X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostarion
    started a topic Arms of the Chosen

Arms of the Chosen

You can now find and download the PDF at Drivethrurpg. Happy reading.

Does anyone know who the character is on the front cover? Is she new or am I just forgeting things?

And of course the list of inspiring media does not disappoint. Fate/Zero and Escaflowne are certainly what I think of when it comes to panolpy and Warstriders in Exalted.
    Last edited by Ostarion; 11-15-2017, 06:01 AM.

• VX3
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with it!
    Very happy! In all the abundance of details I provided with the character, I couldn't have asked for a better context in which to depict her.

The Chosen of Silence attends to those who seek silence, and those who remained in silence for far too long. So it was only a matter of time before she made her way into AoC's cover.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by VX3 View Post

Silence is not empty or immaterial, and it is not needed to chain tame things. It often guards powers strong enough to shatter everything.
    - Emmi Itäranta, Memory of Water

That would be the Chosen of Silence, Exigent resident at my heart - if I may be allowed to be some 5 months and 24 pages late.

I'm looking at the cover. Hearing the quote that inspired the character. And thinking there could be no better fit than this.
    Arms of the Chosen (of Silence)..
    I'm glad you're happy with it!

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by VX3 View Post

Silence is not empty or immaterial, and it is not needed to chain tame things. It often guards powers strong enough to shatter everything.

That would be the Chosen of Silence, Exigent resident at my heart - if I may be allowed to be some 5 months and 24 pages late.

I'm looking at the cover. Hearing the quote that inspired the character. And thinking there could be no better fit than this.

Huh, I had no idea. Where'd you get that from?

Leave a comment:

• VX3
    replied
    Originally posted by Ostarion View Post
    Does anyone know who the character is on the front cover? Is she new or am I just forgeting things?

Last edited by VX3; 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
    It is definitely not the interest of Exalted 3e by default to have minion warstriders.

If you want to put them in, I’d just make them without evocations. It’s... kind of bland, but hey, if you want minion striders, that’s kind of the result of that.
    Could not some warstrider version of Distaff's "silk puppets" evocation solve that?

Leave a comment:

• Saipjas
    replied
    I keep wondering how many people keep missing the KEY part on evocation design on page 19
    Charm Enhancements: These Evocations upgrade one or more of the wielder’s Charms in a way that fits the themes of the artifact. Note that any Evocations that require, e.g., a Solar Charm Enhancement will only be accessible to Solars, which can be used to gate off effects that would be disruptively overpowered in the hands of weaker wielders.
    And then don't apply it to literally all the Evocation Lines in the book. Literally all of them are designed to be used as templates for home brewing up artifacts, with the added benefit of being off the shelf ready for solar players*. I would literally not take any of the artifacts in question as gospel for each splat but as Aquillion says, to provide interchange ability between splats.

*I am being semi-hyperbolic for dramatic effect

Leave a comment:

• Aquillion
    replied
    Originally posted by Edward Eldritch View Post
    Overall I'm very happy with the book, though I do wonder how the artifacts will hold up once more exalts have been released.
    Has anything been said about how that'll be handled?
    The artifacts in Arms clearly all have the "this is what a Solar might get if wielding the weapon" charm trees - this is most noticeable with Strife's Crucible, an artifact that was made by a particular Sidereal and which has never been wielded by anyone else, yet has an evocation that does nothing but upgrade Majestic Radiant Presence, a Solar charm. (Although, noticeably, that evocation is just sort of branching off the main tree and isn't a prerequisite to anything else, so it's pretty easy to take it out, move it around, or replace it with an upgrade to whatever other charm you decide is relevant if you want.)

The book specifically says that some evocations are deliberately gated off by Solar charms to block access for power-level reasons (this is most obvious with Stormcaller, which has HTT as a prerequisite right before going into an evocation that directly replicates one of the most iconic Solar Circle Sorcery spells), but it's also clear that some of them are meant to have substituted versions for other Exalts with similar charms (eg. the Arms evocation tree for Unison, an artifact made by a Lunar and obviously designed with Lunars in mind, specifically seems to upgrade all the Solar charms that Lunars are likely to have parallels to.)

Of course, another possibility is that Exalts will share some charms - that is, Lunars might have Increasing Strength Exercise itself or whatever. There have always been a few charms like that, but evocations make it actually meaningful, since you could eg. give all Exalts that are supposed to have access to a particular thematic one specific charm, then use it as a prerequisite in evocation trees so it works for all of them with no tinkering. Or some charms could specifically say that they can be used as another charm for the purpose of Evocation prerequisites, although if it's not exactly identical this could cause problems with upgrade evocations, which seem to be very common.

