Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code Silver: Lunars Siege the Blessed Isle!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code Silver: Lunars Siege the Blessed Isle!

So by my reckoning the big reason Lunars never Sieged the Blessed Isle full force is mostly because it would shatter Creation, as the Empress would be forced to unleash the Sword of Creation, which in turn would start ruining the Blessed Isle as part of the backlash of the Realm Defense Grid's strain. I really believe they would ex out the Empress, even if it would be tough and several Lunars would be slain. And then they would have to deal with the Sidereals. Annnnd then there is the hurtle of convincing enough of the Silver Pact to go in on the plan. The setting seems to assume they are putting things off, kind of procrastinating while cultivating experience, mortal civilizations on the worlds rim, and general resources.

But say something happened, I dunno Luna appears in a miraculous prophesy giving a warning that the Empress is a threat to Creation or some junk, so now the Silver Pact mostly agrees to ex out the Empress and take over the Isle. Conceivably a circle of Solars could black ops an undercover mission to ex out the empress if they had to. A player circle allied to an NPC circle could turn the Blessed isle on its head with their shenanigans. So I don't see why getting say 40 bad ass black ops Lunar Assassins form a war pack and undercover infiltrate the Isle and could ex out the Empress with the rest of the Silver Pact preparing to siege the Isle. The biggest threats would be the Five Score Fellowship, and they would not at all be unified in opposing them, in fact I wager the Sidereals of the Age of Sorrow would have the Silver Faction become a major contender over night if the Silver Pact pulled an operation on this scale.

We know single Lunars seem to sometimes crusade against the Realm, often being taken out by the Wyld Hunt, and secret Sidereal help. But we rarely hear about coordinated Lunar wars against the Realm, only sometimes things like a pack made of an experience lunar and his pupils. The attrition rate of Dragonblooded against the Lunars would be nutz, Lunars reincarnate, Dragonblooded however experiencing one bad Generation and their numbers would suffer. Even Single Lunars if patient could kill multiple Dragonblooded over a mortal generation, but a group of them could be very dangerous to even a great house. If Surrender or practical extinction are the options they would need to think things through once they start losing the war.

Before in 2nd ed there was talk about the Realm's legions varied in size throughout the Empress' tenure, with modern times being on the smallish-medium end and in times of strife they mention over a hundred Realm legions being fielded, which could be around only one percent of the population of the Blessed Isle, give or take a few hundred million. And they could if they had to draft even more soldiers, like an insane amount more, but I doubt they would have the Logistics without the Empress to keep them directed when fighting supernatural shapeshifting tricksters.

This is kind of a messy thread. :P But what do you think on the general subject of the Silver Pact basically making an attempt to seize Creation? Its not that silly of an idea, its just an idea that has been downplayed. And a lot of this was under the assumption they would have to take out the Empress, what if this goes on in the default 5 years after the Empress disappeared and Solars are running a muck!

It is a time for great deeds!

Messy.

But are you sure that Luna alone can rally the lunars?

Comment

I don't think the lunars have the infrastructure to be able to match the Realm war machine.
      If I have understood the realm correctly then it's basically a fertile paradise which means that it has a pretty significant population. Kind of like with China around the time when Genghis Khan invaded. If I don't miss-remember they had cities with population about as large as the population of Europe (it said so in a book I read at some point so grain of salt on that one but you get what I mean).
      With a population that large they have access to enormous armies and they have great roads and even advanced transports meaning that they can recruit and deploy fresh armies very swiftly.
      They have huge amounts of workshops and smithies, they have ties with the mountain folk so they can receive great amounts of resources from them and they have access to the resources and population of their Satrapies giving them that advantage as well.
      There are the multiple war manses and ancient armories with weapons and artifacts that they can deploy. They reside on an island where the faith of the populous is essentially painting the Lunars as devils making them difficult to recruit and makes landing troops a lot harder.
      Infiltrating them is more than likely much harder than most seem to believe since the important targets are all parts of large usually supernatural families who would probably notice those tiny, tiny differences that an impersonator does and would become suspicious.
      Then there's just the number of dragon-blooded they have available, to count the five score brotherhood as the main threat is very unfair against the dragon-blooded. They are exalts, they are not weak and definitively not stupid. A few murders and they would start to use countermeasures, Lunars have tried and failed before so they are very likely to have ways to find them out.
      Not to mention the Wyld hunt veterans.
      A large group of Lunars would also be far more likely to get exposed.
      And then there's the Siddies...
      The Lunars are in no way pushovers but the closer you get to the realm the less likely you are to succeed and despite the internal struggles of the great houses, they would most likely rather die than surrender to "a horde of barbarians" and uniting and crushing them together is a better option than both of those.
      If any anathema starts to create some kind of threatening seat of power in close proximity to the realm they will crash down on them hard. They don't want another bull of the north. And unlike the bull they will most likely not have fate twisted against them by Kejak or get betrayed by their own empress.
      Lunars have few "impressive" seats of power because until recently there was the threat of the sword of creation falling down on anything that could pose a serious threat.

