Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Edition Shard: Gundam Battletech - Invasion of the Eight Autochthonian Nations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Edition Shard: Gundam Battletech - Invasion of the Eight Autochthonian Nations

This Shard has a simple premise: An all-out "Holy War" without compromise between the Realm and the nations of Autochthonia, where the defining weapons are Warstriders piloted by Dragon-Blooded pitted against Colossus Alchemicals with bonded Champion pilots.

With, of course, the occasional Solar piloting a Warstrider stolen from the Realm or her own past-life tomb, or an Alchemical Champion furnished with a Warstrider by one of the Autochthonian gods.

The background of this Shard is that the Solar Exalted do not reappear en force. Either the Scarlet Empress doesn't disappear, or the Dragon-Blooded and Sidereal Exalted managed to sort out the succession issue thanks to not having an influx of Solars, Abyssals, and Infernals running around.

The Eye of Autocthon is found, and the Realm and the Silver Pact wage a swift and desperate war to claim it.

The Realm wins. With the power of the Eye, the Realm rebuilds much of the failing infrastructure and tools of the Solar Deliberative.

The Lunar Exalted are driven back into the Wyld. It is the Usurpation all over again. They continue to harass the Threshold, but the back of their resistance is broken. The mortal nations at Creation's rim cannot be used as an effective weapon against the new might of the Empire, and the Lunar Exalted can no longer locate and rescue as many of their reborn brothers and sisters. Many of them forge desperate and foolhardy new alliances with the raksha, who are likewise bloodied and harried by the reinvigorated Wyld Hunt. The Hannya have happily devoured many Fair Folk who fled the safety of Creation.

Just when it seems nothing could possibly challenge the Realm again, the Autochthonians arrive on the scene.

After it becomes clear that the Realm has the Eye of Autochthon, and will not surrender it, much less agree to fair trade deals for the resources that Autocthonian desperately needs, all Eight Nations declare war against the Realm for the honor and the survival of their god and people.

Thanks to the Eye, the Realm have enough Warstriders to answer the number of Autochthonia's Colossi. They have more than enough mortals and Dragon-Blooded to outnumber the mortals and Champions of the machine god.

The Fivescore Fellowship are more or less united in their support for the Realm, now that it clearly represents the best force for unifying and fortifying Creation's existence without needing to rely on the other Celestial Exalted.

But the Realm (and its Heavenly backer) is fighting on multiple fronts.

The Dynasty is still just as poisonous and hungry a nest of vipers as it ever was. Their overwhelming success in conquering Creation has only made them more proud and greedy, and many are still aching over lost opportunities in the last struggle for succession.

The Lunar Exalted aren't dead yet, and still just as capable of infiltrating the Realm and savaging its infrastructure or inciting its internal tensions.

The original number of Solar Exalted are still reincarnating, and the rest might appear later together with the Abyssals and Infernals.

The Sidereal Exalted are still plagued by the Getimians, as well.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 11-25-2017, 09:29 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

At the higher level, I really enjoy this concept. A lot of the minor details bug me, but I'd really hate to get into them because they're just not relevant to the point. The point is Realm vs Autocthonia in giant robots. And that's a point I can get behind any day.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
      At the higher level, I really enjoy this concept. A lot of the minor details bug me, but I'd really hate to get into them because they're just not relevant to the point. The point is Realm vs Autocthonia in giant robots. And that's a point I can get behind any day.
      The higher level is what I really care about, too, so I'm curious what little details would get in the way of your enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
        The higher level is what I really care about, too, so I'm curious what little details would get in the way of your enjoyment.
        I disliked Lunars once again getting pushed to the background of the setting. Them being significantly more prominent in 3e was a big deal for me. That said, Solars were pushed out of the way, and with them Abyssals and Infernals. Which makes it unique, so I'd deal. The Eye of Autochthon is supposed to carry a curse, but your setting only shows a reasonably long-reigning benefit from holding it. I'd want to see something bad come from using it. "Principles of electricity and electronics" feels unnecessary to what you're going for and is typically out of scope for the setting; everything else still works without saying that.

None of these things ruin my enjoyment. But you gave a lot of detail, and a lot of the little detail rubbing me just a little bit. All of it is easily ignoreable in the face of GIANT ROBOT BATTLES.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I disliked Lunars once again getting pushed to the background of the setting. Them being significantly more prominent in 3e was a big deal for me. That said, Solars were pushed out of the way, and with them Abyssals and Infernals. Which makes it unique, so I'd deal.
          If the Realm had enough Warstriders to send them out regularly, it's hard to see what the Lunar Exalted could do to challenge that. The Dragon-Blooded outnumber the Lunar Exalted, so with Warstriders to overwhelm the usual Celestial advantage...

