The Deathlords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​You know, that's not really very far off from actual Buddhism, at least in the sense of what it equates escape from reincarnation to.

​After all, at least in its original iteration, Buddhism states that desire for existence inevitably produces suffering, hence the spiritual state to aspire to is a form of existence devoid of awareness or consciousness.
    Not about Exalted, but...

It’s not desire itself that brings suffering, but obsession.

Nirvana isn’t becoming devoid of consciousness, but is expanding the self to empathize with every creature’s pain as if they were your pain, and understanding to Let It Go because This Too Shall Pass.

I do not know which of the myriad scriptures and translations you refer to by “original iteration”... but saying Buddhism espouses obliteration of meaning is like saying Christianity espouses enslavement of humanity to God.

EDIT: On the other hand, an uber-ghost preaching that such futility is indeed the case makes for an awesome antagonist. I always had a soft spot for antagonists with twisted ideologies and philosophies.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 02-06-2018, 12:29 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Not about Exalted, but...

It’s not desire itself that brings suffering, but obsession.

Nirvana isn’t becoming devoid of consciousness, but is expanding the self to empathize with every creature’s pain as if they were your pain, and understanding to Let It Go because This Too Shall Pass.

I do not know which of the myriad scriptures and translations you refer to by “original iteration”... but saying Buddhism espouses obliteration of meaning is like saying Christianity espouses enslavement of humanity to God.

EDIT: On the other hand, an uber-ghost preaching that such futility is indeed the case makes for an awesome antagonist. I always had a soft spot for antagonists with twisted ideologies and philosophies.
      I might as well add my $0.02 to this pot as well.

It's less about "obsession" though that's closer than desire, but rather about Dukkha. Basically "meaningless wanting" a good way to understand the concept that we've all felt is consider being in a restauraunt and you know there are two very tasty dishes you could order. You select one, eat it, and enjoy yourself, but that enjoyment is diminished by the thought of the other one, that maybe it could have been better.

I think where Isator is getting his info from here is the interpretation that the Buddhist ideal is a life lived without Karma, which is something different than Hindu thought or dare I say, Western thought's flawed understanding of the concept. The idea is to live a life in such a way, by compassion and the incredible empathy you're talking about, that one has no negative consequences that "follow after" their death. Leaving the world in a better place than it was when you arrived, because an-Atman, you have no "soul" that is immortal and survives death, you have only the actions you have taken which can cause suffering after you're long gone. (I'm referring specifically to early Buddhism, it gets weirder when you start getting into Mahayana or Theravada Buddhism, which is where you get things like the Dalai Llama.)

So that said, I agree with you, that's why I think the Bishop can be made very fascinating with sort of a warped vision of Moksha (Release) from the cycle of pain and rebirth. A sort of warped Buddhist thought, turned into a religion that preaches nihilisim and an embracement of death, spreading misery and the understanding of the sheer meaninglessness of life before joining the void yourself; in some ways he could be considered a reverse Bodhisattva (ironically enough) who remains not from compassion to free others from suffering, but from arrogance and self-aggrandizement; his goal is the same, the ending of suffering, but he intends to end all joy and love as well. Something no Bodhisattva would agree with.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
      Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

Working...
      X