That's just my opinion/thoughts on it.

I apologize if I misunderstood the thread.

I'm making the Tales of Exalts webcomic
      http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...ales-of-exalts
      alchemical report http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...hemical-Report
      the fall http://xanroth.deviantart.com/gallery/55265686/the-fall

Comment

I think it would be an epic setting for a campaign, and that you should play it. Insurmountable odds? The Fate Of The World Is At Stake? A small band of chosen misfits against the machine of empire? It's like the adventure tropes write themselves!

From a more 'Exalted Setting' type analysis, I wouldn't want the Lunars to succeed. What are the Dragon-Blooded without their status? How do the Lunars keep the Solars out of power? What to do about Sidereal war reparations? Taking Lunars off of their scrappy survivalist outcast status and into the rulers of Creation 'mixes the streams' of their thematic potency, and steps on other splat's themes by denying them the ruler, ahem, Lawgiver space. So, 'Lunars win' is a campaign ending, rather than campaign beginning point for me. Don't let my reluctance to play against type stop you, though!

The Lunar Castebooks fan project

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          So by my reckoning the big reason Lunars never Sieged the Blessed Isle full force is mostly because it would shatter Creation, as the Empress would be forced to unleash the Sword of Creation, which in turn would start ruining the Blessed Isle as part of the backlash of the Realm Defense Grid's strain. I really believe they would ex out the Empress, even if it would be tough and several Lunars would be slain. And then they would have to deal with the Sidereals. Annnnd then there is the hurtle of convincing enough of the Silver Pact to go in on the plan. The setting seems to assume they are putting things off, kind of procrastinating while cultivating experience, mortal civilizations on the worlds rim, and general resources.
          Yeah, I think that's mostly reasonable, though you haven't mentioned the main issue, which is that over 10,000 Dragonblood live on the Isle.

I wouldn't describe it as procrastinating though, so much as getting ready.

But say something happened, I dunno Luna appears in a miraculous prophesy giving a warning that the Empress is a threat to Creation or some junk,
          Or the Empress vanished and no-one else can use the Sword of Creation.

so now the Silver Pact mostly agrees to ex out the Empress
          How do you know the Lunars... haven't already done exactly that?
          Why do you think the Empress is missing, huh?
          The most likely explanation is that it was the first move in the Silver Pact's long-awaited plan to invade the Blessed Isle.

Conceivably a circle of Solars could black ops an undercover mission to ex out the empress if they had to.
          Pffft. Who needs Essence 1-2 Solar noobs. They can't even turn into birds, or spiders, or the Empress's maids! Most of them don't even have assassination-orientated power sets. And there's not that many of them anyway. Why use a handful of Solars who've been exalted for 2-3 years, when you can use a veteran pack of century-old Lunars?

So I don't see why getting say 40 bad ass black ops Lunar Assassins form a war pack and undercover infiltrate the Isle and could ex out the Empress with the rest of the Silver Pact preparing to siege the Isle.
          I think that could absolutely happen.

The biggest threats would be the Five Score Fellowship, and they would not at all be unified in opposing them, in fact I wager the Sidereals of the Age of Sorrow would have the Silver Faction become a major contender over night if the Silver Pact pulled an operation on this scale.
          I kind of agree with you, but I think the Realm DBs are a bigger threat than the Sidereals.

Of course, if the Lunars were able to turn the DBs against each other in some sort of brutal civil war...

