Creation Swears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation Swears

So, what swear words have you guys used for your characters? One of the ones I heard someone come up with that I liked was "Mela chained and spanked!"

Placeholder

One of the guys in an old game said "Mela's Tits" once, and the Immaculate monk in the party smacked the crap out of him.

Comment

Horseshit and Bullshit still work in creation, though you can always mix them up with regional animals.

I've had NPCs say things like "Ahlat's cock!", "Venus' C*nt" (basically watch HBOs rome, take all of their swears/curses and replace the gods with those of creation)

"That green bitch/bastard" used to refer to someone being secretive (green being the colour of Jupiter/secrets)

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Hmm, haaving a brainstorm*

what if the names of ancient Anathema remain in modern language as curse? Good idea? Or like most of mine full of desus?

*ok, so a light drizzle. Dont be such a damn merela

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
          Hmm, haaving a brainstorm*

what if the names of ancient Anathema remain in modern language as curse? Good idea? Or like most of mine full of desus?

*ok, so a light drizzle. Dont be such a damn merela
          I could see it. Though I think it should be context appropriate. Like, in my game, there was a First Age Eclipse known as Deion, who became this boogieman anathema that would promise you anything, but would take that which meant most to you. And so a "deal with Deion" has become the proverbial "deal that sounded good, but you really regret making."

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            So, what swear words have you guys used for your characters? One of the ones I heard someone come up with that I liked was "Mela chained and spanked!"
            I believe that there was usually an F-bomb applied to the beginning of that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
              "Mela chained and spanked!"
              Maybe Lilith chained and spanked would be better?

Comment

Maybe Lilith chained and spanked would be better?

Ehhh. How well known is Lilith's name, for her to be a swear?
                Pasiap's bones rolls off my tounge well for an Immaculate swear (or Pasiap's Iron...*ahem*). Most sacriligous swears I can think of relate to crucifixation(Christ's Wounds and variations there of). Does anyone know non-Western sacrilidge swears?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

I have, working with kids IRL, minced "shit" into "Hesiesh", which I find to be a pretty cathartic swear. I imagine that perhaps Hesiesh is imagined to be the particular enemy of demons or witches and his name is invoked as an apotropaic, the way people say variations on Jesus Christ IRL.

But sexually.

Comment

I'm trying to think in what context a term like Empress's twat could be used now

Comment

I'm pretty sure the majority of curses worldwide involve the subject's mother in some way, so there's always that.

I'm trying to think in what context a term like Empress's twat could be used now
                      The context of being VERY far away from anyone who might take offense at your saying it. :P

Comment

Or, in the case of Volfer, the context of being in the midst of dozens who would take offense?

Comment

Eeeeh, where does these "Deity + Sexual organ" swear words coms from? They consistently appear in the Exalted's fandom whenever the subject comes up, but looking at Earth I don't any swear words that works like that.

At least in my country, Guanyin's tits, Jade Emperor's flaming cock or the like are not a thing at all, doesn't seem to be popular in the West as well according to all the movie that I have watched. I mean, why would a religious person attach the name of the deity that they reverence with a vulgar thing like sexual organ?

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                            Eeeeh, where does these "Deity + Sexual organ" swear words coms from? They consistently appear in the Exalted's fandom whenever the subject comes up, but looking at Earth I don't any swear words that works like that.

At least in my country, Guanyin's tits, Jade Emperor's flaming cock or the like are not a thing at all, doesn't seem to be popular in the West as well according to all the movie that I have watched. I mean, why would a religious person attach the name of the deity that they reverence with a vulgar thing like sexual organ?
                            Amateur hour:
                            The perception is that combining a religous sacred thing with a vulgar thing is a small blasphemy, which is a swear in the west (Zounds derives from God's Wounds, Christ's Bones refers to an existant body that shouldn't be around, God Damn It and For Christ's Sake, etc).
                            Some brief searching has found that the Medieval swears weren't as blasphemous with cursing as we might think(Though by God's Bones was a thing), and that most roman swears were about bodily functions/sex. The Exalted Fandom might percieve "Holy Thing+Sex=Forbidden thing, thus swear word."
                            Less Amateur Hour:
                            Go read some mystical christian experiences with Mary and Jesus and Micahel.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Ah, those aren't insults though. Medieval mystics having slightly sexual visions of Jesus or Mary isn't something they thought of as blasphemous. It's numinous.

Also, God Damn It, For Christ's Sake, etc, don't actually mix the religious and the obscene. The closest you actually get to that is "Holy Shit" or "Holy Fuck!" Maybe "Fucking Hell!" But no one says "Christ's cock" or "Fuck Mary" or anything like that. And even when people say "Fucking Hell!" they're not using Fucking as saying there's a particular connection between sex and Hell, they're just using Fucking as an all-purpose intensifier for swear words.

Looking back at Roman and other ancient classical insults, they didn't particularly do it either. "By (Deity X)" and "Penis" (as well as innumerable threats to penetrate your enemies or their families) were pretty common, but I haven't seen that they used "Jupiter's cock" or something like that a lot.

I remember when watching Rome, I thought all the "by Jupiter's stones!" was a reference to Jupiter's testes... but it actually refers to some actual stones that Romans often swore oaths on.

So, I think Jen is right. I mean, I don't see any great problem with using "By Luna's (vagina/penis/breasts/testes/whatever)" for Exalted insults, it's not utterly bizarre, but I don't see it as something people would definitely do.

Certainly, I can see people saying "By (local god)!" in shock or exasperation. And people can be inventive and combine things together. But I don't think "Mela's cunt!" is going to be a widespread swearword.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                              X