BrilliantRain reads Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

Vance told us before the book dropped that particular warstriders can be designed specifically to work with armor-restrictive Styles.

So it's totally possible to have a red jade warstrider with flamethrowers built into its arms and Evocations that enhance the use of Righteous Devil Charms.

Totally. But Cathedral of Sublime Anhilation isnt that warstrider.
    ...Now I wanna run a Martial Arts game where everyone has warstriders.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
      "Face-snaked legions" Those are either exceptionally weird creatures or this is a typo. I'm honestly HOPING it's a typo.
      Or some sort of nod to the 36 Lessons of Vivec, which has the "face-snaked queen of the three-in-one". Not sure what it would man in that case, though.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
      Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
        Or some sort of nod to the 36 Lessons of Vivec, which has the "face-snaked queen of the three-in-one". Not sure what it would man in that case, though.

Reminds me of that one giant mentioned in Hundred Devils that has a snakes body but faces for scales.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I mean, being snake-faced isn’t that weird in Creation, so i’d like to think it’s something weirder.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I personally imagine these guys from Doctor Who.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Colony_Sarff

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Crusading Spear of the Depths

Niobraran War again. Interesting.

Oadenol, ftw!

Hmm... The Spoken. I wonder what they are, if they're not human? Who are they exalted by?

I wonder if this story was one of the ones they composited into Daana’d.

Don't try to claim this one unless you're the "Chosen One." Got it.

Lots of D words in the Evocations. Depth, Descent, Dark, Deep

Can travel around easily underwater. Cool.

Reflexive descent.

Ah, the first stealthy Warstrider. Well somewhat.

*ping* *ping* *ping*

Ok, so that's the underwater movement tree.

Now for the attack tree.

"Get over here!"

So, Riptide Trident Attack moves the target right then? Hmmm.... Now I want to see a stunt where it launches an attack at an ally, the ally catches it, and gets yanked to the side.

And Crashing Wave Assault lets you fire them back, ping pong style.

Serious speed boost. Nice

So, this one likes to hook opponents then.

....ok, this one is interesting. Barrier creation. And now I'm imagining turning the surface of a pond into a one way barrier so any one who goes in can't get out.

Somewhat ironically, it seems like many of the Evocations of this one are best used against someone who can't breathe underwater.

A one time environmental hazard doesn't sound so bad, but the details mean it's minimum diff 6 to evade and does minimum 20 dice of damage. Presumably it does lethal damage.

So, ow.

Very useful for a nautical game, very cool.

Placeholder

Comment

Emerald Chevalier

A nice reminder that Exalted can't hold territory by themselves. At least not with force.

The waste of this story. The amount of resources spent fighting over this thing... it's tragic.

Shouldn't the lance have the impaling tag then?

It would be nice if fatigue penalties were an actual specific thing in the game.

Personally, I think this Evocation was the real start of the problem. Using that Evocation and carrying supplies, you can go indefinitely....but the Warstrider can't.

For some reason this one reminds me of Phaedra.

https://youtu.be/G-QqSfDUF7Q

I'm not entirely sure why actually. I suppose there aren't that many four legged mechs out there and I just kind of imagine this one as ..spindly.

Ah, you can treat this one like a steed. Neat.

Fast Moving. Always running.

If this thing meets a behemoth on an open plain, look out.

...Honestly, I'd feel weird about using Indomitable Charger Focus on something smaller than me, really. It'd look weird, like jousting against a squirrel.

Trampling the opposing army does seem more workable.

....I feel like the final stand of this Warstrider, barely hanging on until it finally fails its wearer.... I feel like I can see that and it's sad.

Rest well, noble steed. Rest well.
                Last edited by BrilliantRain; 12-21-2017, 03:43 PM.

Placeholder

Comment

I remember Vance mentioning that Chevalier has the same harness setup as most Warstriders, it just translates two-legged movement to four-legs.

