Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mundane Possessions as Merits?

Hi all,

I was running chargen with a new group yesterday, and one of them wants a ship for his character. Not an artefact, just a mundane, galleon-sized ship for him and his fellow slaves to have to flee persecution. I looked through the Merits and couldn't actually see any way of directly representing such a thing as a Merit (which I assume it would be, correct me if I'm wrong). For now, I've come up with the fudge that it and its upkeep are 3 dots in Resources, but Resources typically represents liquidity. Am I missing something? Is there a better way of representing large-scale physical property in Ex3, or is this a situation where Chapter Nine's "[c]haracters begin play with whatever possessions are appropriate for their concepts, within reason" should apply and he should get it for free?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

If a character invests in Sail, I’m generally willing to give them a mundane ship - especially if they also take Command to cover the crew.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      is this a situation where Chapter Nine's "[c]haracters begin play with whatever possessions are appropriate for their concepts, within reason" should apply and he should get it for free?
      ​Yes it is. Ships are useful, but hardly game-breaking in a way that should cause particular reservations about letting a character have one from the outset without a cost.

​Personally, I would be inclined towards the verisimilitude of "if you don't have sufficient Resources, then being the pilot or captain of the ship doesn't mean that you actually own it, and you have a measure of accountability to the owner (unless you're engaged in illegal activity with it)", but that's a detail that I imagine is obscure enough to most people and irrelevant to a lot of concepts and genre conventions that it can be let slide easily enough.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

As a house rule, I'd be willing to let a player take a "signature gear" thing, that gave them one item of significant value, which would come with a degree of "plot protection" (if they lost it, they'd tend to find it again, and as the ST, I'd agree not to arbitrarily target it for damage or destruction). I'd price that as 3 dots lower than the Resources required to buy it (minimum 1). So something like a galley, which I'd peg at a Resources 3, would cost 1 dot as a Signature Gear merit.

Comment

Quoth the rulebook (p578, "The Grand Panoply")
          The Resources Merit needn’t pay for all a starting
          character’s mundane equipment—a destitute former
          soldier may retain her arms and armor, while a pair of
          smugglers might have won their ship in a bet. Characters
          begin play with whatever possessions are appropriate for
          their concepts, within reason.

Comment

Most of the time the ship is probably going to be more like scenery than equipment. If that's the case, then make it free but an asset for the whole Circle. Maybe you can do an intro adventure where they gain control of the ship.

Another possibility is a ship-and-crew themed game. Borrowing from some popular recent sci-fi themed games, they can start off with a poorly equipped but special ship hull. Over the course of the game, they can build up the ship, or expand into a fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X