Searing Wisdom (Orichalcum/Red Jade Longfang ***) [Version 3]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searing Wisdom (Orichalcum/Red Jade Longfang ***) [Version 3]

This is my third attempt at making this artifact. It was actually the FIRST artifact I ever made but I've gone back and redesigned it as I improved my skills. This is my newest attempt after reading Arms of the Chosen and deciding to buff it up a bit. I’m on the fence about whether this is Artifact 3 or 4. I know how rare feedback is on this forum so I don’t expect much, but I’ll take whatever you guys can give. I might go back and update my artifact creation guide if it feels like I hit the mark here. Thanks!

(For those curious, here's Version 1 and Version 2)

Searing Wisdom (Orchalcum/Red Jade Longfang ****)

Backstory (cut because it hasn't changed in any version I've made)
    Just before the Shogunate age, a great kingdom spanned the jungles of the south. The Zandalari were a tribal people who worshipped animal gods and elementals who protected their lands. Through an ancient pact, the shaman of the tribe channeled the prayers of millions to these fierce spirits, who in turn empowered and facilitated the artifacts that made Zandalar an arcane paradise. Savants from everywhere came to study from the works these spirits forged through working in tandem.

Zul’maka, a Twilight and a brilliant smith from the Zandalari tribes, apprenticed herself to the ifrit Jin’rokh, the Burning Name, to learn the secrets of fire and sorcery. After years of study, Zul’maka set her accumulated knowledge to task and forged a great spear as a gift for the sorcerer chief of the Zandalari.

The orichalcum that made the shaft of the blade was created in magical suspension, the sorcerous essence that infused every fiber of it untainted by mortal hands before it was forged. Leveraging her teacher’s wisdom, Zul’maka whispered secrets in the incomprehensible language of the Ifrits and his words became engraved along its length. The red jade spearhead was taken as close as Zul’maka could get to the elemental pole of fire, a journey that took her a year, and buried in the molten earth. For 3 days, the twilight fought off primal fire elementals defending their land as the spearhead tempered. Finally, after returning to Zandalari, she bound the shaft to the spearhead with 3 strands of hair from her master Jin’rokh’s head, as he granted his blessing upon the weapon.

The Zandalari chief never received Searing Wisdom, as the war between the Solars and the Dragon-Blooded began that very morning and Zandalar was annihilated. Jin’rokh saved the longfang from the battle and has kept watch over it until a worthy apprentice could prove equal it its use.

Searing Wisdom is a Red Jade and Orichalcum Longfang that also acts as a sorcerous channel. It has two hearthstone sockets along the shaft. Those who are initiated into sorcery will make the best use of this artifact.

Evocations of Searing Wisdom
    By touching the red jade head of the spear to any open flame, the exalt awakens Searing Wisdom, causing the spearhead to begin to glow as hot coals. This occurs regardless of intent and can even trigger by accident should circumstances warrant. Once awakened, Searing Wisdom will begin to gather Heat (H) and can interact with Evocations.

At the beginning of each round as the Heat level rises, the tip of the longfang increases in brightness similarly to an anima banner, beginning the round after activation at Glowing and confers the same penalties to Stealth. Additionally, higher levels of Heat will begin to threaten its wielder as it gathers more power than was meant for mortal hands. Heat levels (H) have the following effects:
    • Heat 1 - as Glowing Anima
    • Heat 2 - as Burning Anima
    • Heat 3 - as Bonfire Anima
    • Heat 4 - the shaft of the direlance begins to glow with heat
    • Heat 5 - deals 1 die of decisive lethal damage per round to the wielder that ignores Hardness. This damage increases by 1 die with each new level of Heat above 5
    • Heat 10 - Searing Wisdom evaporates water at a graze and turns the earth itself to molten slag at a touch. Natural means of extinguishing the flame will no longer work, relying on evocations, or some other appropriately significant magical influence. If ever dropped, the longfang would melt its way into the depths of Creation, potentially becoming lost forever.
    To slow Heat gathering, (H) may be expended on evocations. Additionally, at any time the exalt may reflexively spend Heat levels to enhance a Withering attack adding (H) non-charm dice to the raw damage. If the full level of Heat is expelled (0), Searing Wisdom will return to Glowing (1) the following round and continue heating up.

