X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcob
    replied
    Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
    Am I right to assume that the standard stat writeup should be "before relevant tag modifications"? If an artifact has the Balanced tag which would add +1 to Overwhelming, is it supposed to be presented as revealing the unmodified stats in the writeup and then assume that the reader adds the +1 themselves?
    Either way, they need to specify what the standard is so we don't have to guess.

Leave a comment:

• Ekorren
    replied
    Am I right to assume that the standard stat writeup should be "before relevant tag modifications"? If an artifact has the Balanced tag which would add +1 to Overwhelming, is it supposed to be presented as revealing the unmodified stats in the writeup and then assume that the reader adds the +1 themselves?

Leave a comment:

• Saipjas
    replied
    Isator Levi I would say that the very nature of being a five dot artifact weapon requires by its very nature a being of immense power. These creatures tend to have alien concepts or desires and are so vast and powerful that it’s like lashing Godzilla into a weapon (slightly hyperbolic as that is more Eva..I mean kavara). Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    I mean... the basic fiction of a sword is to puncture someone’s body until they bleed to death, so...
    ​So that doesn't have a number of translations, in the same book, that either don't feel the need to make the target suffer first or turn the wielder into a monster, let alone orient themselves towards a more edifying purpose?

​Remind me what the very first daiklaves in the book are about again.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    So, Wonders of the Lost Age. If this chapter is going to start with various medicines, I guess that it's a place for some assorted miscellany.

​On the subject of those medicines, it's an interesting little note at the start that they only appear magical rather than being truly magic. Whatever other implications, with the change in thaumaturgy I would be glad for these things to go back to just being a matter of having the right ingredients and preparing them properly. Dawnflower seems to be the new one, and it looks like it would be fairly useful even to the Exalted. Seven bounties paste and sweet cordial are standards, but I notice that the mechanics of their effects have been technically weakened a bit here. I'm okay with that myself; as they were before, I felt that they were a bit too powerful, especially for something of their origin and nature.

​Now for our list of assorted items that formed part of the wonder of the First Age. I can't remember if the audient brush ever had the automatic transcription property before, but either way I think it's a good feature to have; unlimited ink is useful, but still feels a bit short of making it worth having for a player.

​I think clockwork birds are new, and even the lesser form of them looks quite useful (I initially misread that as a limited range of 100 miles, rather than a top speed of 100mph). Very good for maintaining communications and relationships, even before getting to the one that has more ability and initiative. It's interesting that they should have a Principle such as that; it makes me wonder at stories in which a saboteur manages to get them to stray off course by appealing to it in some way.

​With the expanded capability of Lore (and its commensurate limitation), a stone containing knowledge such as that seems like a particularly valuable prize, even when it isn't solely about some kind of ancient magic. I like it. The lotus-bloom cup seems quite circumstantial, but not without use, and the Solar Seal makes me think of uses in some very political games. Thinking about it, I like the idea of it destroying the message a bit more than being unbreakable, because the former is also something that can give away how somebody unauthorised attempted to read it.

​Let's see, stoneheart coffer, I think that's another new one. Fairly straightforward; extremely durable lock-box. The ultimately useful tube was never exactly something that I could get behind, and I don't think its actual capabilities are any different here but... I don't know, something about the presentation gives me a stronger impression of the idea of it as a versatile tool that an enterprising Exalt could make use of.

​I can't say the same for the winterbreath jar, and am a little bit disappointed that it's still here. I fully acknowledge that any sense that its existence contradicts a definition for Artifacts that I came up with for myself has nothing whatsoever to do with anybody else, so that in itself is no problem, but it still strikes me as being out of place next to the rest of these items. Even the singing clockwork bird can serve as a messenger or courier, but the magical cold storage (which is the very limit of what it can do)? I don't know, maybe I should take the lack of attunement cost as an indication that this is not a thing for the Exalted.

​Anyway, what new and more powerful devices do they have on show...

