Games and Sports in Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games and Sports in Creation

So, we all know about Gateway. What other sports and games are there in Creation, either organized or unorganized?

We can probably assume foot races are common everywhere, as is anything else where you don't need any equipment, like wrestling and fighting. Think anyone has invented Tag? Or Hide and Seek? Where would such things be common?

Snakes and Ladders has such a complex and widespread history that it's probably got an equivalent in Creation somewhere, maybe as a religious teaching tool. I'm sure other board and dice games exist.

....Think anyone has developed an RPG? I'm sure there are bored dynasts who would enjoy it and the whole "pretending to be someone else" aspect would likely make it frowned upon by the Immaculate Order and thus edgy and scandalous. What would such a thing be like?

Placeholder

In the courts of Prasad the people are fond of playing cards. Circular cards with elemental suites are used to play; the very finest decks are gifts made with stone-inlaid ivory and tortoise shell from the shores of the Dreaming Sea. People of status in Kamthahar and beyond the Empire desire the finest of these cards, fashioned by the Dragon-Blooded artisans of Kamthahar, or the masterful gemcutters of Lohan. Even those among the lesser castes have taken to the game, fashioning their own decks out of stiffened cloth or wood.

It is said that the legendary merchant prince Serissa of Madonai would pay ten thousand fortunes in silver to anyone who would bring her the Immaculate Deck, a deck of jade playing cards fashion by the hero Ophris Keridam as a gift to the rani-satrap. To play with the Immaculate Deck is to learn the heart of those you play against, a power that would elevate her business even further ahead of her competitors.
    Last edited by VioletDreamer; 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

An earlier thread on this subject.

My homebrew blog

Comment

DIdn't see it there, but the Maya ball game has shown up in a few first age ruins in the Dreaming Sea(and among Dragon Kings) in my games.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
          Think anyone has invented Tag? Or Hide and Seek? Where would such things be common?

​I think you're talking about games there that are so elementary that it's like asking if people have invented singing.

​It's likely that just about every recreational community gathering in history has had some variant on games based on running around and concealment, especially if there are children who need to be occupied.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain
          Snakes and Ladders has such a complex and widespread history that it's probably got an equivalent in Creation somewhere, maybe as a religious teaching tool. I'm sure other board and dice games exist.

​Certainly, although keep in mind that board games are going to be different owing to how they probably don't have the technology to widely manufacture cardboard.

​You're probably going to more often have the kinds of games with simple rules and emergent complexity.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain
          ....Think anyone has developed an RPG?

Hmmm... I don't. I can't really imagine that they have the mindset for that kind of playacting, or for developing the kind of game engine for it.

​Or at least... not something quite as developed as the market today.

​I'm thinking of something like a cross between the Commedia Del'Arte and Murder/Mafia/Werewolves/other variations. Something based on assigning a number of archetypal or stock roles, where the rules are less about number engines and system interactions and more about procedures and constraints for how the characters act and interact, and they need to improvise out a scenario. It might be one where there's a concrete goal (or several, assigned to the different characters), or just about playing through an intriguing scenario.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Here's a little excerpt from an article talking about entertainments in Heian period courts:

Heian-kyo’s aristocrats had plenty of leisure time for sporting events, games, and contests. Men enjoyed watching horse races, archery contests, and sumo wrestling. In sumo wrestling, young men of great weight try to throw each other to the ground or out of the ring. When the weather was warm, men and women alike enjoyed watching boat races along the river that ran through the city.

Groups of courtiers played a game called kemari, in which they kicked a leather ball back and forth, keeping it in the air for as long as possible. They played in the same elegant robes they wore at court. Women used the stone pieces of the popular board game go to play a game called rango. The object was to balance as many stones as possible on one finger.

Each of the many festivals and celebrations on the Heian calendar had its own customs. Many involved contests that tested athletic, poetic, or artistic skill. For example, in the Festival of the Snake, cups of wine were floated in a stream. Guests took a cup and drank from it. Then they had to think up and recite a poem. Other special days featured contests that judged the best-decorated fans, the most fragrant perfumes, the loveliest artwork, or the most graceful dancing.

Dancing was an important skill for Heian-kyo’s nobles, since dance was part of nearly every festival. Bugaku performances were a popular form of entertainment. Bugaku combined dance with music and drama. Bugaku dancers wore masks and acted out a simple story using memorized movements.

I think that one common element to take from accounts such as these is that these sorts of games are primarily played at community gatherings, whether they be the galas of aristocrats and courtiers, associations of the middle class (either rotating through somebody's house or in dedicated gathering spaces, depending on the style and the economy of the time), or in a commonly held field. The accoutrements will be necessarily simple, because they can't generally have dedicated maintenance. Really big things such as Greco-Roman chariot racing and Mexican ball games have existed, but they're historical outliers.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

If I run a game in the South anytime soon I'll definitely include the Delzahn sport of "carcass polo" (which is a real thing in Central Asia where I live now), where two teams on horseback must pickup and move an animal carcass to the other teams goal. Of course being the fastest rider is important, but you can also just be strong enough to pull your opponent off their horse.

Maybe in the North there could be an equivalent for the Iditarod among the Icewalkers. Perhaps when a certain constellation lines up or something is when they start the race (although with the Bull around that might not be happening anymore).

