X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldagusto
    started a topic Dead Languages

Dead Languages

So the Brass Legionnaires, and I remember at least one other mention of dead languages known by something revived from the past age, indicate some common languages were lost in the turning of an Age. The origin of the Directional languages are not as clear yet in this edition, they may be inventions of the Early First Age like in 2nd ed or they could be older. Do you think the Language origins changed?

What extinct languages could things like the Brass Legionnaires know? I can think of High Holy Speech, and Earthtongue (the progenitor language of High and Low Realm presumably). Autochthonic was developed elsewhere, and close to Old Realm. Didn't Mountain Folk know something like Stonetongue or am I misremembering.

What languages do you imagine were wiped out? I like to speculate because I see things like Demons and Gods still being fond of these languages if its the tongue of an old soul mate or home or some such.

So maybe a nonhuman language like, Peliagial, or a common tradetongue for the Niobraran League? What would be so big to culturally as to have its own Language family rather then Tribal Tongues (which I think only a minority of Brass Legionnaires would pick up).

• Baaldam
    replied
    Speaking of the subject, i ask myself what kind of tales could take form from the interaction between deities of languages lost to Creation and nations of dead people that remember and still speak in them in the Underworld...

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    That's one I'm considering. I guess Solars were more likely to do something like raise up their own 1dot language just for their pet empire and I can see the South having a few.
    There could also be code languages invented for military or commercial purposes. Something like Navaho code talkers except on purpose. It would make it more difficult for someone to give orders to your brass soldiers or to understand what orders they had been given until they were being carried out.

Leave a comment:

• Bladewind
    replied
    Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
    I would assume the Niobrarans had their own language apart from what was spoken in the West.

Perhaps Deeptongue? Depthspeak? Cthullutentacles?
    Deepthroat, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Solar
    replied
    I've always portrayed the directional languages as directional trade languages, with different areas having their own vast and bewildering array of languages, some related and some hugely different, just like the real world. So if you're from the South you know the trade language of the south and your own language from whatever place you come from.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Xanroth View Post
    I doubt that the Brass Legionnaires would know this one, but the language of the Ereta'een would definitively be an extinct language.
    Some that the Legionnaires could potentially know would possibly be dialects of extinct primordial sub-souls, though that's not entirely a language.
    Possibly some local probably unnamed languages native to areas wiped out by the Contagion and the fairfolk invasion.
    Also languages of species who sided with the primordials could be languages that they know.

That's one I'm considering. I guess Solars were more likely to do something like raise up their own 1dot language just for their pet empire and I can see the South having a few.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
    I don't know if it remains a thing in 3E, but there are presumably a ton of dead "barbarian" languages of the sort mentioned in the Linguistics ability in 2E.
    Oh yeah the 1/4th languages are still a thing, and I use them in my game. Countless minor languages probably arose and wiped out over history. But the impression I got was major languages that would be useful for Brass Soldiers to know. So something the equivalent of Riverspeak, and Firetongue but extinct.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    I don't know if it remains a thing in 3E, but there are presumably a ton of dead "barbarian" languages of the sort mentioned in the Linguistics ability in 2E.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    I've considered that High/Low realm may be the the same as Earthtongue as well, but I found it more satisfying to have it be a mutation of it, that way I can sneak in Earthtongue as a special extinct language that someone like a God, or someone in suspended animation may know. Also as mentioned if Earthtongue is not one the Dead Languages that the Brass Legionnaires may know... then I am really running out of options without inventing things whole cloth like I don't know Undersea Tongue, or Cloudspeak or Startalk.
    Just apply the "one dot equals 1 directional tongue or half-dozen local tribal/national idioms" thing that has been around since 2e, as far as i remember, no big deal.

Not to mention we have canon examples of a major patois (Riverspeak) and constructed tongue (Guild's Cant), there's no reason a bunch of otherss might not have risen, disappeared through untold millenia or persisted in less notorious places for a number of motives (the language has ties to some major element of a society's culture, is a link to some major piece of a group's past or power, serves as a tool to confound outsiders & etc).

Leave a comment:

• armyofwhispers
    replied
    I would assume the Niobrarans had their own language apart from what was spoken in the West.

Perhaps Deeptongue? Depthspeak? Cthullutentacles?

Leave a comment:

• Xanroth
    replied
    I doubt that the Brass Legionnaires would know this one, but the language of the Ereta'een would definitively be an extinct language.
    Some that the Legionnaires could potentially know would possibly be dialects of extinct primordial sub-souls, though that's not entirely a language.
    Possibly some local probably unnamed languages native to areas wiped out by the Contagion and the fairfolk invasion.
    Also languages of species who sided with the primordials could be languages that they know.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
    Honestly, i have always been of the impression that High Realm and Earthtongue are basically the same language under different names and eras/rulership than actually independent and separate languages -, though i'm the first to admit i would have to hit the books to check for sure how much support for - or against - such a theory/view of facts is there in 2e books....
    I've considered that High/Low realm may be the the same as Earthtongue as well, but I found it more satisfying to have it be a mutation of it, that way I can sneak in Earthtongue as a special extinct language that someone like a God, or someone in suspended animation may know. Also as mentioned if Earthtongue is not one the Dead Languages that the Brass Legionnaires may know... then I am really running out of options without inventing things whole cloth like I don't know Undersea Tongue, or Cloudspeak or Startalk.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Honestly, i have always been of the impression that High Realm and Earthtongue are basically the same language under different names and eras/rulership than actually independent and separate languages -, though i'm the first to admit i would have to hit the books to check for sure how much support for - or against - such a theory/view of facts is there in 2e books....

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I'm not convinced High Realm/Low Realm came from Old Realm. Old Realm is just the Oldest language, and the default language hardwired into Creation. It was what the Old Realm used for official writings. Meanwhile High Realm and Low Realm take the Blessed Isle which used to Speak Earthtongue. Now Old Realm is the basic Language which Earthtongue most likely evolved from, as it is the Ur-tongue of humanity, but I would say Earthtongue evolved into High and Low Realm rather then those coming directly from Old Realm. They basically are Using Realm in the title of their language to signal legitimacy as the Empire of the known Universe. I speculate Low Realm is more closely tied to Earthtongue and thus was kept by the common class, the very sons of the soil of the continent, while High Realm I speculate is the equivalent of Riverspeak in that it represents the Nobles and Dynasts assimilating cultures and languages as they brought the 10,000 Dragons into their fold. Hence Low Realm having common asian names like Li and Shen, while High Realm names are drawn from such a vast collection of dragonblooded families their names sound very Conan fantasy-esque like Mnemon and Cathak. Arms of the Chosen has a chapter fiction that talks about the odd language drift of the names as families associated with an artifact armor changed with time.

Leave a comment:

• webkilla
    replied
    the progenitor language to high and low realm was old realm - IIRC

and autochtonic is basically just a really thick accented version of old realm

but ya, the mountain folk have their own language I think - or they use old realm too

there could have been many demonic languages - languages spoken by races created by other primordials. Like, maybe the original Lintha had a unique language? and of course there will have been loads of tribal tongues that have been lost to various disasters and wars when random tribes get wiped out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X