Welcome to Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Exalted?

So I will be running an Exalted game for some players. Some are experienced and other know nothing. So I wanted to make a "Welcome to Exalted" packet. My question what basic worldly knowledge should I include in about a one-page introduction. I need ideas!

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

EXALTED is set in the world of CREATION, a flat earth floating on a sea of chaos. Over a thousand years ago, it was ruled by the SOLAR EXALTED, people Chosen of the Unconquered Sun and gifted with power and glory, together with their partners, the LUNAR EXALTED, protean shapeshifters and the Chosen of Luna. But the Solars bear a GREAT CURSE from ancient enemies, causing their rule to become decadent, corrupt, and mad. In despair, the SIDEREAL EXALTED, Chosen of the Maidens of Destiny, conspired with the DRAGON-BLOODED, Chosen of the Elemental Dragons, to overthrow the mad Solars and save Creation. They succeeded in their USURPATION, but at a terrible cost and great diminishment of Creation. The Unconquered Sun turned his face from the world, in shame and despair, while the Lunar Exalted fled to the chaos beyond the edges of the world.

For hundreds of years now, Creation has been dominated by the REALM, lead by the SCARLET EMPRESS. A nation of the Dragon-blooded, the Realm is the boot pressing on the neck of the world, extracting food and coin to allow it's chosen few lives of unrivaled luxury - but it is also only the Realm which has had the power to keep the barbarians from the gates, the dead confined to the Underworld, and the armies of the Fair Folk at bay. It is also the Realm which has kept forth the WYLD HUNT; a ceaseless purge against anything which threatens the rule of the Dragon-blooded, and which has ruthlessly culled the few Solars whom have arisen since the end of the First Age.

Five years ago, the Scarlet Empress vanished. The Realm trembles; the Great Houses recall armies from satrapies in anticipation of a civil war for the vacant throne. The dead stream from SHADOWLANDS, led by the ABYSSAL EXALTED, individuals seemingly chosen by monstrously powerful ghost-kings known only as the DEATHLORDS. Barbarian armies surge forth, inspired by the Lunar Exalted to avenge and destroy the Realm for the ancient crime of the Usurpation. And now, when the Wyld Hunt falters for the first time in hundreds of years, the Solars return in numbers not seen since the Usurpation.

Into this savage world, you are one of the Solar Exalted, Chosen by the Unconquered Sun. Heirs to a lost golden age, you are granted incredible power to use as you best see fit.

Each Solar belongs to one of five CASTES;
    The DAWN; warriors and generals of the Exalted without peer.
    The ZENITH; priest-kings and inspiring leaders of men.
    The TWILIGHT; scholars, doctors and sorcerers of matchless potential.
    The NIGHT; spies, criminals, and assassins spoken of only in whisper.
    The ECLIPSE; world-walkers and treaty-sealers, who carry a diplomat's freedom in the courts of demon princes and the halls of the dead as easily as the dominions of mortal potentates.

What legends will they tell of your deeds?

My Storyteller Vault releases!
    Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
    These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Probably should outline some basic mechanics too.

The divine might of the chosen is represented by CHARMS. These magical effects are powered by ESSENCE. They may also influence the world through SORCERY and by communing with magical weapons called ARTIFACTS to unlock EVOCATIONS.

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
        EXALTED is set in the world of CREATION, a flat earth floating on a sea of chaos. Over a thousand years ago, it was ruled by the SOLAR EXALTED, people Chosen of the Unconquered Sun and gifted with power and glory, together with their partners, the LUNAR EXALTED, protean shapeshifters and the Chosen of Luna. But the Solars bear a GREAT CURSE from ancient enemies, causing their rule to become decadent, corrupt, and mad. In despair, the SIDEREAL EXALTED, Chosen of the Maidens of Destiny, conspired with the DRAGON-BLOODED, Chosen of the Elemental Dragons, to overthrow the mad Solars and save Creation. They succeeded in their USURPATION, but at a terrible cost and great diminishment of Creation. The Unconquered Sun turned his face from the world, in shame and despair, while the Lunar Exalted fled to the chaos beyond the edges of the world.

For hundreds of years now, Creation has been dominated by the REALM, lead by the SCARLET EMPRESS. A nation of the Dragon-blooded, the Realm is the boot pressing on the neck of the world, extracting food and coin to allow it's chosen few lives of unrivaled luxury - but it is also only the Realm which has had the power to keep the barbarians from the gates, the dead confined to the Underworld, and the armies of the Fair Folk at bay. It is also the Realm which has kept forth the WYLD HUNT; a ceaseless purge against anything which threatens the rule of the Dragon-blooded, and which has ruthlessly culled the few Solars whom have arisen since the end of the First Age.

Five years ago, the Scarlet Empress vanished. The Realm trembles; the Great Houses recall armies from satrapies in anticipation of a civil war for the vacant throne. The dead stream from SHADOWLANDS, led by the ABYSSAL EXALTED, individuals seemingly chosen by monstrously powerful ghost-kings known only as the DEATHLORDS. Barbarian armies surge forth, inspired by the Lunar Exalted to avenge and destroy the Realm for the ancient crime of the Usurpation. And now, when the Wyld Hunt falters for the first time in hundreds of years, the Solars return in numbers not seen since the Usurpation.

Into this savage world, you are one of the Solar Exalted, Chosen by the Unconquered Sun. Heirs to a lost golden age, you are granted incredible power to use as you best see fit.