Heat gathering can only be stopped entirely through the evocation Incantation Ignition, or by extinguishing the tip of Searing Wisdom. This can be accomplished either by smothering it in the earth, dousing it in water, or other similar actions, and then leaving it there for 1 full round. Doing so sets the Heat level back to Dim (0). This must be done prior to Heat level 10, or else nothing short of Incantation Ignition will extinguish it.

Resonant wielders gain the evocation Blazing Augury for free upon attunement.

Blazing Augury
    Cost: 1wp Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisites: None

By expending a point of Willpower, the exalt can awaken Searing Wisdom without the need for flame. Searing Wisdom will begin to gain Heat beginning instantly at Glowing.

Additionally, this evocation makes it so whenever the exalt hits with a successful Decisive attack, Searing Wisdom generates 1 Heat.

Incantation Ignition
    Cost: 5m, +H Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Resonant
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisites: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, Blazing Augury

With the spearhead blazing, the contained sorcerous energy of Searing Wisdom causes the orichalcum shaft to hum almost musically. With a mighty gesture of the spear, this power is unleashed in a spectacular display of the exalt’s sorcery.

Incantation Ignition enhances a Shape Sorcery action, adding (Essence x H) sorcerous motes to the exalt’s sorcery pool. This consumes all levels of Heat that Searing Wisdom contains. After activating Incantation Ignition, the Heat level of Searing Wisdom is set to Dim and the spearhead extinguishes itself becoming instantly cool to the touch.

If a spell enhanced by Incantation Ignition is directed against someone marked by Scalding Rune, the exalt adds (H) automatic successes to the attack roll of the spell.

Resonant: The resonant exalt may activate Blazing Augury reflexively immediately after extinguishing Searing Wisdom when completing their spell.

Scalding Rune
    Cost: 3m, 2i Mins: Essence 1
    Keywords: Withering, Resonant
    Duration: End of next turn
    Prerequisites: Blazing Augury

Searing Wisdom must be generating Heat to use this evocation. The exalt uses the burning tip to carve an arcane rune into the body of their foe. Foes so marked have (H) soak subtracted from themselves, as it sears the target’s skin and clothing, or superheats their armor. The mark lasts until the end of the exalt’s next turn, at which point, the rune fades and the subtracted soak is restored. Multiple uses of this evocation on the same target do not stack but can renew the duration. Being marked by Scalding Rune can interact with other evocations of Searing Wisdom.

Additionally, when Scalding Rune is used against a sorcerer who is actively shaping sorcery, it annihilates (H) sorcerous motes from their pool.

Resonant: The exalt may spend a willpower to extend the duration to one scene.

Horoscopic Leech
    Cost: 1m, 1H Mins: Essence 1
    Prerequisites: Ghost Eating Technique

Spirits are tied to the occult and a sorcerer may turn their spirit-foes into fuel for their spells. This evocation supplements its prerequisite, allowing the harvested motes to become stored sorcerous motes. This counts as a shape sorcery action. If the spirit is killed via this evocation, the exalt gains H additional sorcerous motes, calculated before the cost of the evocation.

Torrid Dialect
    Cost: 3m, 1H Mins: Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisites: Ancient Tongue Understanding

Spirits of Fire know the work of their masters, and Searing Wisdom was born from the blessings of Jin’Rokh, an ancient and wise Ifrit Lord. Searing Wisdom bestows a degree of the same respect and reverence upon the Solar wielder.

