sorcery questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Why does "the gods lack the capacity to use the highest heights of sorcery, only attained by the most powerful Solar sorcerers, after whom the entire circle was named" need explanation? It's like asking why the ancient Mesoamericans didn't invent the hydrogen bomb.
    by that logic the second circle is named after the celestial exalted

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
      Yes, i think that is where it got its name. The circles got their names after the exalts.

Comment

To echo Sakii, that’s how I always looked at it, it was a division of power level based upon which exalt type in the main line could perform what level of sorcery.

Comment

I'm almost certain that that's what the name refers to.

Comment

…yes, and…?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              …yes, and…?
              point being, gods can use THAT level,even though they obviously aren't celestial exalted

Comment

But the NAME of the circle represents the exalted, even if other beings can use that circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Saipjas View Post
                  But the NAME of the circle represents the exalted, even if other beings can use that circle.
                  fair enough but let me remind , that before it was discovered(by brigid or whatever) all three circles were used by at least the primordials themselves(possible their souls too,though i guess it's possible they only taught them sorcery so they can keep up with their enemies)...and i'd bet they had different names for them.

Comment

sorry,meant that gods can't use SOLAR circle sorcery
                    Because in 2nd Ed terms, Solar Exaltation unlocked Primordial scale power that the Primordials didn’t design the gods themselves to wield (beyond as specifically required by their function, hence the Incarnae having specific Adamant Circle spells their Charms replicate).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

that before it was discovered(by brigid or whatever) all three circles were used by at least the primordials themselves…
                      Per 2e, yeah, but frankly, I don't think that was a very good idea. The Yozis don't need sorcery any more than Superman needs a gun (and indeed, stories where the writers do give Supes a gun invariably turn out stupid).

...and i'd bet they had different names for them.
                      Do you think sea otters come up with names for the rocks they use to bash open clam shells? Do you think that we should default to the capuchin word for "hammer," whatever it is, since they might have come up with the notion of using them as tools before us?
                      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; Today, 10:56 AM.

Comment

@mark I think you are looking at sorcery related to the primordials a bit off. The primordials and the lesser souls just did sorcery, with levels of expertise based upon the power of the soul. But it was not something discrete until humans interacted and defined it. It just was a thing they did, as much as a part of them as a charm is. Imo

Comment

I'd be ok with "rather than actual sorcery, the yozi's / primordials have effects that can achieve anything within it's (and their) purview as an effect of their native charmsets."

Basically they don't have it because they don't need it.

Comment

Elfive I can see why they have it, as sorcery is about imposing one’s will upon creation imo. Just as they formed creation from chaos, sorcery allows them to shape the fabric of reality. But you milage can very on it.

Comment

They can definitely do sorcery, but I don't see it as necessary that they have it.

Comment

fair enough but let me remind , that before it was discovered(by brigid or whatever) all three circles were used by at least the primordials themselves(possible their souls too,though i guess it's possible they only taught them sorcery so they can keep up with their enemies)...and i'd bet they had different names for them.
                                The other major names for the circles were:
                                Emerald - Terrestrial
                                Sapphire - Celestial
                                Adamant - Solar

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Working...
                                X