[White Elephant for Valles] Gown of Flame; Armor of Light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [White Elephant for Valles] Gown of Flame; Armor of Light

Valles wanted a pretty dress of smoke and flame, as well as a suit of armor befitting a white knight.

Dancing Moth’s Gown (Red Jade Dress, Artifact * * * *)
    During the bloody chaos of the Shogunate, things of beauty were eschewed in favor of practical, violent things. Dancing Moth looked upon this brutal, ugly world, and she sighed. Then, a spark revealed how she could make something beautiful and dangerous.

The songs tell of Dancing Moth, who wore a gown of red and flame. Who danced within the halls of the Shoguns, who drew them in close with warmth of face, of body, and of fire. Who burned alive those who challenged her family’s authority. Dancing Moth’s treachery caught up with her, though, and that family now holds it. House Tepet claims ancestral ownership of it, while House Peleps claims practical ownership.

The Gown itself is of silk intertwined with the most delicate threads of red jade, producing a brilliant hot red color. While heavy for a dress, the trace amount of jade within it is not enough to provide the benefits of armor. The threads form a pattern of circles reminiscent of the eyes of moths’ wings.

Evocations of Dancing Moth’s Gown

Attunement to the Gown costs 5 motes, and provides (Essence) bonus dice to any seduction attempt.

Fluttering Hem Fire
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Resonant
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisites: None
    The hem of the Gown flickers like fire, drawing the eye. While the wearer is in motion, onlookers focus less on their defenses. During a single social influence roll, this Evocation increases the intensity of Intimacies toward the wearer or toward beautiful things.
    Resonant: May spend +1wp upon activation to extend Duration to One Scene

Burning Touch Desire
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
    Keywords: Dissonant, Uniform
    Prerequisites: Fluttering Hem Fire
    Those who watch the Gown in motion want to touch the beautiful, fiery patterns. When they do, they are burned—and want only to touch it again. While in combat, if the wearer has taken a movement action this turn (including Move), any foes that she attacks suffer a penalty to their Defense equal to the intensity of the Intimacy they have toward the wearer or to beautiful things, using the higher of the two.
    Dissonant: The penalty uses the lower of the two Intimacies.

Invitation to Inferno
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: None
    Prerequisites: Fluttering Hem Fire
    The wearer looks upon a foe with inviting eyes and a gesture with hand and swirl of gown. This is a persuade action made toward a foe within Short range. If successful, the target must take a Move action to draw close to the wearer. This effect may be resisted for 1wp.

Moth-Eye Distraction
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Essence 2
    Keywords: Dissonant, Resonant
    Prerequisites: Invitation to Inferno
    The wing-and-eye pattern of the Gown hypnotizes its viewers, encouraging them to remain in her presence with nary a word. This is a persuade action, that, if successful, convinces the targets to remain within Medium range of the wearer for the scene. If outside of this range already, the target must take Move actions to be within range as soon as possible. This may be resisted at any time on the target’s turn for 1wp. This action may be performed nonverbally at no penalty.
    Dissonant: The action must have a speaking component or suffer the usual nonverbal penalty.
    Resonant: The range is reduced to Short.

Moth-Wing Scintillation
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: None
    Prerequisites: Burning Touch Desire
    The wearer swirls the gown and shakes off wisps of black smoke, dotted with shimmering sparks, as she dances about. This Evocation creates an environmental hazard within Close range, and its effects linger in a range band for 1 round. The hazard deals 1 die of Bashing damage per turn, and imposes a -1 penalty to all combat and Awareness actions while within it.

Moth-and-Flame Union
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Essence 3
    Duration: One grapple
    Prerequisites: Moth-Eye Distraction, Moth-Wing Scintillation
    As the moths draw in, the flame of desirous destruction becomes only more beautiful. This is a persuade action that, if successful, forces the target to make a grapple attempt against the wearer. While she is grappled, the Gown erupts into flame, subjecting the target to bonfire-intensity environmental damage. If the grapple fails, the flames within the Gown burst outward, subjecting all creatures within Close to 4 dice of Lethal damage.
    Resonant: The burning heat of the Gown increases, subjecting grappled foes to lava-intensity environmental damage instead.

