who knows?

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post

I must say that I don't know how I feel about those news. I, personally, was really excited to see the new Exalts in the settings, especially after all of the build up which was made toward them- and now it feels like a bit "meh" to me. I assume that it is a safe path, and in the case the new guys would be much more popular than expected they may get a bigger role in future books, and they are not removed from the setting or anything, but still- I'm a bit underwhelmed.
                      Most of the heat built was smoke, not fire, believe you me. The design work was something we came to as an iterative process over long months, not something fully formed.
                      Last edited by Neall; 02-12-2018, 11:40 AM.

Neall Raemonn Price
                      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• To be honest, I wasn't interested in them at all because we didn't have any details (beyond Liminals and Getimians). Now there's a little bit about them, I'm more intrigued.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
                          Most of the heat built was smoke, not fire, believe you me. The design work was something we came to as an iterative process over long months, not something fully formed.
                          Being honest, the thing that excited me the most was the art (especially the Hearteater). It was so cool that I just thought to myself "damn, I want to play one of those!". I assume that building upon nothing more than an image is not the safest move, but that was what we had to work with :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• I only became interested when Lioness referred to one of the prior Lunar foils as mega creepy—given that I came to the game line via Infernals, that appears to be the surest way to get my buy-in for a given concept.

Comment

• I wonder if it is the Hearteaters which Lioness talked about, or the Umbrals. It feels it would be the Hearteaters, but I'm not sure.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Which character are we assuming is a Hearteater and which is an Umbral in that piece?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X