Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you like to see in a Storyteller's Guide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you like to see in a Storyteller's Guide?

The Dev's have mentioned that they would like to do a Storyteller's Guide, as well as a few things they would like to do with it.

What would you like to see in such a book?

Personally, I would love more rules for Bureaucracy. While I think Exalted as both a setting and a system could really support a great campaign that focusses around such endeavors, I find it one of the most challenging things to occur in my games, since it's not something I'm well-versed in.
    For myself, even if the ST Guide wouldn't happen, a book completely dedicated to Bureaucracy would be a book I would buy.

In a similar vein, I would also like more rules/ideas for the less-obvious uses of Socialize.
    Socialize in my games often ends up as the ability you roll for Reading Intentions and use to form your Guile, but it's also an ability you can roll for social influence... and more?
    Knowing things about other cultures and not making faux pas... as an ST I find it hard to incorporate these ideas in my games, but if someone invests in Socialize I do want to reward them for that.

I would like to see a more nuanced explanation of Legendary Social Goals (page 134 of the Core). This is a topic that's often brought up (in charm/evocation reset conditions, for example), but it's not explained in a lot of detail.

Looking at it, perhaps I just need a book that explains how to properly play an Eclipse. Oh well.

Finally, one thing I really did like from the Second Edition core was the explanation of various themes of Exalted games you could play. This is definitively more a personal preference than something that I really need, but I do think the ST Guide would be a great place to put it.

Probably something similar to yours, I would like a way to start and build an organization in the game rather than just saying it exists.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
    Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
    Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

A guide on deconstructing creature statblocks.

Comment

I'll be honest, I really don't get why everyone is so keen on a complex bureaucracy rule-set; I've never had any problems with it, and other games (or Exalted's) attempts to systemise running an organisation have always seemed to me more trouble than they're worth. But other people seem keen on it, so...

I guess some alternate rules for the more controversial parts of the game (that some people love, and others hate), like character creation and Craft. Although something like Craft is awkward to do alternate rules for, because you then have to do a bunch of alternative charms for every splat.

Some kind of system/guidelines about making your own NPCs/monsters that are suitable to combat PCs.

Advice on running games/plots/combats can be good or it can be obvious stuff. But advice on how to deal with common Exalted issues like the incredible power of the PCs, having very different optimisations (I mean, compared to DnD, you will have a much wider difference in how good PCs are in combat: it's quite likely some are army-killing super-weapons while others are not much better than a buff mortal), might well be useful to some players.
        Admittedly, I tend to skim these sections, since they rarely say much I don't already know.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by CharonFerryman View Post
          A guide on deconstructing creature statblocks.
          I was going to say I think that's functionally impossible, but it occurs to me that what would be useful is a set of stats of things that PCs might commonly need ability+attributes for. Like popular animals for familiars, etc.

Comment

A guide to making adversaries and creating combat challenges with respect to the complexities and intricacies of the system balance.

Comment

In general... I want it to be an actual guide for running the game. The old WW era ST books tended to be either Companions which were just short books of stuff that either got cut from the core, or was meant to be stop gap material if you don't have the supplements that do things in greater detail, to Handbooks which often included a lot of really cool ideas but not necessarily with the best eye towards playability.

Ideally a good ST guide should be divided into two essential parts: How to get the most out of the game as-is, and how to tweak the game from it's default playstyle.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              I'll be honest, I really don't get why everyone is so keen on a complex bureaucracy rule-set; I've never had any problems with it, and other games (or Exalted's) attempts to systemise running an organisation have always seemed to me more trouble than they're worth.
              Personally, if there's going to be something, I'd love to see Exalted 3e get something like the Primacy system from VtR: Damnation City. It would essentially bring Bureaucracy more in line with War's command of BGs, and Sail's naval rules. It's not about getting into the nitty gritty details of running organizations, but focusing on the more interesting part of cultivating agents and pawns (both directly in an organization, and outside it but relevant to it) that you then direct to perform actions which reflects your influence/control.

Comment

I'll be honest, I really don't get why everyone is so keen on a complex bureaucracy rule-set; I've never had any problems with it, and other games (or Exalted's) attempts to systemise running an organisation have always seemed to me more trouble than they're worth. But other people seem keen on it, so...
                Because many of us do love world-building, society building, organization building and would love to have some guidelines on how Ex3 supports this.

