Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    I'm enjoying the detailed readings!
    I'm taking notes to do an As I Read thread later on. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Comment

I'm doing short writeups of my initial reaction to each artifact, just a couple sentences and a rating each. When I'm done I'll post them here, see what people think

Comment

I'll jump on the band wagon this weekend, although probably half of it will be praising Kavarra.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
        Many Limbed Manual
        Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
        San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
        My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

All right, let's try and knock them out more quickly!

​Sun's Brush: Grimcleaver (apparently where they landed on what an Artifact naginata is) made from an ancient god's paintbrush. Powers based on introducing facts and writing powerful words onto opponents. Ultimately results in introducing facts with such flare that they cow and terrify opponents with one's knowledge. Seems to be a weapon based on a literal reading of pens being mightier than swords.

​Tusk of Galaech-Ma: A more direct kind of hunting weapon than some of the others of moonsilver, which seems to manifest in the interesting example of a weapon more firmly based in enhancing other Charms for pursuit and relentlessness than any other. If nothing else, it certainly seems like a strong example of moonsilver as a source of insight and internal transformation.

​Asphodel: Our first four-dot Artifact. Plays around with the usual nature of soulsteel to introduce the idea of a bound soul that can be bargained with for powers somewhat separate from the weapon itself. If four-dots is around constructing a new playstyle, I would guess this one is about furnishing that relationship, especially when several Evocations serve the purpose of actually feeding the Exalt's end of the bargain. It's a good example of an Artifact that feels as though it would be at the heart of several stories. The capstone feels like a neat inversion of my own take on the ultimate power of four-dots (you don't bring something out of it, you go in yourself).

​Burning Branch: I like the novelty of this one using its legend as a basis for a unique interaction with hearthstones. I would never have considered disarming to be the central theme of an Artifact, especially one of this power (and even if it is supplemented by all of the army fighting stuff). Especially to build up to the distinct miracle of managing to break other Artifacts.

​Flying Silver Dream: Another good example of moonsilver awareness and synthesis, with an edge of the Lunar companionship. I often find difficulties in the idea of weapons that fight independently, but I'd say this one has potential. I get a kick out of the story of this Artifact representing the conclusion of a narrative started by a different one.

​Gnomon: I've already seen and commented on this one. Suffice to say, it's still neat.

​Mistweaver: I've already got my own ideas for an Artifact based on these kinds of manipulations of concealment, so I'm going to keep an eye out for any pointers that I can glean from this. In its own right, it feels strong without needing the effects to be massively elaborate, which is a welcome addition (and probable help to people a bit wary about Evocations). I'd suppose the ultimate power's enormous range is balanced somewhat against the relative harmlessness of the phenomenon.

Nightmare Shard: The first example of a four-dot focused more on attacking minds and emotions. Thus far, I'd say that moonsilver has gotten some very good showings. Its capstone is the kind of thing that inspires stories just for the sake of giving it something to oppose.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Dunno if anyone else has said this, but Kavara the Demon Tower is a motherfucking Evangelion.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
              Dunno if anyone else has said this, but Kavara the Demon Tower is a motherfucking Evangelion.
              Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Karvara is essentially the love child of Numidium and Evangelion 01.
              You are not, and it so very much is

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
              Many Limbed Manual
              Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
              San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
              My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

I sympathize with the feeling. It doesn't help that I've been following the Oathbringer previews so I've already read the first section. And I have a school project to finish.

Which makes me wonder how you would stat up a Radiant Blade and Plate.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

I immediately want to have Courante and Gaillarde (expertly named after dances), be held by enemies/rivals and see how the evocations would change.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Sekhem: Ahh finally, a flame weapon; I suppose it's fair that they'd ease into it with something made from red jade. It's an interesting choice to make this one function around the danger of overheating, as well as the notion of a fire weapon that specializes in harming fire creatures. Its capstone seems a lot more direct than appears usual, but that matches the more straightforward and brutal character of this weapon.

​Shipbreaker: I like the description of this one's structure, particularly that kraken. I've generally been wary of Artifacts based on attacking structures, but this one makes it work with the overall thesis of naval combat and sabotage.

​Sirrush: I wonder what people would make of the idea of somebody who commissioned Artifacts willy-nilly and gave them away thoughtlessly; I like it, but I suspect some people would read it as reflecting badly on Artifacts rather than the character. Ahh, so this is one way to render a flame Artifact in a jade other than red; don't focus on the flames, but an overall style of quick-shooting. Very nice.

​Strife's Crucible: Here's an interesting take on an Artifact powered by a terrible destiny (and Sidereal martial and teaching affinity). The first Evocation is a real standout to me with that idea of trying to provoke and educate the opponent. Terms of the Spear represents a nicely low key and subtle capstone.