Searing Wisdom must be gathering Heat to use Torrid Dialect, which upon activation allows the Solar to both understand and be understood by any spirit whose purview includes fire. Additionally, the Solar is treated as the subject of a Defining Tie of Respect by any such spirits who can perceive the exalt and the blazing longfang they wield. Finally, the exalt gains (H) non-charm bonus dice to social influence roles over such spirits.

Should Searing Wisdom be extinguished, Torrid Dialect will immediately end.

Conflagration Prestidigitation
    Cost: 5m (+H) Mins: Essence 2
    Prerequisites: Scalding Rune

The stolen power of the Pole of Fire rages within the jade spearhead, yearning for release. This evocation can only be activated if Searing Wisdom’s Heat level is at 2+. With a thrust of the mighty spear, the exalt expends Heat levels and sends a wall of flame in a straight line from her position, stretching out and upwards 1 range band. If the spear is thrown, this evocation can be activated from the point where it lands, creating the wall from its origin.

Anyone in the path of the wall of fire may roll (Wits + Dodge) at difficulty (expended Heat + 1) to avoid getting caught in it. Once the wall has formed, it has the stats of a bonfire. All walls of fire are extinguished if the Heat level of Searing Wisdom is reduced to Dim.

If a sorcerer with gathered sorcerous motes takes damage from a fire wall, (expended H) sorcerous motes are burned away from them. If the Heat level is at 3+, the wielder may expend 1 level of Heat to gain the sorcerous motes lost from any sorcerer from this evocation.

If a target is already marked by Scalding Rune when they take damage from Conflagration Prestidigitation, they roll against the bonfire damage twice and take the worst of the two rolls.

Smoldering Focus
    Cost: 1a+ Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: Resonant
    Duration: One Round
    Prerequisites: Blazing Augury

Through immense concentration and communion with Searing Wisdom, the fire is withheld for a short time. By expending a level of their anima, the exalt may may pause the progression of gaining Heat for one round. Extra levels of anima spend in the cost of Smoldering Focus may shed the longfang’s flames, reducing the Heat of the weapon by 1H per 1a.

If Searing Wisdom’s Heat is reduced to 0 via Smoldering Focus, the spear is extinguished and reset to dim.

Resonant: The exalt reduces the Heat of the weapon by 2H per 1a.

Brimstone Discharge
    Cost: 5m, 1wp, 5H+ Mins: Essence 3
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive
    Duration: Special
    Prerequisites: Conflagration Prestidigitation

Thrusting the fiery spear into the earth, the exalt lets out an inferno of flame that devastates the surroundings. This evocation creates a special Decisive attack that attacks all targets out to short range. Searing Wisdom must be at 5 Heat or higher to activate Brimstone Discharge. The exalt rolls a single attack roll, applying the result to all targets in short range. Initiative is divided evenly among all victims with the full current Heat getting added to each damage pool. If a target is marked by Scaling Rune, add (Essence) to the damage pool for that target.

All targets in range regardless of whether they were hit or not, must also contend with an environmental hazard as a bonfire rages within the affected zone. The damage of the bonfire is equal to the Heat of the attack. The exalt is immune to this hazard so long as they hold on to Searing Wisdom.

Any sorcerers within range of this evocation who are gathering sorcerous motes have those motes immediately annihilated, resetting any spell they may have been shaping. This does not impact motes stored via artifacts, merits, or sorcerous initiations.

Brimstone Discharge expends all Heat stored in the weapon and extinguishes Searing Wisdom, setting it to Dim. This evocation can only be used once per scene unless reset by reigniting and extinguishing Searing Wisdom again.

