[Ex3] Learning new Caste abilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] Learning new Caste abilities

Could not seem to get a definitive answer so I'll check with you guys.

Suppose I have a Dawn character that picks up an artifact bow, he has zero dots in Archery prior to this and decides to expand his options with this ranged weapon.

When buying Archery dots and Charms, does he pay for them as a Caste ability or is it non-Caste and non-Favored for him?

You pick which abilities you consider caste/favoured at character creation. That's fixed. You don't have to put any dots in caste abilities, but unless you said "I'm gonna have archery as caste but not put any dots in it" back then you'll pay full price when you pick it up later.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      You pick which abilities you consider caste/favoured at character creation. That's fixed. You don't have to put any dots in caste abilities, but unless you said "I'm gonna have archery as caste but not put any dots in it" back then you'll pay full price when you pick it up later.

Ok to summarise. As long as at character creation my Dawn does not have a single dot in Archery, subsequent purchases would be at full price and not at discount.

Comment

Originally posted by CharonFerryman View Post
        Ok to summarise. As long as at character creation my Dawn does not have a single dot in Archery, subsequent purchases would be at full price and not at discount.
        No, you've misread him.

Archery is no longer automatically a Caste Ability for a given Dawn. Now the player of any Dawn gets to pick five from a list of eight. (Archery, Awareness, Brawl/Martial Arts, Dodge, Melee, Resistance, Thrown, and War.)

If you did take it as Caste, then yes, you get the Caste discount, regardless of whether you put any dots in it. If you didn't, you don't.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-05-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

During character creation, you "Select five Caste Abilities from the relevant list (see p. 121)."
          Dawn Caste may choose among: Archery, Awareness, Brawl (and Martial Arts), Dodge, Melee, Resistance, Thrown, War.
          If your player chose Archery among his/her five Caste Abilities, it is purchased at a discount. No starting dot was required either way.
          If your player chose 5 Abilities that did NOT include Archery, it is purchased without a discount.
          (This also assumes your player did not choose to mark it as a Favored Ability)

Comment

Though considering how broad your set of choices are for Caste Abilities in Ex3, the most sensible reason I can think of to start with a 0 in a Caste Ability is if you decided you want improving it to be significant to the story.

Comment

Well my character is a sword geek, so his only combat Ability is Melee at character creation. So at character creation his caste abilities are Awareness, Dodge, Melee, Resistance and War.

Later on in the story, he found a pair of red jade smashfists, and developed Brawl in order to use them well. And now he's found a blue jade power bow, he's considering adding Archery to his skill set.

He's always about self-improvement and practical growth. So I just need a clarification of the rules in order to calculate the xp and number of training days to pay to legally acquire Brawl and Archery. Because at default I treated training Brawl as a non-caste/non-favored Ability and paid accordingly. Now that Archery is coming in, I felt I should get additional clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by CharonFerryman View Post
                Well my character is a sword geek, so his only combat Ability is Melee at character creation. So at character creation his caste abilities are Awareness, Dodge, Melee, Resistance and War.

Later on in the story, he found a pair of red jade smashfists, and developed Brawl in order to use them well. And now he's found a blue jade power bow, he's considering adding Archery to his skill set.

He's always about self-improvement and practical growth. So I just need a clarification of the rules in order to calculate the xp and number of training days to pay to legally acquire Brawl and Archery. Because at default I treated training Brawl as a non-caste/non-favored Ability and paid accordingly. Now that Archery is coming in, I felt I should get additional clarification.
                Non-caste and non-favored for Archery too.

Comment

You don’t add new caste or favored abilities after character generation. If your character came out of chargen, and of the five caste abilities you selected Archery was not one of them, Achery now is not a caste ability and you don’t get a discount.

Comment

Sometimes it's easier to understand if you consider "Caste abilities" is only a relevant term at chargen.
                    Every benefit you get is actually from Favoring some of your caste abilities and making one of them supernal. After you've marked which is which, it's done. You only ever have to bother about the favored/non-favored distinction.

Comment

Yeah, basically what you actually do is "Pick a supernal from this list of eight abilities. Then pick nine favoured abilities, at least four of which also have to come from the list."

Comment

No problem, it is very clear now. Thanks a lot guys! This thread can be closed now.

Comment

Working...
                        X