Blast from the past: Those strange exalts that never were

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast from the past: Those strange exalts that never were

Hi everyone. Long time forumites might remember that in the distant exalted past some weird stuff was mentioned, either in books or in the forum.

One of those cases was when we "learned" via book fragments in Alchemical related material (I think it was the second edition book), and some comments from, I think it was Nephilpal, that the Abyssal Exalted were kind of "imposters" that took the place of some "Apocalyptic Exalts" that never were... or something like that.

The other one that comes to mind is the strange case of the Heroic Exalts. They were mentioned in one of the outcomes from the Locust Crusade back in first edition. The ironic thing here is that Exigents share a tiny bit of conceptual space with them. I don't think one had drawn any inspiration on the other, but if I remember correctly, Heroic Exalts were unleashed by Autochthon as a kind of punishment over the Incarna "HERE, DEAL WITH A THOUSAND FREE EXALTATIONS THAT AREN'T ALIGNED TO ANY OF YOU".

Those were interesting concepts.

Do you remember any other past oddity? Do you have better memories than I do about these two cases?
    Last edited by Gonzo; 02-02-2018, 03:40 PM.

Join the Strife

I know Nephilpal mused briefly at one point about "The Apocalyptic Exalted, chosen of the Kukla," but "briefly" is understatement; what I just said is about as much wordcount as he spent on the idea here.

I want to say that he also mused on the idea of "lost" Exalted types (a la the Fallen Stars Memorial) by suggesting as an example a sort of Exalt who was Chosen from the offspring of mortals and rivers. He had a name for them, but I can't remember it for the life of me. He didn't go into details about what they were, so much as saying that the concept-level annihilation of the 3 Spheres Cataclysm destroyed the principles that allowed them to be conceived.

Again, he wasn't suggesting this particular sort of Exalt had ever existed, whether before the 3SC or after, so much as posing them as a thought exercise for how an Exalted type could be obliterated without compromising the supposed indestructibility of Exaltations; without the ability for new hosts to come into being, the Exaltations could no longer reincarnate.
    Last edited by Mockery; 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The insinuation of a lost exalt type came from the fact that the alchemical castes were supposed to be 'prototypes' of the different exalts. Orichalcum caste were solar prototypes, moonsilver for lunars etc. There never existed any exalt to match the soulsteel caste alchemical or the adamant caste.

Then again, now a days we've got liminal exalts and Getimians and the GSP sound like they're more closely associated with orichalcum than solars are. That is to say, solars are resonant with everything, not just orichalcum any more.

And also I'm like 95% sure that alchemical exalted are gonna be completely disassociated with other exalts in this edition. No template action there. If anything, their associations will more be based on the materials they're made of than anything else.

It's possible that they floated some of the ideas for the upcoming 'new' exalt types back in 2E but could never make them work with the wreckage that 2e was in by the time they called time of death for it.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

The demonic equivalents of lunars and sidereals that were hinted at in Shards fascinated me, but they don't look like they'll become a thing. And by " don't look like" I mean won't.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

There's a reference to stranger Exalted in the Gunstar chapter of Shards that was specifically intended as a respectful nod to the option of people to insert the Nocturnals.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I also remember reading "The Book of Three Circles", that was first edition, and reading for the first time "Infernal Exalted" and wonder if those would ever be a part of the game.

Speaking of the Bo3C, it also very briefly mentioned "The seven pillars of Creation", and how a character could potentially endanger all of Creation by destroying them. To my knowledge, said pillars were never ever mentioned again.

Join the Strife

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I also remember reading "The Book of Three Circles", that was first edition, and reading for the first time "Infernal Exalted" and wonder if those would ever be a part of the game.

Speaking of the Bo3C, it also very briefly mentioned "The seven pillars of Creation", and how a character could potentially endanger all of Creation by destroying them. To my knowledge, said pillars were never ever mentioned again.

Infernal sorcery as first described was rather fascinating as well. It's in Dukatha's write up, in Blood and salt.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                There's a reference to stranger Exalted in the Gunstar chapter of Shards that was specifically intended as a respectful nod to the option of people to insert the Nocturnals.
                It was not actually meant as any kind of reference to Nocturnals. If you want to use Nocturnals as nega-Sidereals, though, that's fine!

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Neph offered to put a Nocturnals reference into Alchemicals but the offer was turned down.

The lost Exalted that saw a lot of fan speculation were the Chosen of Pluto, the Sixth Maiden who supposedly didn't survive the Primordial War.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    It was not actually meant as any kind of reference to Nocturnals. If you want to use Nocturnals as nega-Sidereals, though, that's fine!

I think i was misremembering what Neph proposed for Alchemicals.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                      I know Nephilpal mused briefly at one point about "The Apocalyptic Exalted, chosen of the Kukla," but "briefly" is understatement; what I just said is about as much wordcount as he spent on the idea here.

I want to say that he also mused on the idea of "lost" Exalted types (a la the Fallen Stars Memorial) by suggesting as an example a sort of Exalt who was Chosen from the offspring of mortals and rivers. He had a name for them, but I can't remember it for the life of me. He didn't go into details about what they were, so much as saying that the concept-level annihilation of the 3 Spheres Cataclysm destroyed the principles that allowed them to be conceived.

Again, he wasn't suggesting this particular sort of Exalt had ever existed, whether before the 3SC or after, so much as posing them as a thought exercise for how an Exalted type could be obliterated without compromising the supposed indestructibility of Exaltations; without the ability for new hosts to come into being, the Exaltations could no longer reincarnate.
                      I think i remember that and i know for sure i used a similar idea for a major antagonist in a sidereals, a mad, mad being known as the "Speaker of Fireflies" that might be the terribly tormented last surviving remnant (according to itself) of a lost and forgotten brand of exalt, encircled by a veritable cloud of exaltations that hover around it as the last being in all cosmos to possess the unique heroic quality they seek but is aalreaady exalted and consequently taken. They haunt it forever with the memories of companions long lost in the Time Before History as it seeks through Creation, Wyld and beyond for a quality, any quality that will ggive them - and itself - companionship and/or respite in the form of new chosen.

My Sidereals game was chockfull of bizarre stuff for the PCs to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                      X