A Timeline of the Eras in Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I definitely agree with you in this case - I find the argument that the Snow Hunter's story still being told pretty compelling - I would be cautious about deploying the "a Solar would just take care of it in the First Age" argument. A couple things about Arms that I've really liked, especially compared to 2nd Edition's presentation of the First Age, is that a) there was clearly stuff that could challenge and threaten the Solars and the world, even at the height of the First Age, and b) non-Solars were doing awesome stuff in the First Age, and not just because all the Solars were busy, or couldn't be bothered.

So, in the case of Galaech-Ma, it's possible that it wasn't the only behemoth wandering about during the Ten-Year Winter, or maybe the all the Dawns and Full Moons and Battles were doing other stuff, or maybe they just missed it - the Exalted aren't infallible either, even in the First Age.
    It's not so much that 'a solar would have taken care of it' and more that in the first age there was the entire exalted host to choose from to go take care of a threat from outside the world. In the Story of the ten-year winter the behemoth was hunted down by a mortal. Not a Lunar, not a Dragon-blood, not a Sidereal, not a Solar. A mortal. He became a lunar only when he confronted the beast.

In the First Age I just can't credit a threat like that being left alone by the entire exalted host for 10 years (or more depending on when the dude's hunt began vs when the behemoth first showed up).

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

I think I rationalized placing the Ten Year Winter there as one of the shitty things that just were happening after the chaos of the Niobraran War and the slow downfall of the First Deliberative that followed it. (This is all in my head anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
        There's no way that the 10 years winter was in the first age. It was a behemoth that wandered the borders of creation for 10 years!
        ​I think you're conflating Galaech-Ma with the era in which it appeared; the ten-year winter is not attributed to the monster.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          Which raises the question of how one can be an emissary of the "Exalted Host" when there is no united body there of that can have policies or relationships for such an ambassador to represent.
          How do you know it wasn't unified under something other than a Deliberative?

Comment

Originally posted by AtG View Post

How do you know it wasn't unified under something other than a Deliberative?
            Rule of cool. The Deliberative unifying the disparate Solars after conflicts between would be “rightful rulers” is more interesting than some preceding Throne or clerical authority, ergo it’s what happened.

That said I can certainly see loyalists to “rightful” monarchs of Creation or “voices of the Unconqered Sun” considering themselves emissaries of the whole Host via their “rightful” authority.

My current headcanon is that a lot of these Eras overlapping, Eight Directions exploration preceded the Sunstrife Wars, and continued in the early reign of the Deliberative (which Eight Directions Ambassadors were instrumental in helping establish).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

My current headcanon is that a lot of these Eras overlapping,
              That's not really a headcanon. It says as much in the sidebar on page 6.

Comment

Which raises the question of how one can be an emissary of the "Exalted Host" when there is no united body there of that can have policies or relationships for such an ambassador to represent.
                The United States sent ambassadors to other countries before they even had a Constitution or Federal government.

​I suppose the Congress operating under the Articles of Confederation technically qualified as a government, buuuut....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  That's not really a headcanon. It says as much in the sidebar on page 6.
                  You truncated my statement. I was explaining what my headcanon about the Eight Directions was in light of that fact.

Comment

The Exalted Host had a command structure of some sort during the Divine Rebellion. It wouldn’t have just gone away after formal declaration of victory.

(People working under military authority their whole lives are not going to immediately assume that there is such a thing as civilian authority or that military authority is illegitimate during peacetime.)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​I think you're conflating Galaech-Ma with the era in which it appeared; the ten-year winter is not attributed to the monster.
                      I think you should read the text of Galaech-Ma.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Christ I'm so tired of this...

​Why wouldn't people have told the story for thousands of years?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                          The Exalted Host had a command structure of some sort during the Divine Rebellion. It wouldn’t have just gone away after formal declaration of victory.

(People working under military authority their whole lives are not going to immediately assume that there is such a thing as civilian authority or that military authority is illegitimate during peacetime.)
                          I assumed that given the vastness of the war, the Exalted didn’t have a Creation-wide hierarchy (other than answering to the Incarnae). Each front would have had its own leadership.

Comment

I assumed that given the vastness of the war, the Exalted didn’t have a Creation-wide hierarchy (other than answering to the Incarnae). Each front would have had its own leadership.
                            Maybe there was one for each of the eight directions?

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Maybe there was one for each of the eight directions?
                              Depends what the Eight Directions are. If Center is a direction it can’t be 4 Cardinal + 4 Intercardinal directions.

My guess is the term refers to the 5 elemental Directions (which covers pushing further into the infinite chaos of the Wyld), + Down, + Up, +”Away” to those dimensions without spatial relationships to Creation like the Underworld or the Demon Realm.

Comment

*wrong thread*

Comment

Working...
                                X