Each Solar belongs to one of five CASTES;
        The DAWN; warriors and generals of the Exalted without peer.
        The ZENITH; priest-kings and inspiring leaders of men.
        The TWILIGHT; scholars, doctors and sorcerers of matchless potential.
        The NIGHT; spies, criminals, and assassins spoken of only in whisper.
        The ECLIPSE; world-walkers and treaty-sealers, who carry a diplomat's freedom in the courts of demon princes and the halls of the dead as easily as the dominions of mortal potentates.

What legends will they tell of your deeds?

that is great, but it leads me to a follow up question. To help the role playing aspect should i take this and put it into a view of the common man for the new players? The new players don't have much a back story except that they just exalted and the exp players will be (in the story) picking them up and putting them under their wing.

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

It's important to figure out where your game is set and focus on preparation for a game in that locale. Prepping players for a game set "in Creation" is like prepping players for a modern-day game set "on Earth"; the scope is too large to provide useful information.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahod View Post

that is great, but it leads me to a follow up question. To help the role playing aspect should i take this and put it into a view of the common man for the new players? The new players don't have much a back story except that they just exalted and the exp players will be (in the story) picking them up and putting them under their wing.

I mean- that kind of ties into Minton's comment. The 'common man' who is an on-the-run scion of a Dynastic house will have a very different view of things than a former Guild merchant, and neither will have much in common with a gladitorial slave, mercenary captain, exiled noble, etcetcetc.

Where is your game gonna be set? Are the newer folks locals to that area, or recently arrived? And are there any other organizations that especially bear mentioning cause you plan on using them (e.g. the Guild, etc)?

My Storyteller Vault releases!
            Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
            These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

show them the 1d4chan page for exalted: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Exalted

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                show them the 1d4chan page for exalted: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Exalted
                Well normally anything with the title that includes 4 and Chan I avoid, but that wiki is hilarious. If I ever run a throw away game of Exalted where we all get drunk and play, this is what I’ll show people.

Craft rewrite.
                Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

We have fun and games. (Sorry that was bugging me)

Anyway, my advice would be to tell them what wastevens said and then go to the 3e corebook and pull out the overviews of the different directions and tell them that, ask which sounds coolest, and then do a Q&A session where you figure out where the game is going to be set. Then, once you have that, figure out what the locals will know (the experienced people can be from elsewhere, but the new people should prolly be local so they need to know less stuff) and tell that to the new players.

Also, find out if anyone really wants to be something particular and factor that into both where you start the game and where the game is going. You may have to tell them No, you can't be a pirate captain, because everyone else wanted to start near Gem and there's no water there, but it's better to get all this figured out now when you can still change things rather than having people be annoyed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                    It's important to figure out where your game is set and focus on preparation for a game in that locale. Prepping players for a game set "in Creation" is like prepping players for a modern-day game set "on Earth"; the scope is too large to provide useful information.
                    Yeah, I think this is pretty key.
                    What's "basic knowledge" is quite varied. I mean, you can definitely tell them it's a flat world with elemental poles, and that there are tons of gods, both mighty and petty.

ut in terms of history, politics and culture, you probably want to focus on where the game is set. For example, if it's in the deep south, you can probably just say "the Realm is a far-off land of riches and wonders ruled by powerful and decadent aristocrats with the blood of elemental dragons (btw, these are Chinese-style dragons, not western ones)". But if the game is set in the Scavenger Lands, you probably want to big up the Realm and how they really want to conquer the Scavenger Lands.
                    Similarly, if the game is set in, say, Whitewall, you probably need to explain ghosts and how they work (for example, the two kinds, shadowlands, etc), and the same for Fair Folk, but if the game is set in Lap, it's not such a big deal.

Also, consider how much you want them to know in-character.

I mean, you can tell them Solars are evil demons who possess humans and are the sworn enemies of the righteous Dragonblood, then have them all exalt as Solars. Which, from a roleplaying perspective is fine. But it's awkward for making characters. So it depends on you and your players.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

In general, I'd advise against too much emphasis on the setting's ancient history. If you sell players on the setting by talking up the Divine Revolution and the First Age, they'll feel that the whole point of play is to bring back the wonders of the First Age. If you sell players on the setting by talking up the Usurpation, they'll feel that the whole point of play is to get revenge on the Dragon-Blooded because the long-dead ancestors of the Dragon-Blooded killed their former incarnations over a thousand years ago. These are useful setting elements, but it's my opinion that prioritizing them over the conflicts of the Time of Tumult sells the current-day setting short.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

With one of my potential players I actually gave the option on explaining the setting either through the vein of "Here's the setting history, odds are your character won't know 90% of this because most of the world doesn't remember this stuff." or "Here's the world as most characters are likely to know or be able to deduce from known evidence. Like despite what the immaculate order says you're probably feeling pretty sure that you aren't some sort of demon monster hellbent on ruining the world."

Comment

I usually just write up a rough pitch of where the game will be set (pretty much copy-pasting the relevant paragraphs from the core's setting chapter) and what the characters are supposed to be doing. I'm also in favor of extended mortal prologues which introduce players to basic mechanical and setting conceits (the one I ran for my current group went for 8 sessions). No player ever reads a setting document.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                          Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Maybe adding something like the list in this thread? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...st-of-creation

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                              No player ever reads a setting document.
                              I guess you haven't met anyone into culture gamining.

Then, it isn't helping that most attempts on a setting document apparently tend to look as if the writer was trying to obfuscate the actual information in a wall of text, and by making it as tedious as possible to read.

Comment

Working...
                              X