Moth-and-Spark Dance
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 3
    Duration: Scene
    Prerequisites: Moth-and-Flame Union
    Sparks fly, moths fly, and ashes fly. Giving the hem of the Gown a flourish, a pair of moth-wings flare into being. This enables the wearer the ability to fly, temporarily granting the 5-dot version of the Wings merit.
    Dissonant: Characters who are dissonant with Jade cannot awaken this Evocation.
    Resonant: Buoys of heat and flame lift targets of the Gown’s Evocations, allowing them to move through the air to obey the functions of the Evocations.
    Special Activation Rules: Slaying a nontrivial foe reflexively activates this Evocation at no cost.

Argent Paragon (Moonsilver Articulated Plate, Artifact * * * *)
    White Warrior breathed freely again as he watched the Fae flee from Creation, and as that terrible sickness was conquered through its people’s tenacity. Finally, they could rebuild. But in such times of weakness, even in the face of threatened extinction, there are villains. This was a chance to build Creation anew, a place of peace and harmony—a land of heroes. So White Warrior collected the surviving tales of heroes of the past and forged them into steel and moonsilver. He would wear their stories, and reenact them.

Argent Paragon is a suit of articulated Plate armor, very simple and sleek in appearance, with no adornments, filigrees, or designs upon the metal. Though it appears to be made of simple steel, it shines much too brightly to be just that, taking any light that catches it and making it whiter.

The Evocations of Argent Paragon work properly only while the White Warrior is on a quest, which is defined as a series of trials which lead to a single, simple, tangible goal. “Slay the dread necromancer of the Thrice-Crowned Peaks,” is a valid quest goal, as is “Return the sacred gem to the Convergence of Elements,” but “Convert the Realm Deliberative to incorporate Solar Exalted” is not.

While between quests, the Evocations of Argent Paragon all require an additional point of Willpower to use, as the White Warrior must dig deep into his own soul to relive, for a moment, the thrill of a quest.

Evocations of Argent Paragon

Attunement: Those who have never met the wearer of Argent Paragon interact with him as though they had a Minor Tie of admiration toward him—unless circumstances blatantly assert otherwise.

Walking Legend Invocation
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Essence 1
    Prerequisite: None
    White Warrior was well-versed in the names and deeds of heroes. Drawing on the living legends within his armor, the wearer may do the same. This Evocation allows for an Introduce Fact action for cultural heroes. If successful, he knows the Tie toward that hero for everyone present in that scene. Thereafter, he may use Read Intentions to learn their Tie with one automatic success, and may reroll dice equal to the extra successes on the roll.
    Dissonant: Use the lower of the wearer’s Essence or the number of extra successes.
    Resonant: Add the wearer’s Essence to the number of rerolled dice.

Assassin-Spurning Destiny
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
    Prerequisite: None
    White Warrior was a champion of virtue, shining with a pure light that purified those around him, even the criminal and larcenous. If the wearer is subjected to a poison, reduce the difficulty to it resist it by 1. If the poison was introduced through underhanded means, such as a drugged goblet or an unexpected attack, reduce the difficulty by 2 instead. Poisons whose difficulty is reduced to zero are ignored entirely.
    Dissonant: Only ambushes trigger the 2-point reduction.
    Resonant: If the difficulty to resist the poison becomes a negative number, it instead becomes a penalty for the would-be assassin. It has the same duration as the original poison.

Shield of Surety
    Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 2
    Prerequisite: Assassin-Spurning Destiny
    The Princes of the Fae delighted in the stories that White Warrior shared with them whenever his quests led him to their courts. However, when they tried to add their own touches to his living stories, he batted their meddling quills away. When subjected to a Shaping attempt, the wearer may apply his Soak value against it, removing dice from the pool on a one-to-one basis. However, for effects without dice pools, the Storyteller should mitigate the effect to an appropriate degree based on the difference in Essence.
    Dissonant: Shaping effects without a dice pool cannot be resisted.
    Resonant: Against diceless effects, roll Soak against the Essence of the effect’s source. Success enables the wearer to shrug off the effect.

Heroic Boast
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
    Prerequisite: Walking Legend Invocation
    Drawing on the legend of past accomplishments, White Warrior asserted his abilities and called for challenges to overcome. This is a persuade action that, if successful, reveals a difficulty within the local area that has been unsolvable—a quest! Simply by the wearer undertaking the quest, all members of the crowd gain an Intimacy of admiration to him—which may be resisted only with a Decision Point.

However, should the wearer fail in his quest, the hearts of his admirers sour, and the Intimacy becomes one of mistrust or contempt.

Resonant: If the wearer succeeds in his quest, any Intimacies toward him are increased by one level, also requiring a Decision Point to resist.

