Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrilliantRain reads Arms of the Chosen

Notes made as I read Arms of the Chosen

Just from looking at the table of contents I can tell I'm gonna love this book.

Craft errata? Oh yeah those solar charms.

Ultimately Useful Tube? Yesssss! Now to devise Evocations for it.

Hmmm.... when adding Evocations to an existing artifact, does that necessarily increase the artifact's rating? Hmmm... probably depends on the power of the Evocations.

The Warstriders sound awesome and dangerous.

Introduction

Like the take on First Age scholarship. Dividing up into long eras like that without being overly specific seems like a good way to go.

Wong Bongerok gets no respect.

The resources look good. I really wish the Teen Witchblade series had kept going.

You really needed to add Flame of Recca and/or MAR into the manga section, because those series are basically All Artifacts, All the Time.

~Es-CA-fl-OH-ne~

...I really hope one or more Warstriders comes with a power that plays its own theme music. Bonus points if it can destroy armies via power cords or ominous latin chanting.

First chapter fiction

Sayn! Hey dude! Long time no see!

Oh! Hey Jalith!

Dire squirrel spirits. PLEASE tell me these will be in Hundred Devils Night Parade.

See Jalith, THIS is why you don't perform the Hundred Razor Circle while in a tree the size of a skyscraper.

Is Yokuka in the book? Looks like no. Ah well.

Chapter one

I'm loving the additions to the setting's history here. Each one a plot hook.

I would know more of Thau Irim, The City in the Ruby.

Loving the history. Though some notes about Exigents or other exalted that might have been active at various points might have been nice.

Loving the book names. Thousand Blades Registry or Treatise on Wonders should be the title if you ever do another book of artifacts.

Anyone else wanna try on the Black Rose Panoply? Anyone? Anyone? Buler?

The Yspra sound cool.

Hey! It's the Eye! Awesome. One wonders if the Alchemical Exalted would do any better if one of them attempted to operate it. Possibly they'd just have sense enough not to do so. Or they'd start worshipping it. Or take it home and try to install it somewhere.

Ok now we're getting into details on the Magical Materials.

I don't suppose you could turn up the saturation or something on the pictures? I'll grant that it might be my screen, but they look a bit dark to me so far. That said, they do look nice otherwise.

Anyway. Hmmm... I thought these would be longer and more detailed than the info in the Core book.

Ok, I suppose they are more detailed, which I guess means they don't need to be longer.

Nice to know that Starmetal isn't soylent gods anymore.

Nothing really surprising here, which is good. Explanations feel solid.

Good notes on Evocations and who is resonant and dissonant.

I like the rubric for what each level of artifact should be able to accomplish with Evocations. I would have liked further design notes, but with the rest of the book containing worked examples, I think I can manage.

Though, I am curious. Are level N/A artifacts all on the bigger end, like Warstriders and flying ships, or can you have ones that are, say, thin gold rings?

Ok, we DO get more design notes. Very helpful! Thank you!

The corebook artifacts, those would all have Core Evocations, yes?

Because the artifacts in the core came out before resonant and dissonant, rather than asking for errata, I'll just ask if there are any artifacts in the core that you wouldn't want to give to DBs with their full power Evocations? If so, which ones?

And the errata looks good.

Placeholder

Subscribed. Or, not subscribed, but gonna check it whenever you post.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      Ditto!10char

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Hang on, there's errata in the book? Are these available seriously somewhere else? Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
          Hang on, there's errata in the book? Are these available seriously somewhere else? Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?
          It's to the Craft Charms that referred to the outdated Emerald/Sapphire/Adamant Evocation system. Since they were completely nonfunctional, I wanted to fix 'em up.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

This book has errata for those two artifact-relevant Charms in the corebook that were based on a previous edition of the Evocation rules, to bring them in line with the evocation rules in this book.

I'm not sure it would be particularly useful for anyone who doesn't have this book, so.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
              This book has errata for those two artifact-relevant Charms in the corebook that were based on a previous edition of the Evocation rules, to bring them in line with the evocation rules in this book.

I'm not sure it would be particularly useful for anyone who doesn't have this book, so.
              I can understand wanting to fix those charms, but your wording here implies that Arms changes the rules on Evocations from what's presented in the Ex3 core? Sorry if I'm finding meaning where there isn't any to be had, and I will now stop derailing BrilliantRain's thread.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
              Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

I can understand wanting to fix those charms, but your wording here implies that Arms changes the rules on Evocations from what's presented in the Ex3 core? Sorry if I'm finding meaning where there isn't any to be had, and I will now stop derailing BrilliantRain's thread.
                Okay, before the corebook release, there was a tentative tiering system where Artifacts had three tiers of Evocations. Emerald, Sapphire, and Adamant, like with Sorcery.

