Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the "Five Suns Battle"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about the "Five Suns Battle"

    Hello folks!
    Just found in the Arms of Chosen book the reference of the so called "Five Suns War".
    The reference appear in the Artifact "Horizon Endeavor" pag. 131 with the following sentence:

    "Laughing Mirror wove fate to reshape
    the rivers of Diamond Grass Province so that Horizon
    Endeavor could fight at the Battle of Five Suns"


    Can anyone help me figuring out what this battle was about and when?

  • #2
    Like many of the things referenced in Arms, I don't think there's any canon version of what this battle was about.

    From the name, I'm guessing a five-way war between Solars, or a battle between a circle of Solars and a powerful foe.


    If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!
    Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
    I do maps for your games!
    Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Andreabertocci View Post

      Can anyone help me figuring out what this battle was about and when?
      It's whatever you want it to be. Part of 3E's design philosophy is to keep dropping references to places and events that are undefined so that Creation always seems ever-vast, and it can keep expanding even as specific kingdoms and events are better defined through the gameline moving forward.

      I'm definitely leaning toward a five way conflict between powerful Solars.
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-05-2018, 02:35 AM.


      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe it was some mad sorcerer's attempt to create a simulacrum of the Unconquered Sun, resulting in 5 weak (relative to the actual UCS) copies. Each one is flawed in a single virtue, and missing the corresponding symbol and arm, but for the last who is a virtueless monster, a great serpent of molten obsidian. With these creations the sorcerer went to war with creation. The end.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Meeuw View Post
          Maybe it was some mad sorcerer's attempt to create a simulacrum of the Unconquered Sun, resulting in 5 weak (relative to the actual UCS) copies. Each one is flawed in a single virtue, and missing the corresponding symbol and arm, but for the last who is a virtueless monster, a great serpent of molten obsidian. With these creations the sorcerer went to war with creation. The end.
          Must admit i also went with a "battle alternate suns" instead of battle solars take of the title, but then i'm kind of a nut for this legend and mixing bits of it in the setting's lore in every edition of the game. Also, far from the only mythology to touch on the idea of multiple suns.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 01-05-2018, 01:54 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Ink Monkeys articles had the idea that the god had a trial based on needing to slay a number of false suns and all.

            Isn't there a reference somewhere else in Arms to some kind of evil suns or stars from the Wyld?


            I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              The Ink Monkeys articles had the idea that the god had a trial based on needing to slay a number of false suns and all.

              Isn't there a reference somewhere else in Arms to some kind of evil suns or stars from the Wyld?

              The Not A Gundam warstrider fought some Devil Stars.


              I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Epee102 View Post


                The Not A Gundam warstrider fought some Devil Stars.
                Is that on Ink Monkeys or in Arms of the Chosen? Would like to read that and the stuff Isator mentioned too if one can reference that.

                Random aside, maybe it's just my head playing tricks on me, but i'm under a bit of the impression that "devil" in the context of Exalted, tends to be used to imply "person that makes itself as a humanmade demon", while stars, rightly or wrongly, makes me think of sidereals, gone rogue or transcending into something different. Does that make sense to you people?
                Last edited by Baaldam; 01-05-2018, 08:44 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's in Arms of the Chosen. One of the legendary deeds of Ascendant Nova Phoenix, the N/A warstrider that's a Gundam (as opposed to the N/A warstrider that's an EVA), is cited as "driving the renegade devil-stars back to their lairs in the firmament."

                  There are hints in a bunch of Ink Monkeys material that there's a lot of Weird Shit going on in the domain of the stars; for this reason, for example, exist the aurichim and argentim from Glories of the Most High: Maidens. I am one hundred and ten percent down with "the stars were a bunch of uppity pricks back in the day and needed a solid telling-off (and, you know, might again in this fallen Age)." Or, to steal from Blake:

                  When the stars threw down their spears
                  And watered heaven with their tears


                  Glorious Solar Kitten

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                    Random aside, maybe it's just my head playing tricks on me, but i'm under a bit of the impression that "devil" in the context of Exalted, tends to be used to imply "person that makes itself as a humanmade demon", while stars, rightly or wrongly, makes me think of sidereals, gone rogue or transcending into something different. Does that make sense to you people?
                    In 3e, "devil" is simply a term for someone or something one considers monstrous or evil. It can also be used in a more technical sense to indicate a malefic entity of unknown provenance.
                    Last edited by Eric Minton; 01-05-2018, 09:26 PM.


                    Developer for Exalted.

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      some Devil Stars.
                      ​Yes yes; I thought it might be Tyrant Suns, but then remembered that was Superman, then that it might be Ghoul Stars, but that's in Warhammer.

                      ​You can get some weird things from the idea of some kind of malevolent sun or stars. That one episode of Doctor Who (that I know of) where it kept possessing people and asking others to burn with it. Then there's this motherfucker:



                      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                        ​Yes yes; I thought it might be Tyrant Suns, but then remembered that was Superman, then that it might be Ghoul Stars, but that's in Warhammer.

                        ​You can get some weird things from the idea of some kind of malevolent sun or stars. That one episode of Doctor Who (that I know of) where it kept possessing people and asking others to burn with it. Then there's this motherfucker:

                        Isn't there a Cold WAr movie from the USSR about an intelliegnet star?...no thats planet. I know they showed up in a Sandman story.
                        Also wasn't the Tyrant Sun The Conquered Sun in shards?


                        I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                          The Ink Monkeys articles had the idea that the god had a trial based on needing to slay a number of false suns and all.

                          Isn't there a reference somewhere else in Arms to some kind of evil suns or stars from the Wyld?
                          Nine false suns, based off of the tale of solar birds and Houyi the Archer from Chinese tradition.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                            In 3e, "devil" is simply a term for someone or something one considers monstrous or evil. It can also be used in a more technical sense to indicate a malefic entity of unknown provenance.
                            Thanks for clearing it up, must admit some of that thinking of minne was heavily slanted by 2e lore (Righteous Devil, Devil-Tigers & some other stuff i can't quite remember rright now, i would guess).

                            Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post

                            Nine false suns, based off of the tale of solar birds and Houyi the Archer from Chinese tradition.
                            Good to know - would you remember which Ink Monkeys article mentions that?
                            Last edited by Baaldam; 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That's in The Daystar, in a sidebar called Selected Labors of the Sun.


                              Glorious Solar Kitten

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X