Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Bands Movement and Distance

Aka Death be to range bands.

Does anyone have a quick and dirty way to convert over to using more traditional yards/meters? I have a circle of techy computer people who much like myself like working in hard numbers.

They, er, sort of get bigger the further away they are.

Just pick a reasonable number, I guess?

Comment

You can sort of figure the numbers out from weapon stats.

Darts are short-range weapons and the standard distance you're supposed to stand away from a dartboard is 7'9.25".

Boomerangs are medium-range and they have a real-world range of 22 to 44 yards.

The range of a Greek bow was 180 yards for long range.

For extreme range, trebuchets have a range of 300 metres.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Range bands are deliberately designed to be difficult-to-impossible to translate into concrete numbers. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t shift to using real numbers if you prefer. It does mean you shouldn’t try to “decode” range bands into real numbers by using whatever clues and hints you can dig out of the text, because they’re not real clues or hints, they’re not written with the intent that they can be used for that purpose, and you’ll probably either not be able to do it, or, worse, you will figure out a way to do, but it won’t be in line with designer intent and will produce strange, bad results in play.

Comment

I have no idea how good of an idea this would be in terms of not causing strange, bad results in play, but the CofD has a way you might be able to do this. Mostly because the CofD defaults to concrete numbers, and has a supplement with optional rules for range bands. Since the supplement (Hurt Locker) has to walk through the logic of moving from concrete numbers to abstract bands (and includes guides for translating them), it's not a bad framework for how to reverse engineer the idea.

Comment

Since I do most of my gaming online, and all of my players love minis anyway I'm planning on experimenting with distance used in Pathfinder, as such distances are practical for use with such formats. There are a lot of war games that use something that approximates to range bands as well.

In such a setup range bands would approximate to.

Close 0-5 feet
            Short 5-30 feet
            Medium 30-60 feet
            Long 60-120 feet
            Extreme 120+ feet

As I said before I intend to experiment with these numbers. Distances above Short are likely to change, but those are my starting values.

Comment

Close 0-5 feet
              Short 5-30 feet
              Medium 30-60 feet
              Long 60-120 feet
              Extreme 120+ feet
              That's kind of what we've done when trying to work out how fast some long-distance athletics charms actually let you go.
              I can't say I've found it's worked very well though. It would probably be worse for regular combat though, because you get the thing where people move slower the closer they are to each other.

Honestly, range bands work fine as an abstraction for people who want a fairly abstract movement thing without grids or models, but once you try putting real numbers in they become a bit nonsensical. Firemage, if you want "quick and dirty", go with what Hark posted. Just be aware that the movement charms and movement system will get kind of weird, and frustrating.
              Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-08-2017, 01:58 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

All sorts of crazy pops out of it with or without numbers. My plan, until it becomes a problem is to describe the length of a round to be more flexible to account for various discrepancies that pop up.

Comment

I prefer abstract range bands to actual distance numbers for most purposes (nothing good ever came of the rare occasions when we needed distance math back in the 1e days), but it would certainly be nice to know how fast a Solar using Racing Hare Method actually travels outside battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                    I prefer abstract range bands to actual distance numbers for most purposes (nothing good ever came of the rare occasions when we needed distance math back in the 1e days), but it would certainly be nice to know how fast a Solar using Racing Hare Method actually travels outside battle.
                    Absolutely. Mountain-Crossing Leap too, though that does at least give some kind of vague idea.

The ride charm for going long distances works fine, though copy-pasting it for Racing Hare doesn't quite work.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                    X