Purity of Purpose Stance
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 3
    Prerequisite: Assassin-Spurning Destiny, Heroic Boast
    There were those who thought to besmirch White Warrior’s valiance, that he undertook the quest for selfish reasons. Damned be their tongues for such lies. When the wearer proclaims his quest, those that hear him are impressed and think of him favorably. While the wearer is on his quest, those who think kindly of him receive a +1 bonus to Resolve against attempts to reduce their Tie toward him.

However, should the wearer fail in his quest, the bonus to Resolve becomes a penalty instead.

Resonant: If the wearer is successful in his quest, then this bonus lasts indefinitely, so long as the Intimacy remains intact.

Thousand-Faced Hero Mythos
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4
    Duration: One story
    Prerequisite: Purity of Purpose Stance, Shield of Surety

White Warrior adopted the mien of the heroes of every culture he visited, reawakened the heroism of old in the heart of the present. While motes are committed to this Evocation, the wearer is truly a blank canvas; however the cultural hero is perceived, he appears as that, on an individual basis. Actions that are blatantly out-of-character for the hero immediately terminate this Evocation, including revealing his true identity, which counts as failing his quest.

In addition, upon completing his quest and returning to the origin, the wearer’s player selects a Principle that summarizes the trials overcame. His triumphant return and subsequent heroic speech acts as a special instill action. If successful, Intimacies reflecting the chosen Principle increase by two levels.

The wearer must then leave sight as soon as possible and terminate commitment to this Evocation. Failure to do so causes those around him to become charged with heroic energy—every sunrise following the wearer’s return forces his player to roll (Essence + number of days) against the Resolve of those in the locale. If successful, it instills an Intimacy of zealous adventuring.

However, should the wearer, in the guise of a hero of legend, fail in his quest, the Storyteller selects a Principle reflecting the wearer’s reason for failure, which is now gained by those near the origin of the quest. In addition, some heroes may be still alive and upset that their legendary name has been tarnished.

This Evocation may only be activated once per story, and never on the same population in the same year. The Dawn Caste anima power cannot reset this.

Dissonant: The wearer must have a Defining Principle of heroism to awaken this Evocation.

Resonant: If the speech of triumph would raise the intensity of the individual’s or group average’s Principle above Defining, then it increases a Tie toward whichever hero the wearer appears to be by the number of remaining levels of intensity.
    Last edited by GreyEyes; 12-29-2017, 09:21 PM.

Burn Legend -- Advent of Yomi Wan http://burnlegend.blogspot.com/
    EX3 -- Dawn of Resurgent Sun https://resurgentsun.wordpress.com/

i may have missed it, but how much is attunement to the dress?
    For the resonant effect of assassin spurning destiny, what does the penalty apply to?

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Re: Attunement -- Whoops, I forgot to include it. It's 5 motes, and has been included in the main post. Thanks for catching that!
      Re: ASD penalty -- The penalty applies to all actions, as if it were a poison itself. It also has the same duration as the original poison (which I've added as well).

Burn Legend -- Advent of Yomi Wan http://burnlegend.blogspot.com/
      EX3 -- Dawn of Resurgent Sun https://resurgentsun.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this; I was hiding from the fact that I hadn't finished mine yet.

Dancing Moth's Gown

...Huh. This is... nothing like anything I'd've thought of for Yaris. Which is a good thing; character growth and all that.

So, lessee if I'm getting this straight... This one's designed to first amp up a particular intimacy, then to use social influence (possibly in combat, possibly not) to draw them closer, then finally to drop a PBAOE damage effect that escalates into a nasty melee one.

Vicious. I approve.

The visual of victims being drawn up into the sparks for the capstone is particularly cool.

Argent Paragon

Again, hhhuuuhh. It's... all narrative and stuff? Hmm.

Grab bag of 'annoying stuff bounces off goes "Ping"', useful, then...

...Escalating into I Am A Hero social-fu. Hmm. I'm... I think I'd need to try it out in play to decide how I felt about that. I can think of a couple angles where that'd fit well with the character I had in mind, but initial gut-feel response is 'enh'. Maybe too many memories of Desus.

Still, though, that's my baggage, not a problem with the concept. Absolutely solid ground for a character. Not neccessarily for the one I was aiming at, but if I minded that I should've given you more details (^_^)... And like I said, the final verdict would have to wait to try it.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Working...
        X