X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elfive
    replied
    Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
    This doesn't really hold water considering that the Solars definitely used Adamant in a lot of artifacts. The Royal Warstrider Ascendant Nova Phoenix has a spherical fuselage made of the stuff.

For some reason it's useful for crafting artifacts but it just isn't in the same class as the other MM... Not sure why they went this direction considering that makes alchemicals weird but... *shrug*
    That's pretty simple. it's in the "other weird crap that nobody but solars can resonate with" box. The bigger question is why soulsteel isn't, but that might be because of ghosts using it or maybe because as a metal it's easier to work with. That may have also been why Orichalcum got in, but the Dragon Kings' affinity for it could be another reason there.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
    For some reason it's useful for crafting artifacts but it just isn't in the same class as the other MM...
    In-character, soulsteel only really seems to be considered the same class as the other magical materials because it's associated with the Abyssal Exalted.

​I know it says that the magical materials are defined by their particular affinity for enchantment and capacity to bring out Evocations (which are still primarily a matter of the Exalted), but that connection seems to be what makes them; they each resonate with one of them, and the Solars have a stronger alignment with orichalcum even though they can resonate with everything.

​It would be a bit out of place to have adamant in there with no particular affinity for any of the existing Exalted but still in the same class as your orichalcum and moonsilver rather than Malfean iron or behemoth ivory. Especially if only to foreshadow the Alchemical Exalted.

​One could consider adamant to be regarded by the Autochthonians as a magical material on the same level as the other five because the Maker's brain is made out of it. After all, that's where the actual Adamant Caste Exalted tend to be made; within the Pole of Crystal, often within cities that are themselves elder Adamant Castes.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I mean, if it's something simple like a bandage or cloth, I presume that you can just reach a spindle or your hand into the tangled thread, and pull a length of fabric out. For other things, I would presume that you actually require tools as surely as you do for any other crafting project, barring the use of Charms. Crafting and medicine actions both point out that they just assume such things are present and used for people applying those Abilities as a matter of course.

​A full loom is probably not often convenient, but a shuttle or needles might do the trick, particularly if a minor stunt is applied.

​After all, how does the shape of gloves fit more to the idea than a length of metal wrapped in thread? People don't weave and sew cloth with their bare hands.

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Adamant caste are secret. So it might be that it is a MM but nobody knows.
    This doesn't really hold water considering that the Solars definitely used Adamant in a lot of artifacts. The Royal Warstrider Ascendant Nova Phoenix has a spherical fuselage made of the stuff.

For some reason it's useful for crafting artifacts but it just isn't in the same class as the other MM... Not sure why they went this direction considering that makes alchemicals weird but... *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    I mean a net that doesn’t exist until you reflexively make one right before throwing it at someone. Like Spider-Man and his webshooters.

In fact, based on Distaff, I want to see Evcoations for the Bracers is Universal Crafting. Or a version of those that produces silk. Because I love how Distaff’s Evocations work with medicine and crafting, even if its shape just doesn’t work.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 11-28-2017, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Yeah, things like nets are just going to be regular crafting projects.

I kind of see what you mean about the shape though. I was looking at pictures of distaffs, but since there's no pedals or whatever, I'm not quite sure how to imagine a PC actually making stuff from it.

It's a great artefact though. I like seeing these weird and wacky weapons that do things outside combat. One of the most interesting ones, conceptually, in the book.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    its shape doesn't really make sense for it, like a pair of silk-weaving gloves might.
    I don't know; if one imagines it as an oversized version of an actual distaff (in a similar manner to ideas before about a rapier that could act as an acupuncture needle).

​True, distaffs are about spinning thread rather than weaving it, but still.

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold
    Seems like there's some excluded ground on simple things you could make from silk, like instantaneous nets or ropes or bridges or walls or trampolines.
    ​I'd say those kinds of things are already covered under the stated capacity to craft items from silk. If one wishes more specialized Evocations for them, I don't think it would be too hard to custom develop them. Words devoted to giving the Distaff more Evocations are words that need to be taken away elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Come to think of it, I'd be cool with 1 dot Artifacts being introduced as a distinctly Autochthonian phenomenon, produced by the union of Municipal Craft Charms and mortal labor.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    The problem with "Magitech" as a word is it implies it's something distinct from normal magic or normal tech. And I don't think that's the case in Autochthonia. Even mortal industrial tech is often supported by Municipal Charms. Magic and technology are completely the same thing in Autochthonia, so there wouldn't be a distinct term for its mingling. At least not until people from Creation perhaps coined one to describe it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    As one of the resident Alchemical fans, I'm going to say something odd. I think that Alchemicals might be universally Dissonant with artifacts and I think I'd be ok with it.

To explain. Creation is a world where when you forge something, it has a soul. It is viewed as not just a sword, but as a unique product of craft, a one of a kind item. Something you can bond to and develop a relationship with. The Evocation system grows out of that.

In Autochthonia, everything the mass produced, interchangeable, and issued to you by the government. Getting a set of personal tools you don't have to share is a nice perk, but if you break them, no big, you'll be issued another set, because individuals aren't important. Alchemical charms don't have souls, they're machines made to interface with and channel the power of an a Alchemical's soul.

