Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are the yozis prisons intentionally flawed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are the yozis prisons intentionally flawed?

the implication being that the flaws are necessary for summoning and binding to work. now, i understand and sympathise with lunars need to bed lucien. solars, to bed ligier and UCS need for malfeas. but overall would it not be better to lock them inside some perfect event horizon and forget about them?

Originally posted by mark View Post
    the implication being that the flaws are necessary for summoning and binding to work. now, i understand and sympathise with lunars need to bed lucien. solars, to bed ligier and UCS need for malfeas. but overall would it not be better to lock them inside some perfect event horizon and forget about them?
    Nope Games of Divinity and other books mention that if they were to be locked perfectly away for all eternity they would have nothing stopping them from unleashing such insane horrors upon the world that would dwarf even their own rage. Basically if you were to do that they would be viewed as having nothing left to lose.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I can think of even better possible reasons. Maybe those "flaws" are actually necessary for the prison to function at all.

I mean, to totally seal them off would likely require making it as if they didn't exist on a metaphysical level. But that would also mean that from their perspective the solars wouldn't exist. So how could the surrender oaths remain in effect? You can't vow eternal submission to a non-existent set of beings and expect it to carry any weight.

Basically, it seems logical to me that a "perfect" prison wouldn't have held them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Nope Games of Divinity and other books mention that if they were to be locked perfectly away for all eternity they would have nothing stopping them from unleashing such insane horrors upon the world that would dwarf even their own rage. Basically if you were to do that they would be viewed as having nothing left to lose.

well,how would they go on with UNLEASHING said horrors?

Comment

They could just wake Sacheverell up.

Comment

Consider the prison's cracks features, not bugs. It was the best solution they came up with, and it is miraculously good. To the point odds are that's the best prison that could be.

The narrative intent is clear: The yozis are stuck, forever. So yeah, that prison's just about perfect.

Comment

You've started a thread asking this exact question before...

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

And as usual, the answer to the question of "why didn't they make a perfect and flawless prison" is either "they couldn't" or "they tried and failed".

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                  And as usual, the answer to the question of "why didn't they make a perfect and flawless prison" is either "they couldn't" or "they tried and failed".
                  Or they succeeded, and their goal was just to create a prison for the Yozis. Some demons slipping out here or there? No biggie. But those little cracks make it so no one crack gets big enough for an entire Yozi (blah blah Return of the Scarlet Empress blah). The little branches bend and occasionally snap in the wind so that the tree doesn't blow over. Elasticity over rigidity.

ALSO, as Eldagusto says, the Yozis are at risk of going down with the ship if anything really bad happens to Creation. Even if there were no knock on effect into Hell from whatever apocalypse caused it, which is unlikely, Creation ceasing to be would still be bad for them. On some level the Yozis (like the Fair Folk, in their own way) realize that Creation is the point. They're the government-in-exile, off on a little island. They can remodel the island and order around their servants but in a real way nothing that happens on their island matters, and they know it. They aren't getting off the island but if they can't at least interfere with mainland politics they don't have much reason to exist at all.
                  Last edited by Blackwell; 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

If you give an enemy no escape, they will certainly fight to the death. The Exalted were -already- freaked out by the creation of the Neverborn, so they probably wanted to avoid that again.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                      well,how would they go on with UNLEASHING said horrors?
                      I think the implication is that it would have happened concurrently with the 3 Spheres Cataclysm (i.e. as the Yozis were being sealed away), and made that look like a nose boop.

Comment

There's also a begged quesiton that a perfect prison was even possible.

And stuff.
                        Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

They crammed 23 (+?) Primordials inside each other as an endless recursion of nesting dolls from which they can never escape. I think it’s a pretty baseless assumption that there was some way they could have completely metaphysically separates them from Creation never to be heard from again, but chose not to.

(Ok, not completely baseless - Second Edition actively suggested it, but that was unnecessary and should be ignored now, just like the unnecessary “Incarnae had to give the Exalted free will or else the Primordials could have ordered the Incarnae to make the the Exalted stop fighting” nonsense - when nothing before that had suggested the Geas could make the Incarnae follow direct orders)
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-06-2017, 02:32 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

My vote is that you need the cracks as a form of pressure valve. Otherwise, kaboom.

Comment

3e moved away from it, but one of the issues in Exalted is what happens when one perfect effect runs into another. Given perfection can in fact be a thing in Exalted it's something they had to worry about.

In the case of a perfect Yozi prisons there is the very real possibility that a Yozi's perfect defenses might In fact supersed a perfect prison allowing them to break out. An imperfect prison doesn't run into this issue, instead the Yozi's can crash through layers of imperfect prisons and probably end up back where they started as the thrash around a whole bunch.

Lets not forget that Malfeas is the prison, so most of the other Yozis aren't going to risk his anger by trying to break through him. And he is unlikely to allow his own prowess to be overcome even by himself if he were to try and break out.

Comment

Working...
                              X