BrilliantRain reads Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Frost-Thorn knuckles I could see having a janky kind of thing where only air aspects resonate fully.
    Whereas I could see it having an Evocation that lets Dragon-Blooded treat Excellency-enhanced slashing attacks with it count as Air-aspected as the Throwing attacks, helping them get into the Air Aura state, which allows them to draw out more of the Knuckle’s power.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Aspect exclusives sounds weird. Quincunx's already kinda way out there with its twilight bonus for my tastes. And Dragon-bloods do have access to the elements of their brothers...

So far resonance exceptions have been inclusive rather than excluding, and I feel it'll be healthier that way. Consider, for example, solars resonate with every material because as far as myth goes humans have the "tools" shtick. Odds are alchemicals will go the same route.

Gating evocations behind charms is probably the better approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
        as far as myth goes humans have the "tools" shtick.
        I think as far as Solars go, it's more about the comprehensive mastery of they themselves.

Originally posted by Synapse[/quote
        Odds are alchemicals will go the same route.
        ​It may be that the current developers have a different idea, but the previous team expressed the thought that Alchemicals wouldn't be notably good with Evocations, and a strong association with Artifacts has never been a particular part of Alchemicals.

​Mind, that may have been at a time when the conception of how each type of Exalt would use Artifacts was very different; Sidereals still ultimately realised the idea of being the least good with them, but the Dissonant mechanic does not represent a massive difficulty with developing Evocations; for the majority of Artifacts, they aren't really stopped from developing a full cascade of powers, just that none of them will benefit from special bonuses and some of them will be weaker than usual.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I will be very confused if Alchemicals don't resonate with at least their own caste material. Like they're built out of the stuff. How can they not resonate with themselves.

As far as previous editions, Alchemicals were also pretty much on par with solars for craft at least, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with that. 2E Autochthonia also treated artifacts in a very different way than the base setting. State owned artifacts was the way it went. This time around I can see even more incentive to let an alchemical hold onto an artifact to allow for evocation expressions. However, if they wanted to stick with the aesthetic of interchangeable artifacts they could just make Alchemicals bad at evocations. It would just be really weird to me that they'd suck at using and harmonizing what they're literally made of.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

I'm going to switch this discussion over to the general Arms thread.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Chapter 4 Go!

Chapter 4 intro fic.

...I feel like the customer sees farther than the shopkeeper.

Well, or the Scavenger Lord is correct and she is very unaware, but I think the first option is much more likely.

Fake Bright Morning seems like a good thing to pass up.

Dragonfly's Ranging Eye is pretty useful.

Fire Pearls are obvious, but cracked ones aren't very useful.

Poor Chillikin, we hardly knew you.

An Automaton Assassin, nice! Not something a warrior would likely want though.

One kind of wonders what a mortal would want in this place anyway. Which makes me think she's more than she seems.

How can you be so sure of its function if you don't know how to operate it?

It also doesn't sound like the Eye of Warning.

Ok, so she is mortal and apparently wasn't going to end up finding some secret bargain.

....ok, so it WAS actually resting. Lovely plumage, those Chillikin.
              https://youtu.be/4vuW6tQ0218

Wonders of the Lost Age

Where have I heard that before?

Starting with natural magics. Should be fun.

Little bit of intro here.

...really? ....no, I guess that works. If you could just conjure up Bright Morning or Dawnflowers out of nothing, the price would probably be be lower.

entheogen?

So, it causes you to go tripping balls, but some of the stuff you see is real?

Dawnflowers are cool. I wonder what use a fresh one might have?

My merchant character needs to have a Dreamstone in stock.

Good to have a couple of benchmarks for alchemical "healing potions"

Misc Artifacts

Another bit of intro

I'd like an audient brush. I bet its speech to text system works better than ours.

Sidebar - First Age Artifice

Ok, so, simply using a Working to create a reagent or mystic component and then artificing normally after that is normal.

First Age Artifcing is when you're actually involving Sorcery during the construction? Or is it just extra complex and requires a lot more occult knowledge?

Confusion aside, I think this is a pretty good way to handle things. A few setting breaking ancient wonders are to be expected. As long as you can't rebuild the kind of Creation-wide infrastructure that many of these things leveraged, then the setting impact would be minimal.

Clockwork bird

I'm gonna say that sending a clockwork bird to the other side of Creation is kinda dangerous sounding. Though the fact that it can identify a person by name from the top of their head is pretty impressive.

Inaccessible montane workshop? Did I just learn a new word or did someone misspell mountain?

All that said, I like these and I think they serve well as an introduction into the difference between First Age and normal artifice.

Lorestone - Ooooh. Perfect. One of the dead First Age Solars was going to have something like this. I can disguise it as one of these. And the effect is nice too.

Lotus Blossom Cup - very nice. Always having a way to purify water is great. I bet that converting this into a water filter for even moderately large amounts would probably be considered First Age Artifice.

Solar Seal - useful item and I like the notes about the jade versions. I'm going to need to include one of these and some sealed First Age messages in my game now.

Stoneheart Coffer - ok, my merchant princess definitely needs one of these. Combined with a Winterbreath Jar. I think that would be a natural evolution actually. Anyway, very cool item, very useful info about how to get into a sealed one.

The Ultimately Useful Tube - This is one of my favorite artifacts and it's nice to see a version in here that even a mortal can use. That said, I'm totally going to make a level 3+ version of it that works like a Wrackstaff and ....I dunno, Dire Blowgun, and figure out some Evocations for it.

Winterbreath Jar - ok they are in here. Yeah, you put a trunk version of one of these into a Stoneheart Coffer and you've got the perfect travel refrigerator. I like the description and everything.

Also, I'm going to build the Caldron of Winter at some point. It will be a five dot blue jade artifact that a Merchant Prince is currently using as a Winterbreath Jar.
              Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-29-2017, 01:29 AM.

Placeholder

Comment

I dunno why, but I loved the 2 dots more than the rest of the stuff. Warstriders maybe excepted, because the warstriders were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  Okay, before the corebook release, there was a tentative tiering system where Artifacts had three tiers of Evocations. Emerald, Sapphire, and Adamant, like with Sorcery.

This tiering system was scrapped, but there were a couple Craft charms in the core that built on the assumption that the tiers were still there. Arms erratas those Charms to bring them in line with how Evocations are presented in Arms.
                  They're also now paid for with craft XP. I think previously those particular charms charged "real" XP on a per-usage basis.

Comment

"Montane" is, in fact, a word. It means "on a mountain".

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      "Montane" is, in fact, a word. It means "on a mountain".
                      Ok, so I DID learn a new word.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Ok, so I DID learn a new word.
                        The way I can tell Eric wrote something is that I learn new words from it. ^_^

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          The way I can tell Eric wrote something is that I learn new words from it. ^_^
                          <3 10characters

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

As per the great Sword record, "arcane montane"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              <3 10characters
                              Oh, incidentally, I hope you guys are enjoying my read through. Some of my reactions are exaggerated a bit for humor value, so please don't get the wrong idea that I'm being dismissive of the material or that I don't like it. I'm enjoying the book immensely.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Oh, incidentally, I hope you guys are enjoying my read through. Some of my reactions are exaggerated a bit for humor value, so please don't get the wrong idea that I'm being dismissive of the material or that I don't like it. I'm enjoying the book immensely.
                                Not at all. I enjoy it!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X