Artifacts coming from that culture would be fundamentally different and possibly be worth bringing back the term Magitech, since I think they'd probably be pretty similar to what came out of WotLA. Magical machines designed to do some extra cool things up front, but with underdeveloped souls that can't release extra powers later. Basically more like Interchangeable Charms that you could swap between two Alchemicals, instead of what Creation born think of as Artifacts.
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-28-2017, 03:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ScarecrowJ
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    One thing they made pretty clear in Arms is that the Five Magical Materials is a social classification, not a fundamental law of nature. Basically, the original Exalted Host found that, by using these four materials, they could produce artifacts that granted increased power to one or more of the types of Exalted. Thus, they named them the Magical Materials, and, as they were fairly plentiful, used them in practically everything.

Adding Adamant to that classification wouldn't make much sense unless Exigents were universally resonant to it or something similar. Honestly, I think the only reason Soulsteel made it on the list is that ghosts have been using it for thousands of years and it was useful for Necromancy, which made it prominent enough before Abyssals showed up.
    Making Magical Materials a culturalism is interesting. It would be neat to see how Autochthonia holds or doesn't hold that tidbit. Is it the five magical materials to them? Or is it the Six Greatest Gifts? Or something else entirely?

Who knows!

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    So, my opinions on moonsilver stuff.

The expanded explanation of moonsilver's potentials is pretty cool. In particular, I like the details on what kinds of sorcery it could improve, especially as it means I was right about moonsilver being good for transmuting physical things into other physical things.

Galliard is okay. It doesn't really grab me, but it makes perfect sense as half of a pair of "sword-brother" swords. I'm also a fan of character-fusion supermodes... it's just, I'm not so much interested in achieving it through swords.

The Distaff is... weird. Sort of halfhearted. It doesn't really capitalize on "web-weaving" because its shape doesn't really make sense for it, like a pair of silk-weaving gloves might. The silk stuff is just a diversion from eventually hatching a completely different kind of sword, which isn't written up because it could be anything. The silk poppets are also a really weird jump from "weave silk for things silk is useful for" to "weave autonomous servants out of silk". Seems like there's some excluded ground on simple things you could make from silk, like instantaneous nets or ropes or bridges or walls or trampolines.

Frost-Thorn Knuckles are... Well, it's good at what it does, and what it does isn't pretty. That said, if you told me they were blue jade, I wouldn't have doubted you. This seems a little too literal a manifestation of minor lunar associations with cold. Very elemental. If we had any printed Lunar Charms, and this had any Evocations to upgrade such, this might have been salvaged as a "moonsilver" weapon in my eyes. I know it's more "hunting/predation" focused than blue jade normally would be, but I still can't believe no blue jade is at least included.

The Tusk of Gallaech-Ma is cool. Very Monster Hunter. Very much the sort of thing I was looking forward to Lunar Exalted being able to craft for themselves.

Flying Silver Dream is back, and better than ever. A very practical weapon for a Lunar who wants to benefit from an Artifact weapon while making full use of combat animal forms.

Nightmare Shard is a useful assassin's weapon, capable of infecting others with madness with ambush attacks, retreating to let the sickness incubate, and then spying on the target to see how vulnerable they have become, then repeating the process until you're ready to murder them. Given this sort of cruelty, and the unpleasant experience of studying the weapon, it's no wonder its masters hate it.

Unison is neat. Glad to get a sample of shapeshifting, merge-with-the-user armor. Also, it's practically right out of the Crysis games.

I think the Walking Devil Tower is perfect for being the only moonsilver Warstrider in the book, and also a great use of moonsilver for making a Warstrider. It's also gratifying that its one of the only two Royal Warstriders in the book, and I like how its origin story merits that kind of honor. The Walking Devil Tower and Karvara are very cool and impressive.

Overall very happy with the number and variety of moonsilver Artifacts in the book.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 11-28-2017, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    One thing they made pretty clear in Arms is that the Five Magical Materials is a social classification, not a fundamental law of nature. Basically, the original Exalted Host found that, by using these four materials, they could produce artifacts that granted increased power to one or more of the types of Exalted. Thus, they named them the Magical Materials, and, as they were fairly plentiful, used them in practically everything.

Adding Adamant to that classification wouldn't make much sense unless Exigents were universally resonant to it or something similar. Honestly, I think the only reason Soulsteel made it on the list is that ghosts have been using it for thousands of years and it was useful for Necromancy, which made it prominent enough before Abyssals showed up.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Adamant caste are secret. So it might be that it is a MM but nobody knows.

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    Originally posted by Hark View Post
    If any exalt should be a master of artifacts to equal Solars I feel it would be Alchemicals. At the very least I would have them Resonant with the material matching their caste and have charms that give them resonance with the other materials.

Alchemicals does bring up an interesting point. I'm really surprised that Adamant wasn't added as one of the core Magic Materials in 3e, even come up in discussion In Arms.
    I actually specifically asked if adamant was considered a Magical material in Autochthonia in 3E and while the Devs did confirm that adamant caste was still a thing, they dodged the question on whether it was a MM in Autochthonia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X