This tiering system was scrapped, but there were a couple Craft charms in the core that built on the assumption that the tiers were still there. Arms erratas those Charms to bring them in line with how Evocations are presented in Arms.

Edit: And the Evocations in Arms is fairly similar to how they are in the Core, save the addition of the Resonant and Dissonant keywords

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  Incidentally, any specific questions I might make in this thread will be cross posted to the Ask the Devs thread if I want answers instead of just considering the questions. So, no worries about wading through things.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                    Is Yokuka in the book? Looks like no. Ah well.
                    I don't know if Eric and Vance have plans for that boomerang, but I'd enjoy writing up its return in the form of Evocations if the opportunity arises. Just throwing that idea out there.

Comment

I've been busy lately, but here's the start of Chapter 2

Opening fiction

...Welp.

Gorgon sounds awesomely scary and I feel so sorry for Shards of Basalt. Though, I thought she worked for the Silver Prince?

...Admittedly, I also feel scared OF her. But.

Ok, just going straight into the artifacts then.

Oh, question. Generally speaking, should pretty much any Exalted craftsman be able to produce a level 3 artifact in a reasonable amount of time with a moderate investment in Craft, but the higher ranks are harder depending on Exaltation type and how deep you delve into your Craft tree? Or are level threes supposed to be really hard for non-solars to build too?

Of the Exalted we know about, how would you rank them for artifact crafting skill? From Solars (who are presumably the best at this) on down? Does it tend to matter if they're working their own favored material or not?

Courante and Galliard: Sidereal crafters are cool.

The Nine Foxfires again. I'd like to know more about them.

Ok, is there a list anywhere of the order of the eras or are they supposed to be confusing in their order?

...Is that Riker and Sulu fighting together? Oh My.

Fusion Dance!

Ok, no, seriously, I like these. I wish there had been more room to get the full love story, but I like the weapons.

The Distaff:

...ok, what IS a distaff anyway?

Ah. It's a spindle. Ok, I learned something new.

Very interesting story. I wonder how "true" it is. I like it. And I think I'll like it's Evocations.

The base power, Silkworm's Nostrum, and Tinker's Cobweb kinda make me want to revisit my solar tailor concept. I'm definitely liking this one.

Can I use Wrapped Fly Atemi to totally immobilize someone and effectively get indefinite control of the grapple? Or do they still break free after the appropriate number of rounds, just with the flaw they need to deal with?

I love Poppet Knitting Practice. ...Oh man, the Silken Army! I think this might be perfect for one of my players. I also might steal some of this for other artifacts.

Quicksilver Rebirth is kinda neat too, but I really like the silk powers. That said, I'll give props for building a unique weapon with them, instead of just making a standard anime string user weapon.

Fist of Titans

...I feel like the weapon sounds a bit silly looking from its description. I'm reasonably sure anyone who made that observation out loud would be a greasy spot on the ground in short order.

Exigent artificer! Cool.

Don't use indoors. Got it.

Chambered Fist Charge - ok, so up to (essence) charges plus one per hearthstone means you can get maximum of 8 charges at once for +8 withering damage.

I do like these Charge type mechanics. An effect that let you convert levels of anima to and from charges, halos, off hand charge, etc. would be so broken. Seriously, just broken as all hell.

Also, charges makes me think of Nanoha and Raising Heart. I kinda wanna create a powerful artifact that can fire huge beams of energy but can't actually kill anyone now. Like, it can do bashing damage, but refuses to let it roll over into lethal.

Anyway, back to Fist of Titans.

Ok, all about the Smashing. Nice! I could see myself building a character around this.

I wonder if a charm which let you apply your Solar Supernal Excellence to Evocations would be horribly broken or not.

So, if you're dissonant with Jade, Bone Crushing Strike just... what, whacks their funny bone?

Also, if the penalty only lasts for the rest of the scene, how would long term medical treatment even apply? The penalty is gone but I'm still expected to wear a cast for a month anyway?

What's the range on Crater Gouging Blow? Can I just hit anyone who fell over?

It's very fun. Use MSQ to pop a chunk of rock up and then CGB to swing for the fences.

