No announcement yet.

Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else loving the eras? It makes creation feel so much older than a number of the standard four (Pre-Exalts,First Age, Second Age, Present). Dozens of eras and none of them are just names as the weapon's stories and comments tell you so much about the different periods, especially the shogunate!

This is a marvelous read and I forsee it eating weeks as I scan it for scrap after scrap of lore

Comment

One thing I noticed is that apparently they made one deliberative, it collapsed, and later on they tried again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
        Is anyone else loving the eras? It makes creation feel so much older than a number of the standard four (Pre-Exalts,First Age, Second Age, Present). Dozens of eras and none of them are just names as the weapon's stories and comments tell you so much about the different periods, especially the shogunate!

This is a marvelous read and I forsee it eating weeks as I scan it for scrap after scrap of lore
        I do like that, and there's bits and pieces here and there. I swear, we're going to need a thread just to try to puzzle out the various eras (despite them clearly being intended to be guidelines rather than histories) because there's just enough consistency to make it a puzzle that you want to solve.

Comment

I did a quick skim plus a full read up to the Distaff, but something popped grinning like a fool whil reading Karvara (because why not) - reading its story, it seems a couple size adjustments away from being retrofitted into Juggernaut.

Comment

Originally posted by OpMegs View Post

I do like that, and there's bits and pieces here and there. I swear, we're going to need a thread just to try to puzzle out the various eras (despite them clearly being intended to be guidelines rather than histories) because there's just enough consistency to make it a puzzle that you want to solve.
            ...A warning from my experience with another fandom: don't take the puzzle too seriously.

I've been part of the Legend of Zelda community for a long time. Its probably the first fandom I was a part of.

Everyone had their own pet timeline and no one could fully agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post

Which makes me wonder how you would stat up a Radiant Blade and Plate.
              Plate is pretty much standard Superheavy Artifact Armor, possibly with a bit more penalty negation and and a minor strength bonus.

A Shardblade had a thing where it negates mundane soak and a power where any decisive attack that does damage generates a crippling wound if you pay a few motes or something. And a built in version of Call the Blade.

I'd need to actually sit down and figure out how to write it all up, but I think that covers the bases for the "standard" Plate and Blades.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by ScarecrowJ View Post
                Everyone had their own pet timeline and no one could fully agree.
                It's a secret to everybody.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Is there a section of advice about homebrew artefact construction? They'd pretty much zero TOC info on Drivethrurpg that I can see.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                  Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Yeah, just a page or two. They give you maximum number of evocations for a given dot level plus what those evocations should do.

Comment

Okay, four five-dot Artifacts, of which one I've already seen and commented upon in detail. Let's see what I can find to say about them.

​The Forgotten Blade: My initial take on its "???" material made me think this would be an example of an inexplicable mystery extended to a substance of unknowable property, but reading more into it, it appears to 'just' be a reference to the idea that its material is not recorded (which does not preclude the idea of being something unique and unknowable). Still, I'd say that every good Exalted book needs at least one inexplicable mystery. Loss of memory is a subject that I've viewed as distinctly terrifying ever since it was a major plot point in Dave Brookshaw's Broken Diamond chronicle, so this daiklave strikes me as having a lot of potential as a thing of world-bending might, and I'm particularly glad for it to be more focused and subtle than the expected destructive effects. I've often thought of Evocations in terms of having a single, straightforward power (like an energy blade emitted by a slash) and the actual cascade consists of various setups and elaborations for that, but this one represents an interesting alternative model in which it has a central, immediate power of a more sorcerous bent, and then the rest consist of various applications to actual sword combat. I always have a big concern for powers of a weapon not detracting from it actually being used as a weapon. To top it off, it has another example of that wonderfully horrifying "make everybody forget somebody after killing them" effect.

​Gorgon: Apart from being a horrible petrifying beastie trapped in a weapon (whose power needs to be roused by waking it up with blood), it's interesting to have the idea of something reworked from the Time Before; gives a new spin on those descriptions at the start of the first chapter. Although I'm all for evil powers rendering people trapped for eternity, I am a bit glad that souls bound in stone bodies can be released by breaking them. I admit, I had been wondering since the opening fiction how turning people to stone might work, as it seems to have nowhere to go, so a combination of metaphorical petrification through fear effects and then the woken devil pulling the wielder around to improve their killing seems like a good way to go.... in addition to gradual petrification. It's less original than the Forgotten Blade, but still a strong and novel take on this kind of enormous power.

​Soulfarer: Seems about your standard blood and soul-eating black metal weapon, at first glance. Still, that probably needs to have been something that came up at some point. The associations with sorcery are interesting. Pain-Eating Empowerment is really leaning on the Stormbringer references, eh? It probably has the least overtly powerful capstone, although I imagine that with the right spells, being able to pull in those kinds of motes can be rather devastating.

​So, with Stormcaller already having been covered, that's all of the weapons done. Let's have a look at that armour.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                        Is there a section of advice about homebrew artefact construction? They'd pretty much zero TOC info on Drivethrurpg that I can see.
                        Yes both in design notes, thematics, and scales for various levels of artifacts!

Comment

Gotta say, the similarities between Heartsbalm and All-Conquering Colossus make the former look pretty lame. I can imagine Mirshaan and Oak Ring Prince hanging out at a party or something. "Oh, your husband made you a 3-dot suit of armour after you almost died? That's cute. My wife made me a terrifying orichalcum behemoth that can tear a tyrant lizard asunder and almost killed me with it. For our first date."

Infernals - To Rule in Hell
                          Simple Solar > Abyssal conversion rules
                          3e Dragon Kings
                          My martial arts

Comment

Does anyone know the Artifact rating equivalent for Glorious Solar Saber and other equivalent Charms?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanaya View Post
                              Gotta say, the similarities between Heartsbalm and All-Conquering Colossus make the former look pretty lame. I can imagine Mirshaan and Oak Ring Prince hanging out at a party or something. "Oh, your husband made you a 3-dot suit of armour after you almost died? That's cute. My wife made me a terrifying orichalcum behemoth that can tear a tyrant lizard asunder and almost killed me with it. For our first date."
                              God, I love First Age Solars.

Comment

The Hawk Star's Jess is the best possible version of David's sling.

Also, (Doom)

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                                X