I suspect that each splat's own book will have a lot of artifacts that work with that splat's charms, but that artifacts elsewhere will generally reference Solar ones for two reasons:

1. Everyone has the corebook, but also,

2. Solar charms tend to be simple and are most "generic", which means they're the ones shared between the most other Exalts, thematically (and also, going by previous editions, literally.) It's usually a lot easier to substitute a Lunar charm for a Solar charm than it is to substitute a Lunar charm for a Sidereal charm, say.

(Also, noticeable that the charms used as prerequisites in Arms tend to be the most generic and straightforward Solar ones - the ones that other Exalted are likely to have versions of, and the ones it's easiest to identify parallels for. You see lots of upgrades for eg. HTT, no upgrades for God King's Shrike. Granted, those simple ones tend to be base charms many people will have - an artifact that upgrades the persona charms would be a bit wasted on most people, though it'd clearly be a cool thing to have.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 12-12-2017, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ren9077
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenrei View Post
    Yeah, I have worked with my GM to create Evocations for my bow, symbolic of the journey my character took that resulted in his Exaltation. That's part of why I said they're narratively too powerful, they fit the character much better than any artifact they could find, since those Evocations come from the soul and experiences of the character. Only thing comparable would be a Craft character creating an artifact for themselves, a crafter also wouldn't replace his creation with a weapon he just found.

One way to establish similar narrative connection with published artifacts would be just to say that the artifact was your character's previous incarnation's weapon. But I feel that has become a cliche used too much in Exalted, so I don't like that method.
    The solution I intend to use: if a character has GSS or IGB as well as an Artifact weapon, and would like to address the redundancy, I would permit as a Storyteller,or ask for as a player, that the two become one over time, and the Artifact is now the weapon within the character's soul. Mechanically, you treat it like Summoning the Loyal Steel, but I see a few more effects.

1) One free Evocation from the new Artifact. You spent XP on a Charm to address your lack of an Artifact, but now you have one. An Evocation is roughly equivalent.
    2) Either let the existing Evocations from the Charm weapon carry over, or trade them for the new weapon's Evocations with training time, player's choice preferably. One per downtime, though - can't take a year off and go from capstone to capstone. That would be boring. Got to grow into the new powers.
    3) Sweet Evocations with GSS or IGB as a prereq.
    4) I see this as a deeper bond than usual, so let the weapon's nature start altering the character's anima in a way reflective of the weapon as more Evocations are bought. I do this anyway, but I would accelerate it a little in this instance.

Same principles would work for GSP and armor.

Just my ideas, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Synapse View Post
    There's no need to scale orichalcum up for them.
    Is that how you see it?

Leave a comment:

• Synapse
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    That said, it would seem easier for Solars to find ways to enhance orichalcum Evocations with their native Charms, which is all the incentive they need to favor orichalcum even when they're equally Resonant with all Artifacts.

Compatibility goes beyond mere Resonance.
    I'm fine with solars being the sole masters of orichalcum, by dint of being masters of all evocations.
    There's no need to scale orichalcum up for them.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    That said, it would seem easier for Solars to find ways to enhance orichalcum Evocations with their native Charms, which is all the incentive they need to favor orichalcum even when they're equally Resonant with all Artifacts.

Compatibility goes beyond mere Resonance.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    The various splat books should have their own sections of Artifacts with native Evocations and such things in them. Other than that, not really. That said, I imagine that if/when they do another Artifact book, that book will have more widely spread native evocations in it.
    Arms also gives a lot of leeway on things like customizing and the devs have ven more or less said it's pretty easy for things that require Solar Charms to just swa-in the other Exalt equivilant. I imagine often things an Evocation that requires All-Encompassing Sorcerer's sight might require Pulse of the Invisible for a Lunar or Telltale Symphony for a Sidereal.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    The various splat books should have their own sections of Artifacts with native Evocations and such things in them. Other than that, not really. That said, I imagine that if/when they do another Artifact book, that book will have more widely spread native evocations in it.

Leave a comment:

• Edward Eldritch
    replied
    I've finally read through the book and simply wanted to say that I really loved the weapons, found the armors kind of hit and miss (style, not rules) and really liked the warstriders. The Hearthstones are a lot better than the core ones, but still mostly not worth their point cost to me. The general artifacts also are certainly an improvement.
    Overall I'm very happy with the book, though I do wonder how the artifacts will hold up once more exalts have been released.
    Has anything been said about how that'll be handled?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X