Colossal Whirling Strike somehow makes me think of Harly Quinn spinning around and around with that giant mallet she uses.

And I just know someone is going to say "Jane! How do you stop this crazy thing!"

I like how there are Evocations that enhance solar charms, but they're set up as offshoots of the main tree, so they don't get in the way AND show us what another splat might get from using this thing.

And now I'm imagining two Exalts with similar weapons playing "ping-pong" with a demon or Fae or something. Smash them over to you, smash them back... I bet that was a sport during the First Age.

Titanic Fist Devastation is pretty awesome.

Very unsubtle weapon, but very very fun too. Will likely give it to a DB at some point.

Oh, hey! I only just noticed that the person using the Frost Thorn Knuckles was a Liminal. ...Ok, I /guess/ she could be a heavily scarred Lunar or Abyssal, but
                      I would expect anyone else to have died from being cut apart that way.

So, Frost-Thorn Knuckles. I'm just gonna say that, based on the MM and other materials used in its construction, I have no idea where the ice comes from. I'd have expected them to be blue jade or to have bone spikes or sprout killing ivory teeth.

That said I can kinda see a tenuous link between Moonsilver and ice and I'm actually kinda glad that we've got an artifact in here that's really on the very periphery of the associations of the material. Just to show that you don't /have/ to go overboard by piling all the associations on during the making of the artifact.

It's also nice to know that some Exalted hungry ghosts can be sane enough to bargain with. That said, anyone in my current game who reads this, don't expect the ghosts you find to just hand over their artifacts. Not even if Ripple turns on the charm.

If I were Jal, I'd change my form and try to get hired as one of Lace's bodyguards.

Wait. You can SHOOT the claws off!?! AWESOME!

Does the soak bonus and wound penalty negation from Rimebound Predator Endurance only apply against cold or does it work on everything?

Interesting. You CAN use Glacial Beast Claw to set up Blood-Freezing Strike, but, because they're both decisive, that's not really an optimal move. And, if you do use GBC on someone then do a Withering attack or two, there's no guarantee that they'll still be prone when you turn to fight them.

I'm going to need to reread Tiger Style and see how well it synergizes with these claws. I'm seeing some similar things here to the style.

Ah, ok. You can use GBC to set up for Blizzard Claw Swipe nicely and then follow it with BFS if they're still prone.

Scary artifact. Could be fun though.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                        Generally speaking, should pretty much any Exalted craftsman be able to produce a level 3 artifact in a reasonable amount of time with a moderate investment in Craft, but the higher ranks are harder depending on Exaltation type and how deep you delve into your Craft tree? Or are level threes supposed to be really hard for non-solars to build too?
                        My understanding is that it takes a serious investment of time and resources for non-Solars to produce Evocation-worthy artifacts.

Comment

I think the real "solar only" stuff is first age artifice. Regular artifacts should still be within the reach of most exalts. Making a three dot daiklave is impressive, sure, but not massively so, even for a dragonblooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            I think the real "solar only" stuff is first age artifice. Regular artifacts should still be within the reach of most exalts. Making a three dot daiklave is impressive, sure, but not massively so, even for a dragonblooded.
                            We got 1 warstrider that's made by Dragonblooded, and 1 of the N/A's is a Lunar product (And the other is by my reading a Solar, a Sidereal, and a Lunar). So I'd say Solars are most common, but not nearly only.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I wasn't meaning to suggest that reaching the heights of artificing was impossible for other exalts just... Well a properly built Solar could easily build a level 3 artifact right out of chargen and could get to where they can roll enough successes to build a level 5 artifact out of chargen too. Even if you're not Craft primary, if you invest in it at all, you'll probably have enough craft points and charms to build a level 3 artifact no problem by the time you hit Essence 3.

I was trying to assess the relative comptencies of the other Exalts as compared to that. And find out where artifact building becomes "difficult." Looking back over my analysis of the artifact crafting rules, you need roughly 18 dice per roll for Art 2, 25 per roll for Art 3, 33 per roll for Art 4, and 42 per roll for Art 5. So, generally speaking, anyone who is invested in Craft should probably have high enough stats to be able to build an Artifact 2 with just their dice adder. Artifact 3 is where you start actually needing more charms. And I was curious as to whether that was supposed to be a fairly easy hurdle to jump over for most exalts, requiring, say, five charms or less, or if it was supposed to take a serious investment in craft to even hit Artifact 3?

Placeholder

Comment

Working...
                              X