Creation Swears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenvious View Post
    Not one for profanity, but the thought occurs to me that calling someone a "Lunatic" may have a different meaning in creation (aka "Worship the god Lunar, and her Demi-God Exalted, and their Beastmen Children - to the point one behaves likes a Beastman despite having no traits of one; a degree of madness).

Another take could be to reverse a term used for a more Creation-Compatible Insult = Bitch of the Sun! (aka "a slut who obsessess over the Sun; considered a gold-digger; leans on success and fortune given to her instead of earned")

To point out, that's basically the root word of "Lunacy" anyway. The belief that the moon did strange things to the mind.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
    Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

Some of the suggestions in this thread are really good! I like the lunatic angle, especially among cultures with Immaculate leanings.

One phrase I've been somewhat fond of, though never really gotten a chance to use, is 'Saturn's about to make love.' It's something of an observation, when a situation is rapidly escalating and things are going to start going very wrong, very soon. When the goddess of death is engaging in a bit of foreplay it's probably in your best interest to run for the hills.

Soldier 1, watching the horizon: Hey, aren't the Realm forces supposed to be marching from the southwest?
      Soldier 2, absentmindedly sharpening his weapons: They are.
      Soldier 1, pointing: Then who are those guys riding up from the north?
      Soldier 2, dropping his whetstone: By the gods...
      Commanding Officer, silently cursing the stupid lieutenant who sent them to guard the baggage train alone: Steel yourselves, men. Saturn's about to make love, and we're right in the thick of it.
      Soldier 1, readying his weapons: Gross.

Comment

I think you are going to have to go back to why we call them "swear" words and "curse" words if you are going to make realistic sounding expletives.

​"Curse" words originated as actual curses you were wishing upon someone. "May God damn you to hell" and the like. This gradually got shortened to "God damn you" or even just "damn you".

​"Swear" words originated as part of giving an oath. Sometimes that oath was just a claim of fact. For example: "I swear by Jesus Christ that you are the most vexing creature I have known." This gradually got simplified as the context worked its way into cultural zeitgeist until we got something like "Jesus Christ, you are vexing". Now we are seeing what happens when the origin is forgotten and you shout that because it's traditional - no one really understands that they are actually swearing an oath. The casual use of "swearing" was seen as blasphemous and so gradually got conflated with "cursing".

​So, if you want something believable in fiction that follows this sort of logic, then you need to think of what sort of things different cultures would swear by or curse people with. "Ahlat's Horns" would be a good example of "swearing", while "Yozis take you" would be an example of "cursing".

​This does raise questions in my mind. According to the Immaculate Philosophy, what is the worst fate that can befall a human soul? Being reincarnated as a cockroach? Do any of the Immaculate Dragons do the judging?

Masters of the Industrial Elements
        Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
        Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
        The Underworld (3rd Edition)
        ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

"You dragon-forsaken fool"

or similar variations: "You dragonless twat"

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

"Dragons forsake you" would probably make a good curse.

​"Dragonless twat" doesn't work for me. I makes it sound like twats are supposed to have a dragon in them and that would just be awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post
              I think you are going to have to go back to why we call them "swear" words and "curse" words if you are going to make realistic sounding expletives.

​"Curse" words originated as actual curses you were wishing upon someone. "May God damn you to hell" and the like. This gradually got shortened to "God damn you" or even just "damn you".

​"Swear" words originated as part of giving an oath. Sometimes that oath was just a claim of fact. For example: "I swear by Jesus Christ that you are the most vexing creature I have known." This gradually got simplified as the context worked its way into cultural zeitgeist until we got something like "Jesus Christ, you are vexing". Now we are seeing what happens when the origin is forgotten and you shout that because it's traditional - no one really understands that they are actually swearing an oath. The casual use of "swearing" was seen as blasphemous and so gradually got conflated with "cursing".

​So, if you want something believable in fiction that follows this sort of logic, then you need to think of what sort of things different cultures would swear by or curse people with. "Ahlat's Horns" would be a good example of "swearing", while "Yozis take you" would be an example of "cursing".

​This does raise questions in my mind. According to the Immaculate Philosophy, what is the worst fate that can befall a human soul? Being reincarnated as a cockroach? Do any of the Immaculate Dragons do the judging?
              I'm guessing that the worst fate in the IP is probably becoming Anathema. The ground-level dogma decries "Anathema" as devouring the souls of mortals, so there's probably no piece left to reincarnate according to that line.

Comment

I thought it was possession, not devouring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                  Eeeeh, where does these "Deity + Sexual organ" swear words coms from? They consistently appear in the Exalted's fandom whenever the subject comes up, but looking at Earth I don't any swear words that works like that.

At least in my country, Guanyin's tits, Jade Emperor's flaming cock or the like are not a thing at all, doesn't seem to be popular in the West as well according to all the movie that I have watched. I mean, why would a religious person attach the name of the deity that they reverence with a vulgar thing like sexual organ?
                  I remember it as very much of a habit of a companion of Conan in the older stories, Fafnir the Vanir, if he's the originator of that trope or just the oldest iconic example i could remember, no idea.

Well, in the games i have participated me and the other players have toyed mostly with the above or [insert animal here]-mother/father out of a popular prejudiced and quite incorrect (or is it?) popular belief that beastmen come out of banging beasts.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post
                    I thought it was possession, not devouring.
                    In taking over, the vessel's original contents are gone forever. Makes for a handy way to convince people to kill them while ignoring all protests.

Comment

I think actually someone possessed by an Anathema is taught to be able to reincarnate; the purpose being to encourage his/her own relatives to kill the Anathema in order to save their friend's soul.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        Eeeeh, where does these "Deity + Sexual organ" swear words coms from? They consistently appear in the Exalted's fandom whenever the subject comes up, but looking at Earth I don't any swear words that works like that.
                        I vaguely wonder if it's the indirect influence of the Lensman series on English SF/F.

"Holy Klono"
                        "Holy Klono's claws!"
                        ...by Klono's golden gills...
                        "Klono's brazen whiskers..."
                        "...Klono's own gadolinium guts..."
                        "...Klono's carballoy claws..."
                        "Klono's brazen hoofs and diamond-tipped horns!"
                        "Holy—Klono's—Iridium—Intestines!"
                        "[Klono]'s got so much stuff—teeth and horns, claws and whiskers, tail and everything—that he's much more satisfactory to swear by than any other space-god I know of."

Comment

I had a Dynast who had dealings with the Mountainfolk, and was fond of "Dragons above and Maker below!" as a general expression of disbelief.

"Pissblood" works well for anyone insulting DBs, or real DBs insulting Nellens or Outcasts.

Comment

So how 'bout them regional swears/curses/insults? It just occurred to me that "pretty boy" is probably one of the worse things you could call someone in Chiaroscuro, for example.

Comment

Working...
                            X