​Och, Arete has an unfortunate origin story. It's a curious choice to just lay out its nature from the outset like that, but I guess for a tool other than a weapon, a bit more clarity is worthwhile. I am a bit unclear on how its first Evocation applies to different Abilities, so that might be something to clear up in a later version. Overall, I'd say it's a distinct concept for a prosthetic arm, but given the origin story and how the powers come through as Evocations, I can see how it works. It actually gives me a firmer idea for ways in which non-weapons might develop Evocations that actually maintains the concept, rather than just calling every power of an Artifact by the term.

​Hmm, artefact armour for one's riding animal, that's very new. Not much else to say about it, but it works, and opens an interesting new possibility.

​I've been wary of Artifacts that only provide enhancements to dice rolls, but between the idea of it coming in the form of doubles rather than just a few extra dice, and the minor enhancement to powers a wearer might already have, I can see a more interesting method of realising that in the Dragon Tear Tiara.

​The Golden Hounds benefit from the novelty of Artifact running shoes, but I also find their story compelling and the mechanical realisation of their concept to be effectively intricate.

​I have a particular interest in magic mirrors, so I'm always looking for something to effectively realise them. For this one, I like the idea of confronting somebody with the falsehood of a Principle particularly.

​The Jade Steed about speaks for itself, and I unfortunately still can't quite find the Resplendent Satchel of Healing to be very interesting. The Second-Shadow Drum, on the other hand, feels like a different take on a utility Artifact with Evocations: where Arete looked like a functional prosthetic that took of a theme of self-actualisation and self-reliance due to the experience of its first wielder, and the Golden Hounds were simply something with a purpose so intimate to the maker and user that it could grow into an elaborate realisation, the Drum gives me the impression of an Artifact that was built for a specific purpose, with Evocations growing from an initially unrealised implication of that purpose. The actual powers that result being appropriately sinister helps this one to stand out.

Leave a comment:

• Marcob
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Before I move on to the Wonders chapter, a stray observation:

Has anybody else noticed how the five-dot weapons in the book are all kind of evil? You've got sword that takes away memories, sword that eats people and turns them to stone, axe that eats people and turns them to sorcery, and sword to make wild, barely controlled hurricanes that tries to convince its wielder that stuff being destroyed by hurricanes is the best thing ever.

When are we going to get one that seems somewhat less malevolent, I wonder.
    Of Saberhagen's 12 Swords, the most boring one was Woundhealer. It was also the only one without a downside to it. Likewise, a 5 dot artifact without downsides is a little boring. Whether that is mechanical or it is story-based, it's still a downside.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
    I have just started reading and haven't gotten very far yet. So far so good. I want some clarification about Celestial Union of Blades though (I searched for some keywords but couldn't find if it had been addressed already, but I admit I haven't read this entire thread).

"... she adds her sword-sibling's (Anima) in non-Charm bonus dice ..."

(Anima) = How much exactly?
    Equal to the current anima level. Dim=0, Glowing=1, Burning=2, Bonfire/Iconic=3.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Anima levels I presume. Same as you'd spend for a charm.

Leave a comment:

• Ekorren
    replied
    I have just started reading and haven't gotten very far yet. So far so good. I want some clarification about Celestial Union of Blades though (I searched for some keywords but couldn't find if it had been addressed already, but I admit I haven't read this entire thread).

"... she adds her sword-sibling's (Anima) in non-Charm bonus dice ..."

(Anima) = How much exactly?

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Hark View Post
    Ahh, that dreaded Deathlord, The Count of Words, sending beloved tales to the unreality of Oblivion.
    I think they’re a Linguistics Supernal Moonshadow Abyssal.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Huskflayer was cut for wordcount, in large part because we knew it would be relatively easy to bring it back later.

Nooooooo.
    Im guessing the abyssal book is the second choice?

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    *double post*
    Last edited by Sakii; 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hark
    replied
    Ahh, that dreaded Deathlord, The Count of Words, sending beloved tales to the unreality of Oblivion.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post
    It was said that there was going to be a soulsteel scyte in Arms. Did it survive the cutting phase?
    Huskflayer was cut for wordcount, in large part because we knew it would be relatively easy to bring it back later.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    It was said that there was going to be a soulsteel scyte in Arms. Did it survive the cutting phase?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X