I can also imagine there being an occasional multinational sports competition ala the Olympics for the River Province, perhaps to celebrate their victory over the Realm. Like, every 3 years at the height of the Season of Air, contestants, celebrities, dignitaries and other VIP's all come together, temporarily put aside their differences (at least their hostilities), and compete in a variety of contests. It could also be very fertile ground for intrigue between all the different powers attending.

I also imagine that Creation probably has an equivalent to Mancala, since you only need some rocks to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Hmmm... I don't. I can't really imagine that they have the mindset for that kind of playacting, or for developing the kind of game engine for it.
                ​Or at least... not something quite as developed as the market today.

​I'm thinking of something like a cross between the Commedia Del'Arte and Murder/Mafia/Werewolves/other variations. Something based on assigning a number of archetypal or stock roles, where the rules are less about number engines and system interactions and more about procedures and constraints for how the characters act and interact, and they need to improvise out a scenario. It might be one where there's a concrete goal (or several, assigned to the different characters), or just about playing through an intriguing scenario.
                Wasn't the oldest recorded/known roleplaying game from like ancient Babylon or something?
                I mean it wasn't quite the same as how we see rpg's since it was a kind of training thing for city leaders on how they would rule a city and deal with different situations but it was more or less an rpg.

I'm making the Tales of Exalts webcomic
                http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...ales-of-exalts
                alchemical report http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...hemical-Report
                the fall http://xanroth.deviantart.com/gallery/55265686/the-fall

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of a card game that was something halfway between poker and tarot (the fortunetelling kind), with the cards doubling as the chips. Cards with unique symbols and figures, that can be interpreted in varied ways, but always keep underlying themes, and whose meaning is inverted/changed if they turn up inverted.
                  Then something something betting cards for other cards something something obligatory trade something. (I'll figure out vague rules later, and I honestly can't be bothered to think up precise rules for a fictional game that might never come up anyway.)
                  Each game phase represents the past, the present, and the future. Whatever card you end up with tells something about each part of your life.
                  It probably doesn't have any actual fortunetelling capacity in itself, unless gods or other such beings are involved. When taken seriously, it is mostly for superstitious or religious reasons, and it's hard to find a player who doesn't take it seriously. As it involves no money and no need for literacy, it can potentially be played by anyone as long as they get their hands on a deck. Provides tons of reasons for conflicts, brawls ("Ooooh I know you cheated when you gave me the Golden Chain, and now I'm stuck with that in my future, you sonuva-"), predictions and, well, stuff.
                  Either because of the fights it generates or its reputation as a gambling game (where you gamble your fate instead of money), it's banned in quite a few places.

Gotta figure out a name for this game...

Part-time table flipper.

Comment

A long time ago in 1st edition, my friend and I came up with a Game for mortals called Zuul

it's a bit like lacrosse, trac-ball, and basketball.

There are two teams or more.
                    Each team has 5 players
                    One Goalie who wears a board on his back which has a hoop on it (like a basketball hoop)
                    Two defense with lacrosse sticks
                    Two Offences with trac-ball rackets
                    and one Leather Ball

the point of the game is to get the ball into your opponents hoop a set number of times - The only rules are that the no one cant stop moving unless knocked unconscious or dead (death is normally for reserved for games for royalty to watch).

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

One thing to consider for Creation is the influence of the First Age. While I grant that not even the people of the First Age might have developed RPGs, they certainly had the sophistication and wealth to create dedicated and complex accoutrements for sports and games. These might have been passed down and end up being used in very strange ways.

For example, an idea I had for a nation was one that developed a unique style of combat with a unique weapon because their war god was once the god of a particular First Age Sport and he managed to bribe a couple of other gods to help him win a couple of wars, if the people followed his "rules for fighting."

I could also imagine a place that has been using up some First Age sports equipment for religious purposes and is now facing a dreadful shortage and either governmental or religious instability or both because of it.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by Houlio View Post
                        Maybe in the North there could be an equivalent for the Iditarod among the Icewalkers. Perhaps when a certain constellation lines up or something is when they start the race (although with the Bull around that might not be happening anymore).
                        Sled weasel races!

Comment

Let's not forget Martial Arts
                          Dojo challenges, exhibition fights, archery competitions, sword feats, riding competitions all would be very popular in any culture

Comment

In a Dragon-blooded game i once played, the group toyed with the idea that long before making an actual sworn brotherhood, the characters as students in the Spiral Academy ended up carving a good niche for themselves as "star athletes" of the Spiral in a number of circuit of year-round inter-academic competitions that served to display their respective schools' attention to the essentials of dynastic education - riding, melee, archery, performance (singing, poetry, musical displays, etc) and others in a number of public or limited attendance events. College sports, Realm edition with twists, basically.

Half the fun was in how these and other bits affected the PCs connections, fame or infamy, rivalries and friendships in the Spiral or the other secondary academies, interactions (friendly, inimical, romantic, other) with relatives - their own or those of friends & rivals - and complications generated in the road of their adventuring glory as they went on with adult life after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

Sled weasel races!

They're even better than huskies.

Another consideration I just thought of would be something akin to academic conferences. Perhaps places like the Varang Confederacy, Sijan, Great Forks, Lookshy, and/or Nexus have annual meetings of scholars/academics who debate about the best avenues for their disciplines (I chose those specific locales for math/astronomy, biology/theology, theology, engineering/military science, and economics respectively). While not as exciting as more physical sports perhaps, they are contentious and can have a huge effect on how scholarly work is carried out. I can also imagine these can get pretty wild if an angry sorcerer or two gets involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X