I was going to say I think that's functionally impossible, but it occurs to me that what would be useful is a set of stats of things that PCs might commonly need ability+attributes for. Like popular animals for familiars, etc.
                Well firstly, in Exalted, not much is impossible. Secondly, Spirits can also become Familiars. So it is not just animals that need proper statblocks, but pretty much anything. I do miss the 2E days where creatures are given proper statblocks. I guess word count was not an issue back then.

Comment

BecauseI guess word count was not an issue back then.
                  Ok but tbf the core book in 3rd is larger than any other table top book I’ve ever seen before even the cores from previous editions so word count is not the case I feel.

Elemental and dragon line descriptors and capturing device coming soon
                  Craft Rewrite W/ Points, Slots, and Charms
                  Executive Leadership Organization Merrit

Comment

I think it’s worth thinking critically about whether attribute values and abilities scores are actually necessary for familiars, or if it’s more a matter of the charms in question needing guidelines that actually match up with the systems that govern things like animal stats.

I suspect that would be more efficient than devising a method (that doesn’t exist) to universally reverse engineer those stat blocks, or to print alternative versions of those stat blocks.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

There is a reason that I strongly opposed Quick stat blocks for npc. You lose far to much info with them.

I definitely want to see a robust system of rules for Beauracracy. As an ability it has so much potential but it is completely crippled by not having a system to latch onto.

I should be able to having my Beauracracy character infiltrate an organization, and have them set about defining a war effort and mess with supply lines and actually see how those efforts play out on the battlefield for my war focused players.

Give me Battlefields and Boardrooms.

Comment

Personally I'd love to see a reprinting of the core that takes all the antagonists out and basically makes the core book the player's guide, here's the background and all the stuff for your character.

Then rework the antagonists to make them more broadly useful (there are some very useful ones! And some that are no use whatsoever, really), add in the recent excellently written ones, put that in a book which works as a Storyteller's Guide.

So then you've got a less unwieldy core and a more comprehensive source of GM resources. Ex3 needs GM resources more than anything else.

Comment

Because many of us do love world-building, society building, organization building and would love to have some guidelines on how Ex3 supports this.
                          What I mean is, our games have tons of world-building, society building, and organisation building/running, far more than they do combat, and whenever games (Exalted or otherwise) try and systemise this, it tends to get in our way far more than it helps, because the rules are generally quite reductive and we have to squeeze stuff into those rules. And generally, when people go "I want to do X and Y with my bureacracy character", I think "In my game, people could, and sometimes my players have, done that, what's the problem?" In a way that with some other charmsets, people actually can't easily do what they want with the current rules without more rules or custom charms.

I mean, I know loads of people really want it, I'm not going to whine if it's in there, it's just that we'll probably ignore it as more hassle than it's worth.

Well firstly, in Exalted, not much is impossible.
                          I think deconstructing stat blocks for QCs is impossible because you'll find when deconstructing it that they just fall apart, they don't add up properly. I think you'd just need to flat-out supply the abilities/attributes instead.

Originally posted by Leetsepeak
                          I think it’s worth thinking critically about whether attribute values and abilities scores are actually necessary for familiars, or if it’s more a matter of the charms in question needing guidelines that actually match up with the systems that govern things like animal stats.
                          That's mostly true. One of the main reasons you need to know animal stats is for when charms mess around with them (like +1 up to max 5, but you don't know whether they already have 5).

But with a familiar, which is going to be making far more kinds of rolls than a random animal encounter (or, as CharonFerryman pointed out, spirits), it's not infrequent that they have to make a roll that the familiar simply does not have a value for, and it has no base stats for you to derive the value from. So you do need some core stats to derive it from.
                          When it's mattered for us, we've written up proper stats, that are to some extent derived from the book, but it doesn't fit exactly.

Comment

I'm looking forward to preveiws of the new Exalts. Some general discussion of running the game would be nice, but Ive managed it fine on a second go around so...Yeah, tbh Id buy it just for "the new exalts are vaugely like ___"

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I was going to say, some examples of the new Exalts would be interesting, but I wonder if it'd be better in the bestiary.

Fluff for them (I mean, not a lot, but a bit) would go well in the ST Guide though. Certainly, the devs seem keen on putting something about them in.

Originally posted by Epee102
                              Some general discussion of running the game would be nice, but Ive managed it fine on a second go around so
                              That's generally my opinion too, though I did find running a game of 7 essence 5 Solars (well, 5 and 2 Lunars) very difficult because of the power level, so advice on that would be useful. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the writers could say that I don't already know.

Comment

Working...
                              X