Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws?

So, sorcerers who take Wood Dragon's Claws as their control spell can create and master Evocations for them.

Has anybody made up any to go along with it?

Did a site search and I found an old one made a year and a half ago. Hope that gives you a good starting place!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

My search-fu is weak.

Comment

Takes a lot of practice. Precision is important, and less is more.

I also spend a LOT of time reading these forums every day so... I might remember where to look a little better than some...

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

That set of claws in Arms is gonna be reskinned some for my characters.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I've always advocated taking the Evocations from any other 3 dot artifact weapon and re-fluffing them for taste. Spring Razor's set, for example, is very thematic.

Comment

Lots of good ideas, thanks!

Comment

I'd be tempted to have it grow vine-constructs and use the evocations of the Distaff.

A Clutch of Dragons: First Draft pdf

Comment

remember that evocations are supposed to be individualized. I feel like none would be more unique to the individual than evocations for a spell construct.

Also remember that they should be approximately at the level of a 3-dot artifact (at least according to the Devs). which means that there's a max of 10-ish, and they should roughly focus on enhancing your abilities in some way.

If you have any ideas that you want the forum to take a shot at, there's a few really good charm writers around.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

A guy in my group wrote up some Evocations for his Wood Dragon Claw, though I don't have the actual notes. If I remember correct one of his Evocations would let him shove his hand into the ground, at which point it would turn into a vine and could then pop out of the ground elsewhere, letting him make a Melee attack against someone at up to Medium range. He had another one that would let him create a poison (actually he was implanting a seed in their body) - if someone died while poisoned, their body quickly decay as numerous flowers sprung across it.

For the last Evocation, he could spend extra Essence to create a more powerful poison/seed. In that case if someone died while under it, a massive flower with a fruit (about the size of a basketball) would grow from the corpse. The fruit would break open two rounds later, revealing a small plant creature that was under his character's control - the plant creature would possesses the dead individual's lower soul and some of its memories. It would serve the character loyally for a scene. At the end of the scene it would start to root itself in the ground and then wouldn't be able to move anymore. At that point it would be a perfectly normal and mundane tree though with twisted features reminiscent of the deceased creature's.

I think he had two other Evocations but I can't remember what they were off hand. Those were the ones he used the most often.

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                      remember that evocations are supposed to be individualized. I feel like none would be more unique to the individual than evocations for a spell construct.

Also remember that they should be approximately at the level of a 3-dot artifact (at least according to the Devs). which means that there's a max of 10-ish, and they should roughly focus on enhancing your abilities in some way.

If you have any ideas that you want the forum to take a shot at, there's a few really good charm writers around.

This is all some idea gathering for a possible Chronicle to start next year, so I have a dozen questions for every idea.

At this point, I'm working on my fourth (recent) spin through character generation, trying on a bunch of build ideas.

This particular one is an Eclipse caste diplomat or fixer. He's starting with a bit of oratory and all that good stuff. So he can be ready for battle during social scenes, he's got a bit of Unusual Hide. I'm also taking him unarmed so he'll never be defenseless at the bargaining table or making a speech.

Part of the experiment with this character is to get Sorcery and Martial Arts working together, so he's starting off with a little Tiger (enough for the Form), Wood Dragon's Claws (exactly for this thread), and Invulnerable Skin of Bronze to layer up with the Unusual Hide and a concealed chain shirt. Doing both MArts and Sorcery is a stretch, but it's an interesting effort. Eclipse charm-learning plus a range of Evocations seems like a good way to mix up some effectiveness and some utility, too, but I haven't worked through any advancement crunch yet.

Since the WDClaws will be his primary weapon, I made that his control spell. And here we are!

So, in this particular case - which is quite tentative - Evocations for WDClaws that improve defense would be good. This character isn't going to be the heavy in the circle, so fighting for stalemate would be quite valid.

This character also prefers to resolve conflicts, where possible, without undue waste, so subdual options would be valid as well.

If he's fighting to stalemate, then supporting the rest of the Circle with stunts, bonuses, and effects would be helpful.

Especially, thoughts on how current Ex3 Storytellers are building up Evocations like these would be helpful!

Comment

Invulnerable Skin of Bronze isn't compatible with Tiger Style. It's considered medium armour and Tiger Style is only compatible with light.

Comment

I'm definitely making a Fruit of the Broken Heart Evocation for ripping foes hearts out with your claws and turning it into supernatural fruit!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            Invulnerable Skin of Bronze isn't compatible with Tiger Style. It's considered medium armour and Tiger Style is only compatible with light.
                            Oh, sorry. I misspelled "Fairly Tough Skin of Bronze", the similar spell that's just like light armor.

How would you shift things around, then, for this character build?

Comment

I suppose you could use a the Key of Mastery hearthstone to count ISoB as a second control spell and get [essence] extra soak when the spell is inactive (which I don't think counts as armour) but that's a lot of extra investment for a couple of bonus points of soak.

Comment

Working...
                              X