Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you build Not!Herakles in Exalted 3E?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you build Not!Herakles in Exalted 3E?

Him being Solar is probably 99% sure (He is probably one of the main examples of the archetype that solars represent) but what caste and supernal ability would represent him the best?
    You can be more precise than that if you want tough.

I think glamourweaver made him, or was in the process of doing so?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

I would make Heracles differently depending on what you're looking for, obviously. While he should probably always favor a variety of combat abilities (Archery and Melee/Brawl come to mind), obviously you want him to have Athletics as well. Because of this, I think his caste is dependent on what you want to focus on; if you want to be focused on his physical power over his combat strength, a Night or a Zenith Caste can both be good, while focusing on his combat abilities would naturally lead towards Dawn.

If you wanted to focus on his Rage issues and his 12 labors, I think that would actually be better as a different type of Exalt though. I've been playing around with it and I think, if you wanted to focus on the idea of the Labors and his issues with rage, I'd make Heracles a Black Market Exigent; a mish-mash of strong and combative Gods; War Gods and Competitive Spirits, ending up in the hands of someone that it was not intended to be in. From there, his Rage issues come from his Exaltation being 'wrong'; his episodes where he becomes completely enraged and turns into a beast are his Exaltation literally tearing at the seams as it struggles to stay together, while the labors come from Heaven itself, who wishes to test if he is worthy of the power he has been given, or if they should take it back.

Comment

Well, he was known for his enormous strength, so I'd give him Athletics supernal (and probably plough straight up the tree to Nine Aeons Thew) which means for caste he'd have to be either Zenith or Night. He feels more like a Zenith to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Well, he was known for his enormous strength, so I'd give him Athletics supernal (and probably plough straight up the tree to Nine Aeons Thew) which means for caste he'd have to be either Zenith or Night. He feels more like a Zenith to me.
          Perhaps that is what he wants you to think...

Comment

The Dawns dont have Athletics in 3ed?

Comment

Dawn for his Wrastling(tm). Or Archery. Or Clubbing.
              Zenith for when he's Strong(tm) and imposing and leading armies, and founding cities. And killing monsters (I'd make that his Smite, as opposed to generic Dawn greatness. ANd his abillity to wrestle death seems like the materialization anima banner).

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Nope, they get Awareness, Dodge, and Resistance on top of their original five.

That said, I really can't see Herakles as anything but a Dawn. If you want to go Supernal Athletics that doesn't work, but the Zenith and Night Anima powers don't make any sense for him. The Dawn Anima is perfect for him.

Picking a Supernal is kind of hard since there's some many versions of his mythology. That said, I would think the most iconic take would be Supernal Brawl with a focus on grappling (though he's also got significant investment in Archery, Melee, and Resistance, and definitely favors Athletics too). A lot of Hercules' feats throughout his stories involve him wrestling things. Herakles without Dragon Coil Technique feels... wrong. Though I admit he should have the ISE tree bought up too. He also regularly uses improvised weapons which falls under Brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                  I think glamourweaver made him, or was in the process of doing so?
                  Yeah, I can repost. i gave him Supernal Brawl. Thing is most of his earliest feats were slaying monsters. He doesn’t have to hold up the sky till he’s Essence 5 anyway, so Athletics can build over time.
                  Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Heracles was well known for his combat skills (Melee, Brawl, and Archery) but he's even more known for his, ahem, herculean strength. I think he should probably have Athletics as his Supernal which in 3rd edition means he would have to be either Night Caste or Zenith Caste (assuming he was a Solar). But Dawn really works a lot better for him.

This is one case where you're trying to fit an oval into a round hole. Dawn almost works, but it doesn't quite work perfectly, but still better than Zenith. If I were running a game and somebody really, really, really wanted to play Heracles, I'd probably just allow them to swap one of their Caste Abilities out for Athletics so they could make the character they envision.

Comment

His narrative is mostly one of martial power. His most iconic deed he’s represented doing in art is strangling what in Creation would be called a Behemoth. His incredible strength is primarily brought to bare through violent force which Brawl Charms do more than Athletics Charms.

He does have incredible feats of raw strength, but as I noted, those are late in his Labors, where his Essence is already high enough for the requisite Charms without needing to be Supernal. If you’re following his narrative, the Ability he needs to be Supernal for his earliest Labors is Brawl.

It’s like how if I wrote an Alexander Hamilton based Eclipse, i’d give him Supernal Linguistics rather Bureaucracy, because he wrote his way out of nowhere long before he designed the original US financial and banking system.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I agree with glamourweaver; while he's known for his amazing strength, he's got a lot of myth to pick from, and him wrestling something features at least as much in his legends. I also agree that caste choice ultimately depends on what you want to do with him.

(For the rage issues, I'd give him the Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit-type Charms from Resistance and probably roleplay him in ways that lead to him Limit Breaking with Berserk Anger at inopportune times.)

Comment

Yeah, Heracles really deserves Supernal Brawl. He was strangling monsters younger than most babies learn to walk.

...and also, Heracles and his Hera-inflicted rage issues are the closest parallel I know in myth to the Great Curse. (Also my favorite example of why I don't really like how Limit works in the game. Heracles' rage-driven murders do not sound like a fun way to begin and/or complicate a story, no matter how flawed you like your heroes.)

Comment

Definitely supernal Brawl/Martial Arts.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                              ...and also, Heracles and his Hera-inflicted rage issues are the closest parallel I know in myth to the Great Curse.
                              What, no love for Moses killing the Egyptian overseer? Or Odysseus taunting the blinded Polyphemus by revealing his real name? Or Jesus scourging the moneychangers in the temple?

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                              (Also my favorite example of why I don't really like how Limit works in the game. Heracles' rage-driven murders do not sound like a fun way to begin and/or complicate a story, no matter how flawed you like your heroes.)
                              But as I mentioned above, rage-driven murders are hardly one's only option.

Comment

Working...
                              X