The Eyeless face?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eyeless face?

So some of my fave sorcery spells in exalted are the various Eyeless face spells (summon lesser and greater minions, and become the eyeless face) possibly in part due to the amazing art for summon greater minions of the eyeless face in 'the book of 3 circles' (possibly from mooncalf - Sofie Campbell, but i don't want to miss-attribute it)
    and i hope the spells are introduced to 3rd ed in the sorcery book whenever that gets released.

anyhow in the white treatise we are told that the Eyeless face is some entity bound in Elsewhere by the Solars, as far as i know it is never stated what sort of entity the Eyeless face is?
    Exalted Storytellers in your games what is the eyeless face, (or if there is a canon answer let me know)?

None that i heard of beside the blurbs on the entity in the White Treatise itself - the closest we get to a glimpse of what the being's powers might be like is probably the mechanics of Become the Eyeless Face. Most certainly some kind of behemoth, with the fact it's not imprisoned in Malfeas (like Vorvyn-Derlin and some other such beings) implying it's one totally independent in nature (and powerset) from any Primordials.

The Minions' obsession with individuality and customization makes me think that either they fear the possibility of its loss, through either alteration or possession by their maker, or that the entity itself might possess some kind of obsession with the idea of form, variation & individuality and the Minions are its peculiar way of dipping its metaphorical toes into the subject, akin to the Raksha's urge to invent roles and personal legends in a rudimentary way. But all of that is admitedly just my musings on the subject, so anyone's guesses are about as good as mine.

Comment

people talk about the primordials being evolved fair folk, something i had just thought of reading your post, is maybe its the missing link

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
        people talk about the primordials being evolved fair folk, something i had just thought of reading your post, is maybe its the missing link
        Certainly possible, though now that i think of it the minions seem to be closer to "commoner fae" and other beings of the Wyld basically wielded as objects/extensions than the sort of "emanations" an Unshaped's virtues (or a Primordial's 2nd & 3rd circle souls) are usually portrayed as.

Really have to re-read those spells to see what kind of weird stuff he might come up with, maybe some sort of sorcerous initiation and associated merits...

Comment

I used it as a major campaign end-boss in my campaign. Mad sorcerer with those spells did a bunch of research and tried to swallow an energy field much bigger than his head by "releasing" the imprisoned alien behemoth monster into his own soul with the hopes of embodying all of its power. I played it as a highly intelligent kaiju of slick black oil that consumes whole cities and devours individuality to turn all its victims into parts of itself (albeit with their skills/charms/etc intact). Especially once it ate a couple of exalts it became very dangerous, but mostly it avoided the PCs because it wasn't stupid and attacked the Underworld to eat a bunch of ghosts. My PCs eventually ended up imprisoning it again, since they couldn't find a way to destroy it.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
          -Roger Zelazny

Comment

And so my mind starts trying to mix image of this and this now....

Comment

Where is the spell Becoming the Eyeless Face found?

Comment

It's Invoking the Eyeless Face, and it's in The White Treatise.

(I wrote it!)

Comment

oops sorry, my mistake, was largely working off memory

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                    It's Invoking the Eyeless Face, and it's in The White Treatise.

(I wrote it!)
                    Much obliged!

Comment

Working...
                    X