Burning Cantrip
    Cost: 10m, 1wp Mins: Essence 4
    Duration: Special
    Prerequisites: Brimstone Discharge, Smoldering Focus

The master of Searing Wisdom knows that knowledge of the arcane does not preclude knowledge of the battlefield: they are one and the same. For the duration of this evocation, the exalt becomes immune to the damage caused by dangerously high levels of Heat. Activating Burning Cantrip enhances other evocations of the longfang:
    • Blazing Augury allows successful Withering attacks to generate 1 level of Heat instantly. If Burning Cantrip is activated in tandem, wave the activation cost of Blazing Augury.
    • Incantation Ignition no longer deactivates Heat generation after use. When the Heat level resets to Dim it will continue to gain Heat each round.
    • Scalding Rune’s mark increases its soak reduction to (Hx2)
    • Conflagration Prestidigitation may be reflexively empowered by spending a single level of Heat to extend the fire walls an extra range band in length or in height. This also applies to pre-existing walls.
    • Brimstone Discharge gathers 1 sorcerous mote for every point of damage dealt as a shape sorcery action.
    When enhanced with Burning Cantrip, Heat gathering can only be deactivated by terminating Burning Augury via Smoldering Focus or Brimstone Discharge which ends this evocation immediately.

Afterwards, the longfang goes dormant and is unable to generate Heat. It requires a week to recover after using this evocation before awakening again. This evocation can only be used once per story unless reset by gaining a blessing placed upon Searing Wisdom from an Ifrit lord or other similarly powerful spirit of fire in person.
    Last edited by The Unsung Hero; 12-05-2017, 02:55 PM.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Single bump for visibility and hopefully some feedback, then I'll let it die.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I'm a big fan of all of your artifacts, Unsung Hero. I thought the idea of a sorcerous spear was cool back when this artifact was still called Torrid Omen, and I'm really happy to see that you've expanded the weapon into something that I could easily see one of my characters wielding throughout an entire game. The first three Evocations definitely create a distinct feeling and bring a lot of flavor to the weapon, and that Charm upgrade is just the icing on the Essence 1 cake!

Conflagration Prestidigitation is a cool battlefield effect power, and feels totally in line with a magic-enhancing weapon. The fact that it's reflexive makes it one heck of a combo-finisher.

I enjoy the reset for the final Evocation. It opens up a lot of options to players, and I think that an open-ended reset is a great idea!

Have you thought about taking a look at the Affable Crag Leaves, by chance? I love the concept behind them, but with only three Evocations there is a bit of a dead zone.

Comment

Originally posted by KymmetheSeventh View Post
        I'm a big fan of all of your artifacts, Unsung Hero. I thought the idea of a sorcerous spear was cool back when this artifact was still called Torrid Omen, and I'm really happy to see that you've expanded the weapon into something that I could easily see one of my characters wielding throughout an entire game. The first three Evocations definitely create a distinct feeling and bring a lot of flavor to the weapon, and that Charm upgrade is just the icing on the Essence 1 cake!

Conflagration Prestidigitation is a cool battlefield effect power, and feels totally in line with a magic-enhancing weapon. The fact that it's reflexive makes it one heck of a combo-finisher.

I enjoy the reset for the final Evocation. It opens up a lot of options to players, and I think that an open-ended reset is a great idea!

Have you thought about taking a look at the Affable Crag Leaves, by chance? I love the concept behind them, but with only three Evocations there is a bit of a dead zone.
        Thank you for the kind words!

Honestly Horoscopic Leech was a last minute addition. I had an object-destroying power but it felt very out of place with the weapon. I realized I wanted more occult angles in here so I went hunting through the occult tree to see what I could find. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

I'll be honest, I think I overlooked the fact that Conflagration Prestidigitation was Reflexive. I'm not sure if I'd keep it that way if I were redesigning it or if I'd maybe just limit it to a single wall of fire per round. Maybe it's Heat cost is prohibitive enough.

Oddly enough, I WAS looking at Affable Crag Leaves just yesterday. I'm currently struggling a lot with the power levels of it. It feels very powerful right out of the gate and I'm debating whether I want to keep it a lower level artifact or if it's just secretly wanting to be Artifact 5. Based on the new numbering system it's definitely at least an Artifact 4, based on the way it wants you to change the way you fight in combat. I'll be sure to share it when I get it together, but probably won't be until next week.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Comment

Working...
        X