Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Don't forget how Immaculate Golden weapons can also be an embodiment of one's anima; if your iconic manifestation is an eagle or a lion, there's no reason that the Evocations can't be more about something symbolised by those than it is about the character's personality.

I mean, sure, one of the things that your iconic banner symbolises is your personality, I'm just saying it doesn't need to be limited to that.

Leave a comment:

• Aquillion
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Evocations that are symbolic of your character are fine, but one of the big draws of artifacts is that they allow you to expand your capabilities. IGB or GSS evocations are a pure expression of self, but the evocations you get out of a red jade daiklave are a communal expression of you, the sword, the sword's previous wielders and its creator.

No man is an island, y'know?
    I'm not sure IGB or GSS evocations necessarily have to be an expression of self. The sword itself starts as one, but it's not necessarily your entire self, so to speak; it can represent a specific aspect of yourself, with specific memories and themes contributing to it. This specificity allows you to (and to an extent requires you to) branch out with it rather than having its evocations just be Solar charms you can buy with Solar XP.

So if you're someone who cares a lot about your family and lineage, your GSS might express that and might have evocations related to it. If you really really hate injustice, your GSS might grow in that direction. In that respect it can be like any other artifact, just one whose initial theme has significant personal meaning to you.

Leave a comment:

• Aquillion
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    I’m not joking when I say that I want a Warstrider which is also a tree.

Someone used magic and sorcery to cultivate a tree into the shape of a Warstrider, and they made a Wood-aspected manse-tree to provide the Treestrider with its Hearthstone.

The Treestrider has some unique maintenance requirements that, when met, allow it to regenerate damage on its own.

If it’s ever fully destroyed, the manse-tree starts growing a massive nut or fruit in which you can find a replacement Treestrider.
    Jutei Senki has that, although it doesn't really have a plot or characters so there's not much in-depth focus on it outside of the art design.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Plus if you're not super invested in archery or melee you can get by with an artifact and get your evocations with solar exp while you save the regular sort for the stuff closer to your niche.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Plus, I'm sure there's room for merging an Immaculate Golden Bow with an artifact bow to use their Evocations together. At least sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Evocations that are symbolic of your character are fine, but one of the big draws of artifacts is that they allow you to expand your capabilities. IGB or GSS evocations are a pure expression of self, but the evocations you get out of a red jade daiklave are a communal expression of you, the sword, the sword's previous wielders and its creator.

No man is an island, y'know?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Certainly there's nothing wrong with a character who is most concerned with their own Immaculate Golden weapon, but there's a whole range of effects that probably aren't available through that, whether due to the material or the general legend of the Artifact.

If none of the Artifacts in the book grabbed you then that's fine, but I don't think it can be denied that the book provided a wide range of compelling and useful Artifacts.

Leave a comment:

• Cenrei
    replied
    Yeah, I have worked with my GM to create Evocations for my bow, symbolic of the journey my character took that resulted in his Exaltation. That's part of why I said they're narratively too powerful, they fit the character much better than any artifact they could find, since those Evocations come from the soul and experiences of the character. Only thing comparable would be a Craft character creating an artifact for themselves, a crafter also wouldn't replace his creation with a weapon he just found.

One way to establish similar narrative connection with published artifacts would be just to say that the artifact was your character's previous incarnation's weapon. But I feel that has become a cliche used too much in Exalted, so I don't like that method.

Leave a comment:

• Saipjas
    replied
    Cenrei iirc the devs said that charms such as that and saber can have evocations, they may not be at the level of artifact 5, but they can infact be on par with a 3 dot artifact. Though this does require homebrewing the evocations.

Leave a comment:

• Cenrei
    replied
    My main issue with Arms, and artifacts in general, is this. My character is using the Charm "Immaculate Golden Bow".

With this Charm, he has an artifact bow made out of his own soul and experiences, which makes that particular weapon most suited to him, and he has grown fond of it. Even if he were to come across another artifact bow, I don't think he would give up on using his own bow, no matter how cool the artifact would be.

Well, I guess my main gripe might actually be that those spontaneous artifact creation Charms are narratively too good to stop using...

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix_Kensai
    replied
    Now that I've actually had more time to read more of Arms of the Chosen, I'm glad to finally have it. I haven't read everything yet, but from what I've seen, there are a lot of interesting artfacts in here that I'd like to use in a game. And I've always tended to play characters that don't rely on equipment, so that's saying a lot.

Warstriders are pretty great, too. At a glance they seem terrifyingly powerful, but not always and entirely better than artifacts of the same rating (which are also terrifyingly powerful), depending on the situation.

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I'm not using this to comment on your own plans specifically, so much as the overall attitude as it comes up:

​It's... not exactly odd that people tend to refer to Colossus Alchemicals and possible warstriders in Autochthonia as untenable, but it does represent a point of forgetting or disregarding the point that there are supposed to be fairly large open spaces there as well. Not just the kinds of chambers that nations and towns are situated in, but much more sizable ducts and tunnels and the occasional fairly deep pit or high domed space throughout the Reaches. They're not ubiquitous, but they are frequent enough for larger beings to have room to operate in, and the premise of Autochthonia is such that it does not stretch plausibility for these points to be sufficiently accessible and interconnected that a Colossus or behemoth could get to work.

​Sure, the more human sized spaces create environments in which those subjects can't act, but it's not as if the regular warstrider doesn't have those as well, such as upon boats (or just about anything to do with the water for a warstrider that is not made to be aquatic, or the inside of any structure that you don't intend to smash apart.
    This is exactly why I think that warstriders have a home in the Autochthonian setting. However given that there a lot more places where you could get stuck in one and headroom could become an issue, I tweaked the rules such that any area that had less than 2 ranges bands horizontally and/or one range band vertically, regular warstriders would be at a disadvantage. Especially with heavy or medium melee weapons. Damn hard to swing a 20 ft sword when your head is scraping the ceiling after all. I basically assume that Autochthonian striders (and colossi) make the most of the room that's available. However, I also didn't want to make Autochthonian strider to be completely superior to their creation counterparts. Since I'm integrating the head into the torso to give extra room up top it makes sense that visual acuity would suffer.

As to the warstrider I'm currently working on it actually takes it a step further. It's evocations are centered around warping space and it essentially shrinks itself down to human sized to better go through tunnels. It's actually still full sized, it just buggers with local space.

As for Colossi, I figure that being an actual creature of that size wouldn't impose the same penalties to action in cramped spaces. Hence Colossi would be similar to creation's warstriders in form but wouldn't suffer the same penalties in Autochthonia. Thus giving them an edge in big open spaces fights.

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    Any one else think of the Ents from LoTR with this talk of tree-warstriders?

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    I've actually got a few ideas how it might work. Basically the Warstrider mode would be an evocation that cost maybe 10-15 motes and could only be activated while there was a greater hearthstone in one of the armour's slots.

Damage would manifest on the armour somehow, and have to be repaired for the usual cost and difficulties. I was thinking maybe a cape that gradually gets torn or crystals that get cracked. Possibly both.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    I admit I was being a little facicious, but it's not actually a bad idea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X