In a Warstrider-heavy setting, Lunar Exalted best fill the role of guerilla fighters... as they pretty much ALWAYS do. They can assume the forms of giant beasts, but their unique strength comes from being able to do that from surprise where no one expects them, cause a whole bunch of damage to vulnerable places, and then leave before the Warstriders appear.

It doesn't make sense for Lunars to have armies or nations that can take part in Giant Robot warfare, with front lines and fortifications. They didn't have the ability to build and field Warstriders against the Realm BEFORE the Realm had more Warstriders, so they sure wouldn't afterwards.

The Eye of Autochthon is supposed to carry a curse, but your setting only shows a reasonably long-reigning benefit from holding it. I'd want to see something bad come from using it.
          Maybe it simply hasn't been long enough. Maybe someone finally figured out how to use it. Maybe the Sidereal Exalted are working hard to contain and or avert its doom.

The Eye is important as a source of conflict between the Realm and Autochthonia.

"Principles of electricity and electronics" feels unnecessary to what you're going for and is typically out of scope for the setting; everything else still works without saying that.
          That was a left over from an earlier draft that involved "Battlewalkers" -- knockoffs of Warstriders made without sorcerous artifice, just with natural technology.

I wasn't sure whether to entirely ditch that idea, though it seemed less and less important with the focus being between Noble Warstriders and Colossus Alchemicals.

Dragon-Blooded and Champion Alchemicals on foot are a lot more dangerous than unmounted footsoldiers in Gundam, so having them help is somewhat like having "mook mecha".

Comment

So, how would Dragon-Blooded pilots and their Warstrider engineers counter the Alchemical ability to adapt and grow?

A Warstrider can’t so easily change its Evocations, so a Colossus can return for a rematch as that Warstrider’s perfect counter.

Furthermore, Colossi will almost certainly have a Charm or Spell/Protocol for merging up to six of them together to form DEVASTATOR.

That’s a rather daunting opponent even for a Royal Warstrider.

Comment

So, how would Dragon-Blooded pilots and their Warstrider engineers counter the Alchemical ability to adapt and grow?

A Warstrider can’t so easily change its Evocations, so a Colossus can return for a rematch as that Warstrider’s perfect counter.

Furthermore, Colossi will almost certainly have a Charm or Spell/Protocol for merging up to six of them together to form DEVASTATOR.

That’s a rather daunting opponent even for a Royal Warstrider.

I'd say by feilding highly specific individuals into functional units, such that adapting to counter one makes you easily weakend against those other 4. Perfect counter to Chevalir, for examlpe, isn't going ot be ready for the slog of Sublime anihilation.

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
              Many Limbed Manual
              Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
              San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
              My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Wyld tainted Lunar Kaiju suddenly appearing in major cities seems a perfectly acceptable role for Lunars in this setting.

Comment

I love the idea of this setting. But I must echo the askance look at electricity and stuff.

Giant Robot fights are always awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                    I'd say by feilding highly specific individuals into functional units, such that adapting to counter one makes you easily weakend against those other 4. Perfect counter to Chevalir, for examlpe, isn't going ot be ready for the slog of Sublime anihilation.
                    Colossi can also be deployed in units.

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                    Wyld tainted Lunar Kaiju suddenly appearing in major cities seems a perfectly acceptable role for Lunars in this setting.
                    Wyld Taint doesn't exist, and also isn't even slightly necessary to explain why a Lunar would suddenly start wrecking a Realm city as a kaiju.

Otherwise, YES.

Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
                    But I must echo the askance look at electricity and stuff.
                    Fine, that legacy artifact has been edited out entirely.

Comment

Colossi can also be deployed in units.
                      I was kinda assuming Dragonblooded maintained their traditional advantage of numbers and resources, to be honest.

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
                      Many Limbed Manual
                      Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                      San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
                      My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                        I was kinda assuming Dragonblooded maintained their traditional advantage of numbers and resources, to be honest.
                        They do, but that doesn't mean they have more Warstriders than Autochthonia has Colossi.

Having a Warstrider for each and every Dragon-Blooded would be obscene.

Comment

They do, but that doesn't mean they have more Warstriders than Autochthonia has Colossi.

Having a Warstrider for each and every Dragon-Blooded would be obscene.
                          That implies an awful lot of Colossi.

Comment

That implies an awful lot of Colossi.
                            What would you consider an awful lot?

Comment

What would you consider an awful lot?
                              A world where the Dragon-blooded have discovered mass-manufacturing of warstriders and yet there are still more Essence 8+ Alchemicals than DBs with warstriders. Honestly, if there's more E8+ Alchemicals than warstriders in the default 3e game setting, I'd consider it an awful lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X