​Sunflash: Kirigaru, he was in Shards of the Exalted Dream, wasn't he? Nice callback there. It's interesting to see a weapon with such a strong relationship with a god, providing a bit of inspiration for some of the consequences of incorporating prayers into its structure.

​Talion: It appears to be another orichalcum weapon based more on an abstraction then an elemental manifestation, this time a kind of ranty pursuit of justice, focused a bit through a kind of martial arts narrative. I find this more interesting than the Heaven and Earth Gauntlets, which is good for giving me a handle on this side of the material.

I'm starting to lose attention, so I'll just sum up the last two four-dots.

Vainglory: Huh, a weapon that is technically a crown, that's neat. I like the idea of something with a demonic origin drawing on the darker side of those orichalcum principles like this.

Zelator: I suppose it's only fitting that an orichalcum weapon should eventually come around to something with a more conventional paladin bent. Still, considering the place of sorcery in this setting, this seems like one that could have quite a bit to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
                      Not one Evangelion, but the Evangelion.

You can source most of the Evocations to specific scenes of the series. All that is missing is the pilot dissolving inside the entry plug fuselage due to excessive synchronicity.

Comment

So, I'm aware that Karvara is a copious Evangelion reference, but damn if that writeup isn't an excellent example of adapting something from an entirely different genre while maintaining the primary "feel".

That thing is like, designed to be the keystone of an entire campaign, and I just love it. The sobriquet of "Walking Devil Tower" for it is especially clever in context.

Comment

The sword-siblings look smug as fuck on p. 24.

I like all the plot hooks built into the Artifacts, like Lace of Thorns and the city of Koja. It adds something even for people who don't want to use those particular Artifacts.

At Heartsong. I'm going to start skipping through the weapon Artifacts now. The histories are fun, but I'm more curious about non-weapon Artifacts. I'll come back to them later. Also, I've got some actual work to do, so I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Points for making a shield Artifact though.

The fuck is a razor parasol? And why are all the weird-sounding weapons showing up after I decided to skim through this section?

The sidebar on the Tenerous Prince sounds fucking awesome without context. Is it equally awesome with context? I'll find out eventually.

SECOND BEST ZENITH PERFECT SOUL. (Karal Fire Orchid will always be #1.)

Shou Ren rates two sidebars? Sweet!

The armour on p. 93 is exactly my style. Gonna have to skim through the armour chapter though.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the first suit of armour is for Eclipses, which is exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in. Gonna slow down the skimming for a bit. Kinda disappointed that it's lamellar and thus incompatible with the most Eclipsy MA styles, but I guess that doesn't actually matter to the Evocations.

Forging the integrity of the Imperial Mountain into anything sounds like a bad idea. What if the mountain collapses?

The monkey is either stoned out of its mind or it's a cat stuck in a monkey's body.

Natural magics! Here's what I've been looking for. Love the really weird shit that just exists in Creation.

Sorcerous workings that make exotic ingredients don't cost any XP. That's good.

The Dragon Tear Tiara is a subtle thing, but I expect it to be a staple of occult scholars everywhere.

Random question: Are lightning ballistae and implosing bows the right size to fit inside a warstrider's head?

All these hearthstones have such fun little effects.

Yay, warstriders!

Note to self: Check how warstrider repair times line up with Charms like Craftsman Needs No Tools. I think some of them fall into a gap where they can't be meaningfully sped up, but maybe there's a repair Charm that would work and that I just don't remember off the top of my head?

There's a tanky warstrider, but is there a speedy warstrider? redcomet.png

Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation looks suspiciously like Gypsy Danger from this angle.

Does Emerald Chevalier count as a speedy warstrider? It's the wrong colour though. And I think its stats are standard.

Oh, there's Godspeed Vanguard.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

I read ahead for the Striders. The Cathedral of Sublime Annihilation made my Archery-favoring Lookshy Twilight squee and clap like a six-year-old girl who just got a pony for Christmas

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
                              Not one Evangelion, but the Evangelion.

You can source most of the Evocations to specific scenes of the series. All that is missing is the pilot dissolving inside the entry plug fuselage due to excessive synchronicity.
                              Oofta, I've only read the blurb, I really need to read the evocative.

Having a hard time focusing on any one thing, going full kid in a candy shop on this book.

Also, love the Starmetal retcon (re-retcon? De-retcon?)

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                                I'm enjoying the detailed readings!
                                You'd bloody well better, because they're a huge effort!

Ah who am I kidding, I love them too.

Comment

Working...
                                X