This is kind of a messy thread. :P But what do you think on the general subject of the Silver Pact basically making an attempt to seize Creation? Its not that silly of an idea, its just an idea that has been downplayed. And a lot of this was under the assumption they would have to take out the Empress, what if this goes on in the default 5 years after the Empress disappeared and Solars are running a muck!
          This is kind of exactly what happened in my game. Lunars assassinated the Empress, stoked the fires of civil war, got barbarian mercenaries onto the Isle under House Ragara, then rebelled while simultaneously invading with hordes of barbarians and beastmen led by people like Tammuz and Ma-Ha-Suchi.

They wrecked the Isle, and the Azure Emperor (Ledaal Kes) was unable to stop them as turning the Sword of Creation onto the Realm itself would be too dangerous.

Unfortunately, for unrelated reasons, the Loom of Fate was blown up and the Raksha invaded, so they had to abandon their conquest of the Realm and rush back to save Creation, which they did with help from Autocthon, the Alchemicals, and the Copper Faction of Sidereals.

But their armies were weakened by then, so they had to retreat to rebuild their forces, and the Realm spent 20 years consolidating under the Jade Empress (V'neef), before recently re-invading some parts of the Threshold.

Honestly, if it was just the end of the game, I'd have probably let the Lunars and their barbarian hordes destroy the Realm Western-Rome-style (so... not actually destroy the Realm, but wreck and change it enough that it's effectively no longer the Realm), but the game continued and I wanted to keep the Realm as possible future villains.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

I am so gonna steal this idea. Plus work Some of my own ideas into it. Like a Silver faction in heaven distract the siddies, divide heaven on the issue and run interference.

Comment

I imagine a lot of the lunars who are motivated to ruin the realm and dance on its ashes tried early on its existence and died doing it.

The old ones left are all for various reasons not interested in destroying the realm completely, or value the lives of its subjects too much to risk it all going horribly wrong, or are perpetually plotting it's downfall. The rest have there own issues they value more than the downfall of the realm bar the odd one.

Though to be fair that is a brilliant story seed for a lunar game. Well done you've took out the empress and took control.

Have fun dealing with the mess!

Comment

I would like to think it happened at least once centuries ago. Chejop at my table is missing a hand from the battle he had with three Lunar assassins that began when he snatched one out of the air as a fly inches away from the Empress’ neck.

When Full Moon kaiju grew simultaneously in the Isle’s major cities, rather than destroy her major population centers with the Sword (a sacrifice the Lunars were knowingly willing to make to make her cripple her own infrastructure), the Empress for the only time in the Realm’s history unleashed her ENTIRE arsenal of Warstriders with trusted pilots, piloting a Royal one herself, to face the attackers. That was the last time Sha’a Oka was seen before his most recent reemergence (unless canon gives me a better story).

The Realm won the fight, and the Silver Pact hasn’t had enough powerful elders all willing to make such an assault together since... until possibly now. The attack did destroy much of the Realm’s remaining visible Shogunate Era industrial infrastructure, however. So it was no one sided victory.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Wow there is a lot of really cool ideas from you guys that I want to include in my history even in a chronicle that doesn't concentrate on this, like one handed Chejop.

I do know the 10,000 Dragons (well actually I reckon more like 15k in truth for the realm I think) would be a nigh invincible army, but the specialty in this type of war is the spycraft, and the power the Lunars have to feign battles to get the Dragonblooded to concentrate their forces in the wrong battles in a war. And with Dragonblooded more defined as being a host, it can be dangerous for them to be separated.

Even if the Lunars lost a full force war against the Dragonblooded, it would ruin the Realm, meanwhile the Lunars would just rejuvenate much quicker.

I feel if the Lunars had say the nihilism of the Abyssals they would have been able to ruin the Blessed Isle with Plagues and spiteful curses. I feel it was more trouble then its worth for them to burn out destroying the realm, because they core enough about their cultivated peoples to sacrifices them wholesale, and they recognize they can't have both the Lunars and the Realm too weak from battle at the same time, way to dangerous for Creation. Time is on their side so I figure they are waiting to give the Dragonblooded another chance to say break their back defending against some apocalypse or another.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                  X