Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying a Demesne up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drying a Demesne up

    Hi there. In 2nd or 3rd Edition:

    Is it possible to dry a demesne up without causing its manse to explode? If its possible, what would happen to the building? If its a demesne with no manse capping it, what would happen to its environment?

    In my series we have a creature who eats massive amounts of Essence. I was planning to use it to drain an important manse, thats why Im asking.

    Thanks in advance for your answers and thoughts.

  • #2
    It's certainly possible if it's relevant to the story.

    It might be even scarier if nobody (or almost nobody) believes it to be possible!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Argonot View Post
      Hi there. In 2nd or 3rd Edition:

      Is it possible to dry a demesne up without causing its manse to explode? If its possible, what would happen to the building? If its a demesne with no manse capping it, what would happen to its environment?

      In my series we have a creature who eats massive amounts of Essence. I was planning to use it to drain an important manse, thats why Im asking.

      Thanks in advance for your answers and thoughts.
      What do you want to happen if that occurs? Meaning how much of a carrot to stick do you need to motivate your players to action.

      Ex3 is pretty sandbox in some regards. You do what works for your game.

      Comment


      • #4
        There's a reference in Oadenol's Codex to reducing a demesne, which causes Essence buildup only if you screw it up. The example given in the text was specifically to depower an important manse in which someone had forted up.


        Glorious Solar Kitten

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aretii View Post
          There's a reference in Oadenol's Codex to reducing a demesne, which causes Essence buildup only if you screw it up. The example given in the text was specifically to depower an important manse in which someone had forted up.
          I'm gonna take a look at that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KFinigan View Post

            What do you want to happen if that occurs?
            I still don't know. I was looking for a canon source to decide what to do from there on.

            Comment


            • #7
              The source handles manses, and by extension demesnes somewhat, as long lasting wonders. Many a first age manse is operational in the age of sorrows, often with little maintenance.

              You are left to extrapolate why a demesne is a demesne, and with it its lifespan. And, of course, what happens if and when it ends.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                The source handles manses, and by extension demesnes somewhat, as long lasting wonders. Many a first age manse is operational in the age of sorrows, often with little maintenance.

                You are left to extrapolate why a demesne is a demesne, and with it its lifespan. And, of course, what happens if and when it ends.
                So, I need to deal with that with house rules.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think uncapped demesnes ebb and flow naturally. Manses keep the demesne in place, so forcibly draining one might cause feedback or other effects.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Argonot View Post

                    I still don't know. I was looking for a canon source to decide what to do from there on.

                    Sorry, I'm not trying to cop out or be difficult. This seems to be one of those things that is intentionally left unclear so you as GM have freedom to hack the setting. I presume there is no guidance in Ask the Devs?

                    For me, if the conflict centred upon the desmesne not being wrecked is central to my story then I make the consequences as dire as I have to to get reaction.

                    Ultimately, if you allude to the outcome being an explosion of essence that lays waste to an area miles to 10s of miles to 100s of miles in radius and your PCs chose to let it happen in favour of some other objective so be it. They have agency, they are co-writing the story with you. However, when word gets around that they are willing for those consequences to happen reputations tend to suffer.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X