Though when I was reading about the Chevalier, I thought that the control harness had setups for the arms... But the leg control was like, a mechanical bull type thing that the Exalt gets on and controls by adjusting their position, like guiding a horse with your legs. Lean forward slightly to make it move forward, twist to make it turn. The natural movements of the Ride skill translate into movement for the Chevalier.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Go to YouTube and look up “Knights’ and Magic”. Or was it “Knight’s and Magic”? Some improper punctuation either way.

It features some pretty cool centaur warstriders, but outside of a few neat fight scenes, the anime is boring trash.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Godspeed Vanguard

Oooh. Sneaky Warstrider. Fun.

I really like this story.

...and now I'm imagining a big memorial shrine with the Warstrider in the center. And then a behemoth attacks and someone goes to this ancient war memorial and summons it forth.

Some say that Six Lightning Hokh perished. Some say he still lives, lost in the Wyld, fighting the forces of chaos. Some say he vanished into the shadows of Creation so completely that he could not be found again.

It feels weird for this one to have a higher speed bonus than Emerald Chevalier.

Evocations start at essence 2. Did all the Warstrider Evocations do that? I'll need to check.

Looks like yes.

Ok, so this one is also a fast Warstrider.

....how exactly are "jets of sunfire" compatible with any sort of concealment?

Good that one of these lets you ignore the stealth penalty for hiding in a Warstrider.

The afterimage Evocation is pretty interesting.

I'll need to go reread Mountain Crossing Leap and see if you can use it to come back down in the same area you started from.

Ok, I wasn't really expecting it to shine like that, but it works.

Hmmm.... Can you use Faster than Self in a Warstrider? If so, what happens?

I like it, but I would have liked a ranged attack enhancer and more stealth boosters. Which really means I just need to build my own Warstrider honestly.

Still, this one is a good one for Night Castes.

And that's all the Level 5s. Time to see what N/A is like.

Placeholder

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                        Evocations start at essence 2. Did all the Warstrider Evocations do that? I'll need to check.

Looks like yes.
                        I recall Vance mentioning elsewhere that E1 in a Warstrider is mostly "Holy @$#! I'm in a WARSTRIDER!"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I recall Vance mentioning elsewhere that E1 in a Warstrider is mostly "Holy @$#! I'm in a WARSTRIDER!"
                          Which is perfectly fair. I just hadn't noticed before.

Placeholder

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                            *snip*

And that's all the Level 5s. Time to see what N/A is like.
                            Prepare a bucket for when your face melts off.

Comment

• Ascendant Nova Phoenix

I'm a bit surprised this one is Orichalcum.

Starspire? That sounds cool.

The way you talk about this one, you make it sound like I should be more scared of it than the next one.

I wonder where it is now. I also wonder what would happen if someone were to try cannibalizing it for parts. I can't help but think that wouldn't go well.

"Behold my Egyptian God Card! I summon The Winged Dragon of Ra!"

Ok, the innate benefits are pretty nice.

Use Lift Off at the beginning of combat, find a target with Superior Vantage, do a Diving Charge with a Winged Rush into a Flyby Strike and then move back up into medium range above the ground to repeat.

So, the first Evocations in the tree is a once per scene effect that destroys a good chunk of the battlefield. I think I get what the history section meant about this one having "power to shake the pillars of Heaven."

.....I think the rest of this might just be a set of "...." interspersed with "omg" honestly.

I'm only through half the Evocations but, I feel like Awe-Inspiring God Armor is the kindest and most honest of them. Because, if you see the Ascendant Nova Phoenix above you on the battlefield and it's not on your side, you SHOULD be running.

Really with this thing out there, who needs the Five Metal Shrike.

Infinite Sunlight Shrike lets you actually teleport!?!

Oh, HERE'S where Alexander's Divine Judgement Beam went.

Phoenix Surpasses the Sun Meditation. It can go anywhere at all ever in an hour, provided you know the way.

Ok, I'll admit it. This is the scariest artifact in the book that I've read and definitely deserves the N/A rating.

SO FAR.

Karvara is next.

Placeholder

Comment

• The Walking Devil Tower is even more impressive than Ascendant Nova Pheonix. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X